How far Left, could a Leftist Left, if a Leftist could Left, Left.

17 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Wait....I didn't know she was in the Trump administration.

Why can't politicians get their facts right when they talk?

Don't take anything I say, or post in here as a defense of the Trump administration. 

Politicians bend and twist anything, and everything to fit their narratives. From the Roman Empire, until the end of time.

58 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

Don't take anything I say, or post in here as a defense of the Trump administration. 

Politicians bend and twist anything, and everything to fit their narratives. From the Roman Empire, until the end of time.

My comment was more about how (rightfully so) the left has slammed the Trump administration about statements that are similar.  I would have thought someone like her would be more careful.

Trying to convince people that the facts really aren't that important......:facepalm:

58 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

My comment was more about how (rightfully so) the left has slammed the Trump administration about statements that are similar.  I would have thought someone like her would be more careful.

Trying to convince people that the facts really aren't that important......:facepalm:

Ah, gotcha. 

Yeah, as charismatic as she is (and she really is), it can't hide the fact that she seems to be relatively clueless in regard to policy, government spending, etc., especially when you consider the position she was just elected for.... And yes, before anybody points it out, I realize that our bozo President is guilty of the same.

21 hours ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

We have a few different topics in the P&R forum dedicated to the extremes of the Far-Right, so I thought one dedicated to the absurdities of the opposite end of the spectrum would be fair, and fun.

To start this thing off, I really got a kick out of this one. It doesn't appear to be a parody, and from what I can tell, she doesn't work for "The Onion":

What part of this is political?

15 hours ago, Fru said:

If folks are gonna post these kinds of threads purely for balance sake, could it actually be focused on legislation and policies rather than just some looney tune on Twitter? 

The biggest dangers of the extreme left in America are more culturally ideological than legislative. There aren't really any overly far left policies on the table being taken seriously to talk about. 

5 hours ago, mrandyk said:

What part of this is political?

What do you suppose it matters? How are you defining political? 

Anyways, as far as critiques of the left, I've been a big fan of Jordan Peterson's work for the last year and a half or so. He's got some crazy ideas I don't share, and I actually just prefer listening to his lecture on psychology rather than his political takes, but I do appreciate his approach and steadfastness towards reason/personal autonomy/freedom of speech, especially in the face of the more hyper progressive crowd thinking that hashtag philosophies and shouting down are actual, substantive elements of moral virtue. Here's a good bit from him IMO:

14 hours ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

Yeah, as charismatic as she is (and she really is), it can't hide the fact that she seems to be relatively clueless in regard to policy, government spending, etc., especially when you consider the position she was just elected for....

I thought draining the swamp meant bringing in new people with fresh ideas.

3 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Do you think, based on her campaign and work up to this point, that she has no knowledge of the issues about which she speaks?

I have not listened to her enough to know. I’m commenting on this one statement where she tries to minimize the need to get knowledge of issues right. 

I believe her statement is a prime example of what is so wrong with our political discourse. 

As as long as you believe your pushing for the “morally” right thing to do, you can throw out lies, half truths or very misleading statements. 

• Plus1 1

43 minutes ago, knapplc said:

We could submarine any politician if we focused on one not-so-well-delivered thought and not their body of work.

Not submarining anyone.

I'm perfectly fine with holding Democrats to the same standard I have tried to hold the Republican administration to over the last two years.....without anyone's complaints here.

If they make stupid statements, I'll point it out.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, knapplc said:

I thought draining the swamp meant bringing in new people with fresh ideas.

I'm certainly not against that, and I'm certainly not against bringing youth into the room either. There's a narrative out there that the disdain for her from the right is because she's a young, minority woman. I'm not sure that's fair considering how far Left her political stances are. 

50 minutes ago, knapplc said:

We could submarine any politician if we focused on one not-so-well-delivered thought and not their body of work.

This is true, but she does come across a little lost in the interviews I've seen. I think she knows exactly what she wants, and is well versed in what she believes in. Outside of that? I don't know. She confidently said the military received a $700 billion budget increase, when that number is actually their total budget, and went on to say the military didn't ask for it. Which was also untrue. In the same interview she claimed "everyone" is working two jobs, when in reality it's 5% of the working class.

8 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

I'm certainly not against that, and I'm certainly not against bringing youth into the room either. There's a narrative out there that the disdain for her from the right is because she's a young, minority woman. I'm not sure that's fair considering how far Left her political stances are.  

I'm sure it's a little of both. She's full of the fire of youth, but she needs tempering with age and experience. I'm not sold on her being the next great thing, nor am I ready to dismiss her yet. She's a political freshman. Lots of growing & maturing to do.

10 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

This is true, but she does come across a little lost in the interviews I've seen. I think she knows exactly what she wants, and is well versed in what she believes in. Outside of that? I don't know. She confidently said the military received a $700 billion budget increase, when that number is actually their total budget, and went on to say the military didn't ask for it. Which was also untrue. In the same interview she claimed "everyone" is working two jobs, when in reality it's 5% of the working class. 

Pence had as many gaffes or outright lies in his interviews just this morning, and he doesn't have the excuse of being a political naif.

Either she's lying or she's misinformed or she's nervous in the service when the cameras are on. 

I think it's crazy the amount of time people spend talking about her. I think the burnout on her is going to be pretty rapid. Maybe she'll make another dancing video to keep the news cycle fresh.  :D

18 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

There's a narrative out there that the disdain for her from the right is because she's a young, minority woman.

The problem I have with this statement is the bolded word.  It's the appropriate word.  But, to this point, there is no reason for anyone to have "disdain" for her.  We disagree on issues.  The right is building emotional "disdain" for her to tear her apart.  That's easier to do with their base than to actually discuss issues.

Just an example of what's wrong in Washington.

7 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Pence had as many gaffes or outright lies in his interviews just this morning, and he doesn't have the excuse of being a political naif.

And, he should be called out for it.

• Plus1 2