How far Left, could a Leftist Left, if a Leftist could Left, Left.

2 minutes ago, knapplc said:

That's all nonsense. This is the description of what happened:

Words fail me for how ridiculous this is. 

Imagine this scenario:

I don't disagree that his request was crazy.  But I also think he knew ahead of time his request would be ignored.  I mean, after being told it would be discussed by owners, it was "Googled".  I saw his point as being black voices were not being heard in Phoenix.  

Just now, funhusker said:

I saw his point as being black voices were not being heard in Phoenix.  

He has the right to speak, and he did. The owners have the right to understand that he was speaking nonsense and move on with their lives.

It wasn't that he wasn't heard, or that a Black man's voice is disregarded. It's that this particular complaint is absurd, and he should be embarrassed for complaining.

7 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

We'll see. If it stays up you don't think the name of the restaurant would be revealed? The mob would be given their marching orders.

Painting your face black at a sporting event is harmless. Painting your face black is harmless under every circumstance except for when you're trying to intentionally imitate a black person.

Honestly, this mass sensitivity is insane.

True.  But so is being over sensitive to it.   You know why kids cry? To get attention or help.  If they don't need help, don't give them the attention.

1 minute ago, knapplc said:

He has the right to speak, and he did. The owners have the right to understand that he was speaking nonsense and move on with their lives.

It wasn't that he wasn't heard, or that a Black man's voice is disregarded. It's that this particular complaint is absurd, and he should be embarrassed for complaining.

It's an opinion column for a Phoenix paper.  I thought those were created for people to complain....

7 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

We'll see. If it stays up you don't think the name of the restaurant would be revealed? The mob would be given their marching orders.

Painting your face black at a sporting event is harmless. Painting your face black is harmless under every circumstance except for when you're trying to intentionally imitate a black person.

Honestly, this mass sensitivity is insane.

Gotta pretty much agree with BB on this.  I fail to see how students painting their face black at a sporting event which is doing a "blackout" is anywhere close to offensive to anyone....unless that person is wanting to be offended.

I understand how it's offensive for a white person to paint their faces black to impersonate a black person and probably doing that impersonation in an offensive way.

However, the ASU students and the picture of the coal miners aren't anywhere close to that.

2 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Gotta pretty much agree with BB on this.  I fail to see how students painting their face black at a sporting event which is doing a "blackout" is anywhere close to offensive to anyone....unless that person is wanting to be offended.

I understand how it's offensive for a white person to paint their faces black to impersonate a black person and probably doing that impersonation in an offensive way.

However, the ASU students and the picture of the coal miners aren't anywhere close to that.

The author agrees with this.  

3 minutes ago, funhusker said:

rue.  But so is being over sensitive to it.

OK....I get a little sick and tired of this come back to so many things.

Stupidity in an attempt to affect policy or to affect someone else's life should be pointed out and ridiculed.  The people who are complaining about the person complaining about the picture of the coal miners is NOT the problem here.  It's the idiot who is complaining about the picture.  And...it's appropriate to call him that.

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

I was speaking figuratively. But the same people that doxxed the Maga hat kid. Would you be surprised if the restaurant suffered consequences if they left the photo up? Or at least had the name of the restaurant revealed?

The MAGA hat kid hired a PR firm and went on TV.

Yes, I would be surprised if the restaurant suffered consequences for leaving the photo up. This guy is a wingnut and nobody agrees with his try-too-hard stance on this. Search his name on Twitter. He's getting roasted (and rightly so).

• Plus1 1

2 minutes ago, funhusker said:

True.  But so is being over sensitive to it.   You know why kids cry? To get attention or help.  If they don't need help, don't give them the attention.

I agree. Though, I don't think pointing out the lunacy of this particular story qualifies as being overly sensitive to it.

To me, and maybe I'm looking to far into it, it came off as an ultimatum, despite how she worded the end of the article. I don't think it's a stretch to say that she could do significant harm to this person's business if the name of the restaurant was found out. And over what? Coal miners caught on camera after a days work?

1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

OK....I get a little sick and tired of this come back to so many things.

Stupidity in an attempt to affect policy or to affect someone else's life should be pointed out and ridiculed.  The people who are complaining about the person complaining about the picture of the coal miners is NOT the problem here.  It's the idiot who is complaining about the picture.  And...it's appropriate to call him that.

Maybe I'm projecting too much, because I did not think the picture was the main point of the article...

4 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

I agree. Though, I don't think pointing out the lunacy of this particular story qualifies as being overly sensitive to it.

To me, and maybe I'm looking to far into it, it came off as an ultimatum, despite how she worded the end of the article. I don't think it's a stretch to say that she could do significant harm to this person's business if the name of the restaurant was found out. And over what? Coal miners caught on camera after a days work?

The author is a black man.  He is a poet and art critic in the Phoenix area.  This "article" was an attempt to illustrate his feelings of his perceived status in Phoenix.  This wasn't some drunk lady at a holiday party throwing a fit.  

That's how I see it...

2 minutes ago, funhusker said:

The author is a black man.  He is a poet and art critic in the Phoenix area.  This "article" was an attempt to illustrate his feelings of his perceived status in Phoenix.  This wasn't some drunk lady at a holiday party throwing a fit.  

That's how I see it...

There has gotta be better examples of this than the one he wrote about. If not, I'd say he's doing just fine in Phoenix.