How far Left, could a Leftist Left, if a Leftist could Left, Left.

1 minute ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

It would obviously be on the low end of the "treason scale", but I don't think it's an overreaction. On some level, it is a betrayal of this country.

They aren't even interfering with the government's operations, so I have trouble putting it anywhere on the "treason scale". I wouldn't even consider it a "betrayal" of this country either as no one has been betrayed. Like I said before, it's a simple case of civil disobedience. No one was harmed, no violence was threatened.

16 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

It would obviously be on the low end of the "treason scale", but I don't think it's an overreaction. On some level, it is a betrayal of this country.

on what grounds would it be "treason"?   protesting by burning the flag s a protected right of freedom of speech.   they are violating flag ettiquette...something that most flags flying on the back of pickups are doing everyday.

• Plus1 1
15 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

The people who did this would likely say the same about the treatment of immigrants in detention facilities in the U.S. right now.

• Plus1 2

The irony is how many of the people in these facilities are even from Mexico?  

I don't support what they did at all.  But like others have said, a peaceful protest at these facilities is not unwarranted.  If they had taken the flag down and raised it "upside down" I'd probably throw my support to them.

29 minutes ago, Danny Bateman said:

The people who did this would likely say the same about the treatment of immigrants in detention facilities in the U.S. right now.

Obviously the conditions are far from appealing, but I'm not sure how housing, and feeding illegal immigrants is betrayal of the U.S. 

This country owes residents of another country, especially illegal immigrants, nothing. It's extremely unfortunate, and sad that there are parts of the world that are so poverty-stricken that their citizens have to make the journey a lot of these people did. I feel terrible for them, and I mean that.... But, it still doesn't require the U.S. to take in everyone that shows up on the doorstep. There is zero obligation there. And it has nothing to do with race. Unskilled, sick (white) people were turned away at Ellis Island on a consistent basis.

2 hours ago, funhusker said:

The irony is how many of the people in these facilities are even from Mexico?  

I don't support what they did at all.  But like others have said, a peaceful protest at these facilities is not unwarranted.  If they had taken the flag down and raised it "upside down" I'd probably throw my support to them.

They did, but they defaced it, as well as hanging up a Mexican flag.

They also raised the Mexican flag to the same height as the American flag, which is not OK on American soil (though obviously the least of their transgressions).

58 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

Obviously the conditions are far from appealing, but I'm not sure how housing, and feeding illegal immigrants is betrayal of the U.S.  

This country owes residents of another country, especially illegal immigrants, nothing. It's extremely unfortunate, and sad that there are parts of the world that are so poverty-stricken that their citizens have to make the journey a lot of these people did. I feel terrible for them, and I mean that.... But, it still doesn't require the U.S. to take in everyone that shows up on the doorstep. There is zero obligation there. And it has nothing to do with race. Unskilled, sick (white) people were turned away at Ellis Island on a consistent basis. 

Actually, we are obligated to take them because it's the law. If we don't like the law, we could change the law. But we are legally compelled to take asylum seekers and provide them food, shelter, etc. while we wait to process their asylum claims currently. If we don't we are in effect deciding which laws are OK to follow and which are OK to ignore - interestingly not dissimilar to illegal immigrants.

Claiming we provide them housing and food is quite a stretch. We're literally warehousing them and amassing them in cages in horrible living conditions. Calling them concentration camps is not really inaccurate.

To me it seems the cruelty is the point for people that believe in Trump's immigration policies.

• Plus1 1

On 7/12/2019 at 9:12 PM, B.B. Hemingway said:

Outrage? Nah, I don't really care that much.

Considering I can't stand Trump myself, I don't know why their disdain for him would bother me.

Ok...no outrage. 

But yet, you post about this in the thread you use to try to prove how whacko liberal people are.....for which you clearly don’t like. 

So, it’s pretty clear you don’t like that people are discussing this issue and you’ve tried to convince everyone it’s a faux issue.....even though you contradict yourself on that. 

• Plus1 2
2 hours ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

I strongly disagree with this sentiment. If that were the case, then we'd have never defeated the Nazis, accepted our own immigrant ancestors, given aid to other countries, etc. We owe them at least the basic rights we claim to hold so dear and self-evident. 

3 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

I strongly disagree with this sentiment. If that were the case, then we'd have never defeated the Nazis, accepted our own immigrant ancestors, given aid to other countries, etc. We owe them at least the basic rights we claim to hold so dear and self-evident. 

It's not really even a matter of what's owed. So I actually agree with B.B's assessment that we owe nothing. But, that's not the point. If everything you do is only because you owe it, then you're only living for yourself. It's about what's right and it's about what's best for all of us. That's why we made societies and cultures in the first place; to pool ourselves together so everybody could benefit. And there's no reason for that to just be our "tribe" of 300 million people anymore. 

• Plus1 2
2 minutes ago, Landlord said:

It's not really even a matter of what's owed. So I actually agree with B.B's assessment that we owe nothing. But, that's not the point. If everything you do is only because you owe it, then you're only living for yourself. It's about what's right and it's about what's best for all of us. That's why we made societies and cultures in the first place; to pool ourselves together so everybody could benefit. And there's no reason for that to just be our "tribe" of 300 million people anymore. 

That's a good point.

5 hours ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

I would have zero issue with this being considered treason.

I wonder where all of this fake outrage was under the Obama administration? I mean he has deported more illegals than Trump has and these illegals lived under the SAME living conditions through the Obama administration.

BUT since Trump is in office and everyone hates him, let’s (media) make it sound like this JUST started under the Trump administration and that he’s a cruel and ruthless SOB. 

As far as I’m concerned these illegals have a roof over their heads and food in their belly, something that a lot of our own legal homeless people and veterans aren’t fortunate to have. 

• Thanks 2