Jump to content
B.B. Hemingway

How far Left, could a Leftist Left, if a Leftist could Left, Left.

Recommended Posts

This Jussie Smollett thing is not a "leftist" thing.  It was a money thing.  Using the right as the villain was an easy thing for him to do.

 

What is "leftist" is someone like Kamala Harris, as a presidential candidate,  saying that it was a modern day lynching before seeing things through.

Share this post


Link to post

7 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

This Jussie Smollett thing is not a "leftist" thing.  It was a money thing.  Using the right as the villain was an easy thing for him to do.

 

What is "leftist" is someone like Kamala Harris, as a presidential candidate,  saying that it was a modern day lynching before seeing things through.

 

I don't see where he gets money for it, it seemed like he was playing for sympathy and more face time in front of a camera.  I didn't follow this much, because I don't care about celebrity crap and don't watch TV often, but it really felt like he was really playing it up for sympathy and publicity.  The problem is crazy people like him with schemes like this not only take police resources from actual victims but also make people more likely to disbelieve real victims of hate crimes.  He'll be lumped in with the left because he tried to make it political with the MAGA crap, which gives people something to point to about the left and fake news or fake attacks to draw attention away from actual bad things happening.

 

I hope they throw the book at him.

  • Plus1 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, methodical said:

 

I don't see where he gets money for it, it seemed like he was playing for sympathy and more face time in front of a camera.  I didn't follow this much, because I don't care about celebrity crap and don't watch TV often, but it really felt like he was really playing it up for sympathy and publicity.  The problem is crazy people like him with schemes like this not only take police resources from actual victims but also make people more likely to disbelieve real victims of hate crimes.  He'll be lumped in with the left because he tried to make it political with the MAGA crap, which gives people something to point to about the left and fake news or fake attacks to draw attention away from actual bad things happening.

 

I hope they throw the book at him.

 

It has been said he did it because he was unhappy with his salary.  I guess, maybe he thought if he got away with it then it would drive ratings and his popularity which would make him worth more?  It's just a thought.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, StPaulHusker said:

This Jussie Smollett thing is not a "leftist" thing.  It was a money thing.  Using the right as the villain was an easy thing for him to do.

 

What is "leftist" is someone like Kamala Harris, as a presidential candidate,  saying that it was a modern day lynching before seeing things through.

 

 

There is certainly a leftist component to it. Not violence, but ideology. 

 

Several people, myself included, were shouted down and roundly criticized for even suggesting there might possibly be a chance that even a little bit of the story wasn't quite adding up. To many you just can not doubt the claim and life experience of a, in this case, black and gay man. In the effort to raise and hear marginalized voices, too many have forsaken common sense and using their brain and just immediately jump on board a claim or a narrative. Same with the Covington Catholic situation. 

  • Plus1 1
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, Landlord said:

 

 

There is certainly a leftist component to it. Not violence, but ideology. 

 

Several people, myself included, were shouted down and roundly criticized for even suggesting there might possibly be a chance that even a little bit of the story wasn't quite adding up. To many you just can not doubt the claim and life experience of a, in this case, black and gay man. In the effort to raise and hear marginalized voices, too many have forsaken common sense and using their brain and just immediately jump on board a claim or a narrative. Same with the Covington Catholic situation. 

 

I agree with you.  What I was saying is that what Smollett was doing wasn't a leftist thing.  It was a personal thing disguised as a leftist thing.

 

People who shouted you down, were doing a leftist thing by behaving that way.

 

Does that make sense?  I'm reading it and think it does but it might not to someone else reading it.

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, StPaulHusker said:

 

I agree with you.  What I was saying is that what Smollett was doing wasn't a leftist thing.  It was a personal thing disguised as a leftist thing.

 

People who shouted you down, were doing a leftist thing by behaving that way.

 

Does that make sense?  I'm reading it and think it does but it might not to someone else reading it.

Smollett used a leftist thing to try to accomplish a selfish personal thing. 

Share this post


Link to post
7 minutes ago, Landlord said:

Several people, myself included, were shouted down and roundly criticized for even suggesting there might possibly be a chance that even a little bit of the story wasn't quite adding up. To many you just can not doubt the claim and life experience of a, in this case, black and gay man. In the effort to raise and hear marginalized voices, too many have forsaken common sense and using their brain and just immediately jump on board a claim or a narrative. Same with the Covington Catholic situation. 

 

Where did that happen?

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, knapplc said:

 

Where did that happen?

 

 

In person and on twitter, which is really the main home of progressive leftist ideology amongst American citizens imo. 

 

'Shouted down' is hyperbole, btw. 

