How far Left, could a Leftist Left, if a Leftist could Left, Left.

21 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

I'm not doubting you.

You can question the morality of that stuff all day long, but in reality it is good business.

Well yeah. And it's good business for me, since I cashed their checks. 

But if the original question was whether companies would willfully hurt people in order to make money, the answer shouldn't come as a surprise. 

• Plus1 1

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez Wants To Raise Taxes On The Rich — And Americans Agree

A new poll from The Hill and Harris X found that 59 percent of registered voters supported imposing a 70 percent tax rate on every dollar over the 10 millionth a person earns in a year. (Tax rates that apply only to income over a certain threshold are called marginal tax rates.) The idea even received bipartisan support: 71 percent of Democrats, 60 percent of independents and 45 percent of Republicans said they were in favor. In contrast, the Republican overhaul of the tax law that President Trump signed in 2017 — which decreased the marginal tax rate from 39.6 percent to 37 percent on married couples earning over $600,000 — has far less public support. A September Gallup poll found that only 39 percent of Americans approved of it.

It’s perhaps not surprising that Americans would support higher taxes on top earners given that tax rates on high income brackets were once much higher than they are today. The top marginal tax rate was as high as 94 percent in the 1940s, and throughout the 1970s, Americans in the top income bracket (which in 1970 was $200,000 and above, or about $1.3 million in today’s money) were taxed at a 70 percent rate, according to the Tax Policy Center. It wasn’t until 1981, when Congress and President Ronald Reagan implemented one of the largest tax cuts since World War II, that the top marginal tax rate fell to 50 percent. Over the course of Reagan’s term, tax reforms eventually cut the top marginal tax rate down to 28 percent.

• Plus1 1

^^ Speaking of AOC - do you think she is over reacting here, in panic mode, or is she living in reality (Gavien news leans far right but not extreme):

https://news.grabien.com/story-ocasio-cortez-millennials-were-world-going-end-12-years-if-w

The world is going to end in 12 years unless the government takes action, Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-N.Y.) said Monday at a Martin Luther King forum in New York City. 

Here’s an excerpt from her interview with Ta-Nehisi Coates:

“And I think the part of it that is generational is that millennials and people, in Gen Z, and all these folks that come after us are looking up and we’re like, the world is gonna end in 12 years if we don’t address climate change. You’re biggest issue, your biggest issue is how are going to pay for it? — and like this is the war, this is our World War II. And I think for younger people looking at this are more like, how are we saying let’s take it easy when 3,000 Americans died last year, how are we saying let’s take it easy when the end person died from our cruel and unjust criminal justice system?

How are we saying take it easy, the America that we’re living in today is dystopian with people sleeping in their cars so they can work a second job without healthcare and we’re told to settle down. It’s a fundamental separation between that fierce urgency of now, the why we can’t wait that King spoke of. That at some point this chronic reality do reach a breaking point and I think for our generation it reached that, I wished I didn’t have to be doing every post, but sometimes I just feel like people aren’t being held accountable. Until, we start pitching in and holding people accountable, I’m just gonna let them have it.”

UPDATE: Rep. Ocasio-Cortez responded to Grabien’s post. She writes, “For some reason GOP seems to think this is a gaffe, but it’s actually a generational difference. Young people understand that climate change is an existential threat: 3,000 Americans died in Hurricane María. The UN says we’ve got 12 years left to fix it.”

The more I hear and read what AOC says, the more I get the feeling she's the liberal version of Trump.

She has no experience in governing.  She hasn't been a politician.  But, she has the ability to say the right things in a campaign to get the base all lathered up to vote for her.....but, in reality, she really doesn't know anything about the issues and solutions.

I even saw an article where she was being praised for her social media skills and how she loves using it because she doesn't need anyone else's permission to say what's on her mind.

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

The more I hear and read what AOC says, the more I get the feeling she's the liberal version of Trump.

She has no experience in governing.  She hasn't been a politician.  But, she has the ability to say the right things in a campaign to get the base all lathered up to vote for her.....but, in reality, she really doesn't know anything about the issues and solutions.

I even saw an article where she was being praised for her social media skills and how she loves using it because she doesn't need anyone else's permission to say what's on her mind.

I made this comparison a few months back (somewhere in this forum), and I was run out of the forum for a few weeks. But, you're right.

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, StPaulHusker said:

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but if we only have 12 years to fix it, we really have 0 years.

Did you read the report? Me neither, but I still believe we can change courses away from the future where everyone dies a global warming/pollution related death.

3 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

But she's 30, not in her 70s.

I can see the comparisons, but it also feels like AOC has at least a little knowledge in policies and is probably way more willing to learn than Sunny D. On top of that, she has at least the appearance (though I believer her sincerity) of wanting to better America (see her going onto a Twitch Stream earning money for Transgender people).

• Plus1 1
13 hours ago, mrandyk said:

Did you read the report? Me neither, but I still believe we can change courses away from the future where everyone dies a global warming/pollution related death.

I didn't read it.  And I agree that we need to change course immediately.  What I was getting at was if 12 years is the line in the sand, we really don't have any time because it will take years for the people that can force the needed changes to not only agree what to do, but how to do it.  And then they will give companies several years to implement it.  

So we must do something now.  No doubt.  I just feel bad about the people that are going to suffer the most until then because it really is too late for some of them.

13 hours ago, whateveritis1224 said:

I can see the comparisons, but it also feels like AOC has at least a little knowledge in policies and is probably way more willing to learn than Sunny D. On top of that, she has at least the appearance (though I believer her sincerity) of wanting to better America (see her going onto a Twitch Stream earning money for Transgender people).

Additionally, most of AOC's platform consists of policies that have been enacted and been successful in other first world countries. 

• Plus1 3
13 hours ago, whateveritis1224 said:

Their age has should have nothing to do with anything at this point.  They are now in government making decisions that affect our lives.  Now, the big difference I see is that Trump is one person that is one third of our government.  AOC is one person in the House of Representatives that is a body of 435 people.  

My point is though, everyone's trying to make her out to be some type of rock star.  She's all over the media and talk shows like she's some amazingly knowledgeable member of government.  My opinion is that people need to rein in the hype around her, let her settle in and actually learn something about the issues and job.

She should not be the one with major influence in policy decisions other than her vote and obviously her ability to speak up in debates on the house floor.

2 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

She should not be the one with major influence in policy decisions other than her vote and obviously her ability to speak up in debates on the house floor.

I think she, or anyone for that matter, regardless of age or time in Congress should do all they can to influence policy decision.  That's what they were elected for.  And they are supposed to be doing the bidding of the people that elected them.  

• Plus1 2
2 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Their age has should have nothing to do with anything at this point.  They are now in government making decisions that affect our lives.  Now, the big difference I see is that Trump is one person that is one third of our government.  AOC is one person in the House of Representatives that is a body of 435 people.  

My point is though, everyone's trying to make her out to be some type of rock star.  She's all over the media and talk shows like she's some amazingly knowledgeable member of government.  My opinion is that people need to rein in the hype around her, let her settle in and actually learn something about the issues and job.

Welcome to a real leader. You can disagree with her politics, policies, or methods, but she's changing the conversation without having the power of the President, Speaker, or committee head.

• Plus1 1