How do you define retirement?

1 hour ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

Interesting. Around my part of the country it is still really common for people to stick it out at the same place for a long time, especially in manufacturing. I worked overnight-shift manufacturing until my business took off, and it seemed like there were always retirement announcements on the company portal for people that had been there for 30-40 years....My father-in-law retired a couple years ago after 46 years in the same manufacturing plant, and he wasn't the longest tenured employee up until his last couple years.... Retirement to him, thus far, has been farming. He has talked about opening a pawn/gun shop. He had his firearm arsenal appraised right around his retirement and it came back at $350K.:blink: So, if he chooses to go that route, inventory shouldn't be a problem.:lol:

That factory still offer a pension? My company had a full pension at 30 yrs and you kept your health insurance . The payout got better for every year of service over 30 too, so was well worth your while to stay as long as possible . That’s gone now,  so the younger guys really don’t care about staying here forever any more . 

• 3 weeks later...