How far Left, could a Leftist Left, if a Leftist could Left, Left.

21 minutes ago, mrandyk said:

Something something...both sides.

So when I point out wrong facts from one side it’s ....rah rah ....yeah.....that piece of crap....

when i point it out on the other side it’s ....... well.....but she’s fight for everything that’s good. 

My post has nothing to do with “both sides”. It has to do with pointing out wrong facts a politician is spewing. 

• Thanks 2
15 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

So when I point out wrong facts from one side it’s ....rah rah ....yeah.....that piece of crap....

when i point it out on the other side it’s ....... well.....but she’s fight for everything that’s good. 

My post has nothing to do with “both sides”. It has to do with pointing out wrong facts a politician is spewing. 

Sorry, I'm not going after you at all. I'm just bothered that AOC can be denigrated for statements that can be interpreted into half-truths, while Trump can just make anything up and people will try and equate the two.

Both sides should be held accountable though.

• Plus1 1

6 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

I saw this headline but didn't read the article. Basically, some whackadoo is saying a photo of coal miners is "black face" and they're offended, right?

Just now, knapplc said:

I saw this headline but didn't read the article. Basically, some whackadoo is saying a photo of coal miners is "black face" and they're offended, right?

Yes, and asked the owners to remove it. If they don't I'm sure there would be an attempt to ruin his business, because he would clearly be a racist, at that point.

People are weird.

Just now, B.B. Hemingway said:

Yes, and asked the owners to remove it. If they don't I'm sure there would be an attempt to ruin his business, because he would clearly be a racist, at that point.

People are weird.

I imagine that's the kind of person who wakes up in the morning and legit thinks, "What can I be offended about today?"

1 minute ago, knapplc said:

I imagine that's the kind of person who wakes up in the morning and legit thinks, "What can I be offended about today?"

There was a broader point to the article.  People will still agree or disagree to that point though....

"In art, everyone sees something different

Who determines what's offensive? 

For me, the coal miners disappeared and a film honored for its artistic merit, despite being the most racist propaganda films ever, D.W. Griffith’s “Birth of a Nation” (1915) surfaces, in which white actors appeared in blackface. The white owner saw coal miners in the photograph. Therefore, it was not offensive.

Fact: The photograph shows coal miners’ faces covered in soot. The context of the photograph is not the issue.

Students have painted their faces black at the Arizona State University Sun Devils’ Blackout football game. During Halloween people are encouraged not to wear blackface. Phoenix Institution of Contemporary Art showcased Bob Carey’s portrait of himself in blackface.

Art can be a trickster. People view artwork once and subsequently see something different."

• Plus1 1
9 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

People are weird.

"The operators of that downtown restaurant can choose to take the photograph down, leave it up or create a title card with an intention statement. No matter their decision, I think the photograph should be taken down — sacrificing one image for the greater good."

Edit: This article wasn't about one picture, or a restaurant (it wasn't even named).

5 minutes ago, funhusker said:

"The operators of that downtown restaurant can choose to take the photograph down, leave it up or create a title card with an intention statement. No matter their decision, I think the photograph should be taken down — sacrificing one image for the greater good."

We'll see. If it stays up you don't think the name of the restaurant would be revealed? The mob would be given their marching orders.

10 minutes ago, funhusker said:

There was a broader point to the article.  People will still agree or disagree to that point though....

For me, the coal miners disappeared and a film honored for its artistic merit, despite being the most racist propaganda films ever, D.W. Griffith’s “Birth of a Nation” (1915) surfaces, in which white actors appeared in blackface. The white owner saw coal miners in the photograph. Therefore, it was not offensive.

Fact: The photograph shows coal miners’ faces covered in soot. The context of the photograph is not the issue.

Students have painted their faces black at the Arizona State University Sun Devils’ Blackout football game. During Halloween people are encouraged not to wear blackface. Phoenix Institution of Contemporary Art showcased Bob Carey’s portrait of himself in blackface.

Art can be a trickster. People view artwork once and subsequently see something different."

Painting your face black at a sporting event is harmless. Painting your face black is harmless under every circumstance except for when you're trying to intentionally imitate a black person.

Honestly, this mass sensitivity is insane.

2 minutes ago, funhusker said:

That's all nonsense. This is the description of what happened:

A few weeks ago, I attended a holiday party at a downtown Phoenix restaurant. I walked around to view the photographs on the wall.

Then a photograph caught my attention.

Friends said, “It’s coal miners at a pub after work.” It was a photograph of coal miners with blackened faces. I asked a Latinx and white woman for their opinion. They said it looked like coal miners at a pub after work. Then they stepped back, frowned and said it’s men in blackface.

I asked the waitress to speak with a manager. Instead, I spoke with a white restaurant owner. I explained to him why the photograph was offensive. Evidently, someone else had made a similar comment about the photograph before.

Yet, the photograph remained on the wall. He said he would talk to the other owners and get back to me. While leaving, I asked him had he spoke with the other owners. He had not spoken with them, but mentioned Google said it's coal miners after work.

Words fail me for how ridiculous this is. 

Imagine this scenario:

ETTW3Uw.jpg

A few weeks ago, I attended a holiday party at a downtown Lincoln restaurant. I walked around to view the photographs on the wall.

Then a photograph caught my attention.

Friends said, “It’s a wedding party.” It was a photograph of Black men wearing suits. I asked an Asian and white woman for their opinion. They said it looked like a wedding party. Then they stepped back, frowned and said it’s men from the Nation of Islam on their way to attack Whites .

I asked the waitress to speak with a manager. Instead, I spoke with a Black restaurant owner. I explained to him why the photograph was offensive. Evidently, someone else had made a similar comment about the photograph before.

Yet, the photograph remained on the wall. He said he would talk to the other owners and get back to me. While leaving, I asked him had he spoke with the other owners. He had not spoken with them, but mentioned Google said it's a wedding party.

• Plus1 2