2018 NFL Playoffs

Mavric

The general concept for the NFL's OT is hot garbage. I can live with it in the regular season but there's no excuse for a playoff game to end like that, and I had no dog in the fight last night.

Every single other major professional sport in this country has some form of a balanced overtime: baseball is an extra inning, basketball has extra minutes and hockey has extra minutes + a shootout. College football OT isn't perfect but it's certainly more equitable.

As for the officiating yesterday, it wasn't great. Lots of problems and I don't think they all necessarily fall on the refs blowing calls. Some of it is issues at the macro level of football. But, if I'm a Saints fan, I'm also lamenting Brees going 4/11 in the final quarter and them turning the ball over in OT. If I'm a Chiefs fan, I'm frustrated that the defense allowed three 3rd and Long conversions in OT. There were a lot of opportunities for both losing teams yesterday to play better and they didn't. It doesn't negate some of the OT issues and bad officiating, but, it's certainly part of the puzzle.

33 minutes ago, Enhance said:

The general concept for the NFL's OT is hot garbage. I can live with it in the regular season but there's no excuse for a playoff game to end like that, and I had no dog in the fight last night.

Every single other major professional sport in this country has some form of a balanced overtime: baseball is an extra inning, basketball has extra minutes and hockey has extra minutes + a shootout. College football OT isn't perfect but it's certainly more equitable.

As for the officiating yesterday, it wasn't great. Lots of problems and I don't think they all necessarily fall on the refs blowing calls. Some of it is issues at the macro level of football. But, if I'm a Saints fan, I'm also lamenting Brees going 4/11 in the final quarter and them turning the ball over in OT. If I'm a Chiefs fan, I'm frustrated that the defense allowed three 3rd and Long conversions in OT. There were a lot of opportunities for both losing teams yesterday to play better and they didn't. It doesn't negate some of the OT issues and bad officiating, but, it's certainly part of the puzzle.

one of those 3 and 10s was a horrendous roughing the passer call....which resulted on a fresh set of downs and a TD but hey, if Chiefs played in the first half like they did in second half, this would be a different outcome...

I hope people who don't want officials to "decide the game" with a call late in the game remember this.  Officials can "decide the game" just as much with a non-call as they can with a call.  You make the call if/when it's there.  Doesn't matter if it's the first two minutes or the last minute.

• Plus1 2
6 hours ago, Mavric said:

I hope people who don't want officials to "decide the game" with a call late in the game remember this.  Officials can "decide the game" just as much with a non-call as they can with a call.  You make the call if/when it's there.  Doesn't matter if it's the first two minutes or the last minute.

This is bad.  But, just as bad was the no call on the defender who hit Mahome's shoulder pads and lightly grazed his face mask (which I thought the no call was correct)......only to late in the game have Brady be hit on the shoulder pads with no touching of the face mask....FLAG.  I believe that flag kept a drive alive that ultimately helped decide the game.

I don't agree with a lot fo the Tom Brady hate I hear.  But.....dang....the refs protect him from the slightest bit of contact when there have been numerous examples of them not doing the same thing to other QBs.

On 1/21/2019 at 8:10 AM, Enhance said:

If I'm a Chiefs fan, I'm frustrated that the defense allowed three 3rd and Long conversions in OT. There were a lot of opportunities for both losing teams yesterday to play better and they didn't. It doesn't negate some of the OT issues and bad officiating, but, it's certainly part of the puzzle.

As a Chiefs fan, I was upset over three calls.  Two of them came on the go-ahead TD drive during regulation.

Whether Edelman (sp?) touches the ball or not was one of them.  When the call on the field is made, I thought you had to have clear video evidence to overturn it?  I didn't think the video clearly showed that he didn't touch it.

The roughing the passer call is one I assume all have seen.

The Hogan catch is one I just may not understand the rules for.  He pulls the ball in with one hand and goes to ground, at which point the ball escapes him.  How's that a catch?

I was laughing when the preseason games were being shown and the local homers were going on about how great the Chiefs were going to be this season but damn if they didn't overachieve with a rookie QB (following a season in which a former backup won the Super Bowl with the Eagles)!  I guess I'll stay on the bandwagon for this team that seems to be perennially half-built.