How far Left, could a Leftist Left, if a Leftist could Left, Left.

9 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

This woman did an awful job of trying to explain what she was getting at.  If i were to guess, she was trying to draw a line between what the White house served to something like this.  Junk food=Fast food

If that is what she meant, she's giving Trump way to much credit. Trump served them fast food for one of two reasons: 1)He was paying, and it's really cheap....2) he really likes fast food.

I'd say those companies are targeting their most profitable regions with advertisement. Seems like a pretty simple business move, and almost certainly has nothing to do with making sure blacks remain unhealthy. 

And of course, just because you see a commercial, doesn't mean you HAVE to eat the food.

27 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

Woke af....

Her point is a dumb one, but I don't know if you've seen McDonald's commercials lately. They're targeting a specific demographic, minorities. Predominantly black and hispanic minorities.

3 minutes ago, ZRod said:

Her point is a dumb one, but I don't know if you've seen McDonald's commercials lately. They're targeting a specific demographic, minorities. Predominantly black and hispanic minorities.

Again, it almost certainly has more to do with advertising in areas where they feel their product has been successful in the past, or can be successful in the future. Are you suggesting that these companies are out here trying to hurt minority communities? You think something as evil as that would be more important to them than profits? I would guess that you see minorities in the commercials, because if there were only white people the companies would probably face discrimination charges.

• Thanks 1

Yeah, it's probably too easy to jump on Trump for everything.

He likes fast food. College kids like fast food. It's an informal photo op anyway and a fun little twist on the format.

Shouldn't raise a tempest in a normal world but the news cycle has to chew up something 24 hours a day. That woman's racist dig is a reach. 

That being said:

Fast food is absolutely killing us. And as educated folks figure that out, fast food corporations are doubling down on poor and minorities. 

Also, Donald Trump is a fat, stupid f#&% who somehow manages to taint everything he touches.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
1 minute ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

Again, it almost certainly has more to do with advertising in areas where they feel their product has been successful in the past, or can be successful in the future. Are you suggesting that these companies are out here trying to hurt minority communities? You think something as evil as that would be more important to them than profits? I would guess that you see minorities in the commercials, because if there were only white people the companies would probably face discrimination charges.

You're both right. It's advertising in communities where their product has been successful, and will be in the future. Most fast food chains have a separate ad agency that handles minority marketing, and yes, you see minorities in the commercials because that's the target audience. 

But again, it's the target audience because wealthier and better educated people are eating healthier, a trend expected to continue. 

Would these companies willfully hurt minority communities? Well they will never quite phrase it that way, but since minority communities disproportionately eat fast food and disproportionally suffer from obesity, high blood pressure, diabetes and heart disease, the answer turns out to be "yes." I occasionally consult for Wendy's and Burger King, and can assure you that a lot of people get paid to cover up this simple fact. It's long been the trend in cigarettes, too.

• Plus1 1

3 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

You're both right. It's advertising in communities where their product has been successful, and will be in the future. Most fast food chains have a separate ad agency that handles minority marketing, and yes, you see minorities in the commercials because that's the target audience. 

But again, it's the target audience because wealthier and better educated people are eating healthier, a trend expected to continue. 

Would these companies willfully hurt minority communities? Well they will never quite phrase it that way, but since minority communities disproportionately eat fast food and disproportionally suffer from obesity, high blood pressure, diabetes and heart disease, the answer turns out to be "yes." I occasionally consult for Wendy's and Burger King, and can assure you that a lot of people get paid to cover up this simple fact. It's long been the trend in cigarettes, too.

They're trying to sell a product. My point is that I don't believe they'd change their marketing practices if it were predominately white communities eating fast food. I guess I don't think they're marketing it to those communities because they're black, but because they eat it.

• Thanks 1
18 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

Easy there tiger... I'm just pointing it out. You see minorities because that's the demographic they are trying to target to sell too, I think we all get it. Like Guy and LL pointed out they're targeting those groups due to income levels and other demographic characteristics. They're trying to make a buck, which isn't nefarious, but isn't great for those groups either.

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

They're trying to sell a product. My point is that I don't believe they'd change their marketing practices if it were predominately white communities eating fast food. I guess I don't think they're marketing it to those communities because they're black, but because they eat it.

Agreed. The less educated are the predominant consumers of fast food. It is not the fast food industry's fault that the less educated are predominantly minorities. They're just going where the money is.

12 minutes ago, ZRod said:

Easy there tiger... I'm just pointing it out. You see minorities because that's the demographic they are trying to target to sell too, I think we all get it. Like Guy and LL pointed out they're targeting those groups due to income levels and other demographic characteristics. They're trying to make a buck, which isn't nefarious, but isn't great for those groups either.

Haha. I'm fine! 

The McDonald's and Taco Bell lines are always pretty busy around my part too. We've got some minorities in the community, but it's probably 70% white people.

But as you said, I think we're all pretty much on the same page!

9 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

I guess I don't think they're marketing it to those communities because they're black, but because they eat it.

Well that's true. Leading to some pretty horrible conclusions we could draw from it:

1) Black people are more easily fooled.

2) Black people don't care about their health. 

3) It's cheap. It's addicting.

4) Beggars can't be choosers. 

3 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Well that's true. Leading to some pretty horrible conclusions we could draw from it:

1) Black people are more easily fooled.

2) Black people don't care about their health. 

3) It's cheap. It's addicting.

4) Beggars can't be choosers. 

I don't think it's fair to accuse anyone of acting on the assumptions of 1, and 2. There's no arguing with 3, and 4 I suppose.

4 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

I don't think it's fair to accuse anyone of acting on the assumptions of 1, and 2. There's no arguing with 3, and 4 I suppose.

Really?  You don't think ad agencies do studies on how to market to people based on their intelligence?  Or their health?  

Cigarette companies have been doing it for years.  

42 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

Really?  You don't think ad agencies do studies on how to market to people based on their intelligence?  Or their health?  

Cigarette companies have been doing it for years.  

Intelligence through racial demographics? I imagine those findings would be heavily criticized, no matter how true they may, or may not be.

26 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

Intelligence through racial demographics? I imagine those findings would be heavily criticized, no matter how true they may, or may not be.

Intelligence isn't the right word; it's about education and money. The findings themselves aren't criticized as much as the people who exploit them.

Again, I can assure you they use all the right words in public and on documentation to obfuscate the kind of profiling that doesn't really surprise us. 

I also used to do some consulting for Ladbrokes, the giant global gambling and betting company. We used to shoot TV commercial showing well-dressed young professionals at the race-track or card room, enjoying the food, the fun, the camaraderie of playing the horses or Texas Hold Em. We even had special hot dog nights for the kids. But our client admitted it was pretty much bulls#!t. The core customer was the gambling addict who more often than not came by himself. Ladbrokes knew the exact dates when Social Security and Welfare checks were mailed out, and they marketed around it. 

2 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Intelligence isn't the right word; it's about education and money. The findings themselves aren't criticized as much as the people who exploit them.

Again, I can assure you they use all the right words in public and on documentation to obfuscate the kind of profiling that doesn't really surprise us. 

I also used to do some consulting for Ladbrokes, the giant global gambling and betting company. We used to shoot TV commercial showing well-dressed young professionals at the race-track, enjoying the food, the fun, the camaraderie of playing the horses. We even had special hot dog nights for the kids. But our client admitted it was pretty much bulls#!t. The core customer was the gambling addict who more often than not came by himself. Ladbrokes knew the exact dates when Social Security and Welfare checks were mailed out, and they marketed around it. 

I'm not doubting you.

You can question the morality of that stuff all day long, but in reality it is good business.

• Thanks 1