How far Left, could a Leftist Left, if a Leftist could Left, Left.

On 1/10/2019 at 1:07 PM, Clifford Franklin said:

I didn't really even need this. I've heard one of Shapiro's podcasts or speeches where he was explaining about how Black people aren't at any kind of disadvantage.

Below is a video where he seems to never have heard of marijuana or the fact that usage of marijuana is not significantly different for Blacks and Whites but the arrest rate of Blacks for marijuana is 4x as high as it is for Whites and is highly correlated with the increase in single parent Black families. I would like him to explain to me why the arrest rate for Blacks is so much higher for doing the same thing at a similar rate to Whites.

county_distribution_disparities.png

The war on drugs started in 1971. From 1970 to 1980 the % of children born to unmarried Black women increased from ~36% to ~56%. In that same time period, the % of children born to unmarried White women increased from 5% to 12%.

maritaldecline.jpg

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

downloadfile.gif

You're wrong if you agree with this guy. "It's a culture problem" is subconscious/veiled racism. It's an opinion that relies only on feelings and no data. No matter how smart Shapiro makes it sound, he has zero data to back up what he's spewing when he says this. He's listing out a bunch of things that are negatives while trying to sound angry, but he has nothing to back up his conclusion on the cause of these things, which is that it's a cultural problem only. It's pretty easy to see how his arguments work. Just come up with a made up cause of something, then state a bunch of facts about the something in order to sound smart. I think he is smart, but he's relying on the fact that no one can check the data while he's giving a speech, and he can mislead with the data.

You can take each and every one of the things he pukes out angrily and there is an explanation on why that has nothing to do with whatever culture problem he's talking about. I'll take one of them - "You tell me why Black kids aren't graduating high school!" Black kids are more likely to attend schools with below average funding. Black kids are less likely to have parents and grandparents who received a high school or college education. Their grandparents and great grandparents grew up when there was still segregation. It's a legitimate/valid reason. Those people are alive right now. It wasn't that long ago.

And before anyone starts the "but there are poor White people who make it" argument, we're talking about a rate. Black people are successful, too, but the rate is lower because more are born into poverty.

• Plus1 8
  • Fire 1

Here's another example of his assumption his audience is stupid. He purposely leaves out the poverty rate for non-married Black families and White married couples, because that's the correct comparison to make but the data likely refutes his point. That data would show that Black married couples are poorer than White married couples, and Black single moms are poorer than White single moms. He's purposely misleading the audience.

The poverty rate among non-married white families was 22% in 2008; that same year the poverty rate among black married couples was less than 7%.

But what happened to racism? Why weren’t those black married couples poorer than the single white moms? Because it doesn’t have to do with color; it has to do with life decisions.

Also, no one is arguing that the only cause of poverty for a Black person is systematic racism. Not being married and facing systematic racism as a Black person can both be factors. Not being married is probably a larger one.

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1

I'm not totally in agreement with Shapiro that past systematic issues against the poor (all races) hasn't had anything to do with the issues in the inner cities . But I do agree that culture, and dependency is a huge problem. Poverty doesn't make you sell drugs, do drugs, pull that trigger, skip school, miss out on the minority education-handouts for college,impregnate women without the ability to support a child, join that gang, hit that woman, etc. It doesn't make you do ANY of that. And saying otherwise is ridiculous, in my opinion. It may not be easy, and it may be harder to do than it is for poor white people (though I don't think so), but it IS entirely possible to remove yourself from that environment/culture, and make something better for yourself. I won't say any more on it, because you, I, and a few others have been around this topic more than once already.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

I'm not totally in agreement with Shapiro that past systematic issues against the poor (all races) hasn't had anything to do with the issues in the inner cities . But I do agree that culture, and dependency is a huge problem. Poverty doesn't make you sell drugs, do drugs, pull that trigger, skip school, miss out on the education-handouts for college,impregnate women without the ability to support a child, join that gang, hit that woman, etc. It doesn't make you do ANY of that. And saying otherwise is ridiculous, in my opinion. It may not be easy, and it may be harder to do than it is for poor white people (though I don't think so), but it IS entirely possible to remove yourself from that environment/culture, and make something better for yourself. I won't say any more on it, because you, I, and a few others have been around this topic more than once already.

