***Official 2019 College Football Thread***

Mavric

51 minutes ago, killer cacti said:

Lol, get out of here. Alabama lost to Auburn in week 12 just two years ago before winning the title. 

And yes, the initial playoff rankings are irrelevant, but it is extremely insulting to the team that dominated the playoffs last season to hold them out, when they’ve still yet to be beaten. 

Lol, apparently you didn't read my post very well. Here is the important part again:

If you lose game 12 you’re unlikely to go to the national championship game unless something crazy happens.

Nebraska went to the national championship game in 2001 after losing to Colorado in its last regular season game, so it happens. But it's very rare. Late losses are always weighted more heavily than early losses, but if a whole bunch of other teams also have late losses, sometimes a team with a late loss gets to go. Wisconsin lost the week after Alabama lost, and the only options for the 4th spot that year were Alabama, Wisconsin, Ohio State (2 losses), and UCF. You and Dabo are talking about a scenario where both teams have 1 loss. It's the comparison between Alabama and Wisconsin that year. Wisconsin lost after Alabama. I would have preferred UCF but that's a separate discussion.

I'm ok with Clemson being offended, and I'm sure they use it as motivation. It just sounds silly to an outsider for their coach to be bitching about it at a press conference.

17 hours ago, Moiraine said:

Lol, apparently you didn't read my post very well. Here is the important part again:

If you lose game 12 you’re unlikely to go to the national championship game unless something crazy happens.

Nebraska went to the national championship game in 2001 after losing to Colorado in its last regular season game, so it happens. But it's very rare. Late losses are always weighted more heavily than early losses, but if a whole bunch of other teams also have late losses, sometimes a team with a late loss gets to go. Wisconsin lost the week after Alabama lost, and the only options for the 4th spot that year were Alabama, Wisconsin, Ohio State (2 losses), and UCF. You and Dabo are talking about a scenario where both teams have 1 loss. It's the comparison between Alabama and Wisconsin that year. Wisconsin lost after Alabama. I would have preferred UCF but that's a separate discussion.

I'm ok with Clemson being offended, and I'm sure they use it as motivation. It just sounds silly to an outsider for their coach to be bitching about it at a press conference.

The "poor little ol'e Clemson" bit is getting old. 

Waiting for the 31-0 or O31O come back...

• Plus1 1