How far Left, could a Leftist Left, if a Leftist could Left, Left.

2 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

I don't think she knows more about political policies than me? When did I say that? I'm quite certain she does, and she most definitely should considering the position she's in. My only issues with AOC is that she has already shown a habit for fibbery. She's admitted that she thinks what feels good, is more important than being factually correct. And her policies fall way too far Left for me.

You have posted here that you think she is inept at her job.  It's on page 2.  So one can only draw the conclusion that if you think she is inept, you have to know more about policy than she does.  Otherwise you couldn't know if she is or she isn't inept.

24 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

You have posted here that you think she is inept at her job.  It's on page 2.  So one can only draw the conclusion that if you think she is inept, you have to know more about policy than she does.  Otherwise you couldn't know if she is or she isn't inept.

You've never criticized anyone in a different field, like say, a Nebraska football coach, or player? Never anything like that?  Interesting.

Just because I don't think she's shown the knowledge to be a member of Congress, doesn't mean I think I'm qualified.

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

You've never criticized anyone in a different field, like say, a Nebraska football coach, or player? Never anything like that?  Interesting.

Just because I don't think she's shown the knowledge to be a member of Congress, doesn't mean I think I'm qualified.

I'm sure I have criticized people.  I usually don't back it up with partial truth tweets though

• Plus1 2
17 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Not to derail the thread, but this is also a pretty decent description of The Daily Show & John Oliver's show.

I'd be hesitant to say they're equal opposites. Daily Show and John Oliver are comedians lampooning the political landscape. Shapiro is being exalted as one of the great conservative minds of our time. Jon Stewart took up political causes and involved himself in pushing for legislation. Shapiro, to my knowledge, hasn't done so. Shapiro made his bones by going on college tours to "debate" ill-prepared college students. Noah and Stewart interview established and accomplished guests. I'm unsure as to why you think they're comparable. 

• Plus1 5
6 minutes ago, Fru said:

I'd be hesitant to say they're equal opposites. Daily Show and John Oliver are comedians lampooning the political landscape. Shapiro is being exalted as one of the great conservative minds of our time. Jon Stewart took up political causes and involved himself in pushing for legislation. Shapiro, to my knowledge, hasn't done so. Shapiro made his bones by going on college tours to "debate" ill-prepared college students. Noah and Stewart interview established and accomplished guests. I'm unsure as to why you think they're comparable. 

The method is not dissimilar.

Which is probably not a great endorsement for Shapiro, since he's basically doing the same kind of show as comedians.

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, knapplc said:

Not to derail the thread, but this is also a pretty decent description of The Daily Show & John Oliver's show.

They are similar. The biggest distinction being that while Oliver/Noah/previously Stewart would be loose or selective enough with facts to craft a compelling (yet usually not inaccurate) narrative, they don't necessarily try to trap their opponents in a corner or prey on their lack of training with public debate. The only time they engage in anything similarly manipulative as that is when they make those funny video montages interviewing dummies in the street.

• Plus1 2

Just now, StPaulHusker said:

Well s#!t

Again I probably have to listen to more of Shapiro's stuff to get a better read on him. I started his LONG Joe Rogan interview (2 hr 40 min) on Youtube last night. But this doesn't seem great.

Criticize the guy in pubic to look independent-minded, but schmooze him behind the scenes.

3 minutes ago, Clifford Franklin said:

Again I probably have to listen to more of Shapiro's stuff to get a better read on him. I started his LONG Joe Rogan interview (2 hr 40 min) on Youtube last night. But this doesn't seem great.

Criticize the guy in pubic to look independent-minded, but schmooze him behind the scenes.

I should have known better

7 minutes ago, Clifford Franklin said:

That interview will tell you alot about Shapiro. I am not fond of the guy. He has a very rigid point of view that he frames as factual and watertight but the issues he discusses are not the black and white pictures he paints.

• Plus1 2
2 hours ago, Landlord said:

They are similar. The biggest distinction being that while Oliver/Noah/previously Stewart would be loose or selective enough with facts to craft a compelling (yet usually not inaccurate) narrative, they don't necessarily try to trap their opponents in a corner or prey on their lack of training with public debate. The only time they engage in anything similarly manipulative as that is when they make those funny video montages interviewing dummies in the street.

That's true, I spaced that. But even then, that stuff isn't their entire schtick, and is the kind of stuff one would expect from comedians, not a celebrated political mind. 

• Plus1 1