Share this post


Link to post
5 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Smollett used a leftist thing to try to accomplish a selfish personal thing. 

 

I don't think it's fair to classify "I was attacked by nazis" as a "leftist thing."   That's a criminal activity, and the fault of the right-wingers who are doing it.

Share this post


Link to post
4 minutes ago, knapplc said:

 

I don't think it's fair to classify "I was attacked by nazis" as a "leftist thing."   That's a criminal activity, and the fault of the right-wingers who are doing it.

Smollet lied -- why don't we just call it a Trumpy thing???  ;)

  • Plus1 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Landlord said:

 

 

There is certainly a leftist component to it. Not violence, but ideology. 

 

Several people, myself included, were shouted down and roundly criticized for even suggesting there might possibly be a chance that even a little bit of the story wasn't quite adding up. To many you just can not doubt the claim and life experience of a, in this case, black and gay man. In the effort to raise and hear marginalized voices, too many have forsaken common sense and using their brain and just immediately jump on board a claim or a narrative. Same with the Covington Catholic situation. 

 

Very well stated. That is why I felt this thread was as good a place as any to post this.

 

His motive for money and being stupid does not negate the method in which he pulled off this stunt. You can bet it was very calculated that he felt the language used by the would be attackers would be more easily accepted if he threw in some N bombs, gay references and MAGA. The fact many ended up seeing through his plan doesn't remove the leftist nature of it. And it doesn't delete the fact from all minds that a gay black man was attacked by homophobic, racist Trump supporters. If he was just a bit smarter with the execution it would've worked out beautifully.

  • Plus1 2

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, Landlord said:

 

 

In person and on twitter, which is really the main home of progressive leftist ideology amongst American citizens imo.  

 

'Shouted down' is hyperbole, btw.  

 

I would propose Twitter is a really sh#tty approximation of the real world. Especially political Twitter. Good way to get news, but terrible reflection of its actual impact.

 

Progressives on Twitter and social media in general are toxic as hell and usually not worth wasting any time on. It's an endless suckhole of uncompromising, angry groupthink that immediately tries belligerently attacking and chasing off anyone who disagrees with their notions of purity.

  • Plus1 2

Share this post


Link to post
33 minutes ago, Clifford Franklin said:

I would propose Twitter is a really sh#tty approximation of the real world.

 

If by 'real world', you mean the offline world that doesn't engage with twitter, then yes, agreed. Twitter is a bubble. But it's one of the biggest bubbles in the world/country.

 

 

33 minutes ago, Clifford Franklin said:

but terrible reflection of its actual impact.

 

 

I respectfully disagree here. Way too many people cancelled, doxxed, careers ruined, exposed, etc. via twitter

 

 

33 minutes ago, Clifford Franklin said:

Progressives on Twitter and social media in general are toxic as hell and usually not worth wasting any time on. It's an endless suckhole of uncompromising, angry groupthink that immediately tries belligerently attacking and chasing off anyone who disagrees with their notions of purity.

 

Yep. But those progressives are actually impacting culture and policy. The reckless journalists are pushing news from and to twitter. Living in Chicago for 4 years the amount of people  involved in campaigns, protests, marches, social work, etc. that I know who's ideology is primarily informed by twitter is... a lot. It's way too cavalier to dismiss it as just a silly online thing. It's a tremendously powerful place as far as shaping news and culture and it's pretty damn scary tbh.

  • Plus1 1

Share this post


Link to post
7 minutes ago, Landlord said:

I respectfully disagree here. Way too many people cancelled, doxxed, careers ruined, exposed, etc. via twitter

 

Yep. But those progressives are actually impacting culture and policy. The reckless journalists are pushing news from and to twitter. Living in Chicago for 4 years the amount of people  involved in campaigns, protests, marches, social work, etc. that I know who's ideology is primarily informed by twitter is... a lot. It's way too cavalier to dismiss it as just a silly online thing. It's a tremendously powerful place as far as shaping news and culture and it's pretty damn scary tbh. 

 

#1: That's true. What I meant to say was that political news Twitter is a medium that's great for getting news out quickly, but because it's such a bubble it's often hard to gauge whether breaking news will actually resonate and have impact with the broader nation or whether it just seems like big news inside the bubble because it's breaking. I've fallen into this trap many times myself.

 

The doxxing culture of Twitter and social media in general is terrifying. It's a side effect of social media that we really don't have a good answer for right now.

 

#2: You're probably right. I can't speak to being overly involved in those aspects of Twitter or life in a progressive area in general.

Share this post


Link to post

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.










×
×
  • Create New...