Athlon Way-Too-Early Top 25 College Football Rankings for 2019

2 minutes ago, GBRFAN said:

i would say it is 1 of 3 factors:

- How you finished previous year

- How your current and incoming players are going to improve or not improve your team

- What your schedule looks like 

You think these voters (AP or Coaches) take the time to evaluate current players' progress, and tendencies for improvement, while also evaluating the ceilings of every incoming player on every team?

Just now, B.B. Hemingway said:

You think these voters (AP or Coaches) take the time to evaluate current players' progress, and tendencies for improvement, while also evaluating the ceilings of every incoming player on every team?

I don't think most of them do, but some more informed voters will take into account the roster turnover from year over year.  I mentioned earlier how Sam McKewon was roasted for leaving Michigan State out of his 2016 preseason poll after they had reached the college football playoff the year before.  He commented on how the roster was changing, especially at QB.

1 minute ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I don't think most of them do, but some more informed voters will take into account the roster turnover from year over year.  I mentioned earlier how Sam McKewon was roasted for leaving Michigan State out of his 2016 preseason poll after they had reached the college football playoff the year before.  He commented on how the roster was changing, especially at QB.

As annoying as he can be, Sam is a more thorough journalist than most.

• Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

As annoying as he can be, Sam is a more thorough journalist than most.

I like Sam because he does the research behind his news articles, but I can understand how that sometimes makes him sound like a guy who thinks he knows everything.

I think most people have a negative opinion on Sam because he has written so many "negative" articles during his coverage of NU.  However, his job is not to give opinions, it's to report the facts, and during his years covering NU, the football team hasn't been very good.

5 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I like Sam because he does the research behind his news articles, but I can understand how that sometimes makes him sound like a guy who thinks he knows everything.

I think most people have a negative opinion on Sam because he has written so many "negative" articles during his coverage of NU.  However, his job is not to give opinions, it's to report the facts, and during his years covering NU, the football team hasn't been very good.

I have zero with the way he reports on Nebraska football. His articles are the ones I look forward to most across all of Nebraska media. It has more to do with his matter-of-fact opinion on EVERYTHING. A little bit of a holier-than-thou attitude (but not so much from a moral standpoint though).

• Plus1 2

3 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

I have zero with the way he reports on Nebraska football. His articles are the ones I look forward to most across all of Nebraska media. It has more to do with his matter-of-fact opinion on EVERYTHING. A little bit of a holier-than-thou attitude (but not so much from a moral standpoint though).

Yeah, I get that.  He can be a bit of a blowhard.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

no, not really - most broadcasters don't even take the time to know which two teams are playing on the field in front of them.  However, that is not to say that somebody that is knowledgeable about "college football" wouldn't have a basic feel of the team and be able to make some educated guess on where that team may be headed.

Just hearing the name "Scott Frost" should have an influence on the path of a team or they finished with "xyz" ranked class and lost x amount of key players - the same would go with schedule not guessing they would look at game by game match up's but may glance at their overall schedule and maybe a strength of schedule ranking to make a determination if it will be a meat grinder or cupcake.

Ehhh... only thing I care about is we are getting some love nationally which helps our recruiting.  I do see us as an 8-10 win team next year so 19 is probably in the ball park.  The goal of these polls is to get people reading and talking so I guess they accomplish their goal every year whether they are right or wrong.

We're gonna see half a dozen more of these before August, but I think Nebraska might be a bit of the "trendy pick" in 2019 like Texas was in 2018. I would love for NU to finish in the top 20 this year (haven't since... 2010), but for this season, I think an 8-9 win season is within reach.

1 hour ago, Saunders said:

We're gonna see half a dozen more of these before August, but I think Nebraska might be a bit of the "trendy pick" in 2019 like Texas was in 2018. I would love for NU to finish in the top 20 this year (haven't since... 2010), but for this season, I think an 8-9 win season is within reach.

And Texas turned out pretty well (for once)

• Plus1 1