How do you define retirement?

I had an argument with someone. I know the dictionary definition is that you quit working.

But I think these days it means you quit your full time job and start getting social security and if you get another part time job working 1-2 days a week out of boredom you're still in retirement. Said person doesn't think a party should be thrown for the retired person because it would feel awkward.

• Plus1 1

I don't think working a part time job 1-2 days a week nullifies being retired. If you've stopped your full time employment and have started drawing social security, you're retired. As for the party seeming awkward, I suppose it may depend on the nature of the part time job or how long it's been since they stopped full time work but I still think a retirement party is warranted. Hell, practically nobody would get a party if a little PT work was a deal breaker.

• Plus1 1

I don't know how anybody could stand not doing something while retired. My long-term plan is to hand my business off to my son (my daughters too, if they're interested), and focus on maintaining a small farm, and managing my rentals.... And of course golfing a couple times a week:lol:..... The thought of wasting away in a recliner, or meeting other old people for breakfast at McDonald's scares the hell out of me.

But, to answer your question, I think you can still consider yourself retired if you work 1-2 days a week...

• Plus1 1

For me, "retirement" hopefully, will mean when I get to a point where my current career is finished, I don't need the amount of income I'm currently getting, I can start living some off of what I have saved.......and I go find something else to do to supplement it.

And...play a lot of golf and travel.  

That "something else" I will be doing will have  very flexible schedule and doesn't have the level of responsibility I have now.

I will echo a lot of the sentiments mentioned above.  I would consider retirement as finishing my current "career" and being able to spend the time "not having to work".  I will live off what I have saved, along with doing activities to fill the time.  This probably would include some type of "work", but it would mainly be as something to help fill my time.

Other than that, I would like to golf a lot and do some traveling, as well.  When I was driving through Nebraska over the holidays, I thought it would be a fun, solitude trip to drive through Nebraska for 1-2 weeks playing various golf courses.  My wife wouldn't want to join me, so it would definitely be a solo trip.

3 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I will echo a lot of the sentiments mentioned above.  I would consider retirement as finishing my current "career" and being able to spend the time "not having to work".  I will live off what I have saved, along with doing activities to fill the time.  This probably would include some type of "work", but it would mainly be as something to help fill my time.

Other than that, I would like to golf a lot and do some traveling, as well.  When I was driving through Nebraska over the holidays, I thought it would be a fun, solitude trip to drive through Nebraska for 1-2 weeks playing various golf courses.  My wife wouldn't want to join me, so it would definitely be a solo trip.

I'll go with you!

Image result for two guys skipping gif

• Plus1 1

My in-laws are both retired. They sit around the house and do nothing most of the time. Some time at the gym, some time doing quilt stuff, but mostly just staying at home. Seems boring.

My parents both "retired" by quitting their long-term careers. They each got part-time jobs, doing something they thought was fun, and received a fraction of their former income. But they were both much happier than my in-laws.

• Plus1 1

I would define retirement as getting to a point where i had enough money i didn't HAVE to work any more. Every day would be lived on my terms, and my way. The only reason I work is for money , and I have plenty of interests to pursue if time/money allowed it. I cant imagine being bored or needing to work at all.

As far as a party, I think that's a thing of the past. People used to work the same place for 30 +years to receive and pension/benefits for retirement in return. The party was to celebrate that accomplishment, show respect, and say goodbye to coworkers/ friends you'd worked with most of your life. None of those things apply much  any more 

• Fire 1