This is very flawed I don’t even know where to begin

• Plus1 8
1 hour ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

I'm not totally in agreement with Shapiro that past systematic issues against the poor (all races) hasn't had anything to do with the issues in the inner cities . But I do agree that culture, and dependency is a huge problem. Poverty doesn't make you sell drugs, do drugs, pull that trigger, skip school, miss out on the minority education-handouts for college,impregnate women without the ability to support a child, join that gang, hit that woman, etc. It doesn't make you do ANY of that. And saying otherwise is ridiculous, in my opinion. It may not be easy, and it may be harder to do than it is for poor white people (though I don't think so), but it IS entirely possible to remove yourself from that environment/culture, and make something better for yourself. I won't say any more on it, because you, I, and a few others have been around this topic more than once already.

Just something to think about when we discuss African American and Indian population;  what happens to a group who is still trying to overcome institutional racism, when you take away their parental figures (through incarceration or force boarding school), then tell them that they should be better people while not funding their schools, their communities and continually giving them harsher penalties than their peers of other races?

• Plus1 5
Just now, commando said:

lot's of roll eyes in these last few posts.  guess the roll eye posse hard at work

tumblr_inline_nvvixw3ivz1so6ef2_500.gif

Glad they can eyeroll instead of actually having a discussion. I'll take eyerolls as them not acknowledging reality and believing in ancient aliens.

• Plus1 5
43 minutes ago, ZRod said:

Just something to think about when we discuss African American and Indian population;  what happens to a group who is still trying to overcome institutional racism, when you take away their parental figures (through incarceration or force boarding school), then tell them that they should be better people while not funding their schools, their communities and continually giving them harsher penalties than their peers of other races?

The removal of parents due to incarceration seems to be everybody's fault except for the person that was incarcerated. Disproportionate incarceration rates aside, if you don't want to be incarcerated, don't partake in illegal activity. Especially if you believe "the system" has it out for you.  Like I said before, none of the excuses you mentioned force them to engage in illegal doings. You don't have to be responsible for 52% of murders at only 13% of the population. Murder, and other illegal activity is a choice. Plain and simple. "Poverty made me do it", "The system made me do it" are excuses that would never be acceptable outside of the minority communities.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/12/2019 at 11:00 AM, B.B. Hemingway said:

Disproportionate incarceration rates doesn't mean all, or most of the incarcerations were wrongful.

My point is it is unjust that people get treated different by our criminal justice system for committing the exact same offenses based solely on the color of their skin.

And frankly, everyone has their own ideas about which laws are just. Pot would be a good example. An even more benign example would be low-grade  speeding or jaywalking. Or take some of those generally ancient but yet still codified nonsense state laws that are still on the books. Should those offenses be policed to the full extent of the law?

If we can agree that some laws are increasingly or already incompatible with our modern civilization, how do we determine which laws to enforce and which should be eliminated?

My point is I don't think we all have the same ideas about this. Human beings inherently don't agree on these things.But people's lives shouldn't hang in the balance based on decisions by those who run our criminal justice system deciding who deserves further scrutiny, to get pulled over, to get popped for what laws, how harshly to get prosecuted, etc.

• Plus1 5

I got lost at "poverty doesn't make a person sell drugs".   Have you not seen "Breaking Bad"?????!!!

All jokes aside.  I'm not impoverished, I wouldn't sell drugs or steal to support my kids.  However, if I saw my kids starving or need medical treatments I cant afford, you better believe I'm gonna do whatever it takes to feed/help them.  Laws be damned...

• Plus1 3