Mavric

#Offseason

Just a reminder to the "we didn't deserve to be there" crowd: losing badly to that Miami team didn't mean we didn't deserve to be there.  Were we in their class?  No.  Was anyone else?  No. 

We "deserved" to be there as much as anyone else did.  It wasn't going to work out well for anyone.

Miami may have been really good and maybe nobody would’ve stood a chance and maybe we appeared just as deserving as any other team but, after the debacle in Boulder, how we played and how we lost, I’ll maintain that we were not deserving enough to be there.

• Plus1 6
44 minutes ago, Mavric said:

#Offseason

Just a reminder to the "we didn't deserve to be there" crowd: losing badly to that Miami team didn't mean we didn't deserve to be there.  Were we in their class?  No.  Was anyone else?  No. 

We "deserved" to be there as much as anyone else did.  It wasn't going to work out well for anyone.

Exactly. 

Losing to CU and not winning the division meant we didn't deserve to be there.

There was no clear #2 going into the bowl games. After we lost, and then Texas and Tennessee lost their CCG's, Miami was the obvious #1 without a good challenger. We didn't deserve to be there, it should have been Oregon more than anyone. But I also remember Gary Barnett pouting on ESPN after the BCS selection when his 2-loss CU team didn't get in, and all of the exact things that had to fall into place for the BCS to put NU as #2 was miraculous. I was quite happy with that turnout, because it meant an awesome week for me in California.

16 minutes ago, Ulty said:

There was no clear #2 going into the bowl games. After we lost, and then Texas and Tennessee lost their CCG's, Miami was the obvious #1 without a good challenger. We didn't deserve to be there, it should have been Oregon more than anyone. But I also remember Gary Barnett pouting on ESPN after the BCS selection when his 2-loss CU team didn't get in, and all of the exact things that had to fall into place for the BCS to put NU as #2 was miraculous. I was quite happy with that turnout, because it meant an awesome week for me in California.

I just saw something odd about the 2001 CU team.  I wonder when was the last time a team played the top 3 ranked teams (at the time) in a row?  Nebraska was #1 when CU beat them in Boulder, Texas was #3 when CU beat them in the Big XII title game and Oregon was #2 when CU got beat in the Fiesta Bowl.

#offseason

• Plus1 2
58 minutes ago, Ulty said:

I don't really remember Barnett but Mike Bellotti's whinging always makes me laugh.  "The BCS is a cancer!"  Right Mike.  You would definitely have been in the Rose Bowl if it wasn't for the BCS.  Problem is, you would have been playing Illinois.  Nebraska would still have been playing Miami but the game would have been in the Orange Bowl.

Anybody that year would have been throttled by Miami in the Rose Bowl.

I think Florida and Oklahoma we're the only two teams in the country that may have kept things close.

Florida because Spurrier was still there and the Gators we're also pretty loaded. They still would have lost by two or more touchdowns.

Oklahoma because the Sooners had such a good defense, conceivably, they could have held Miami to 17 or 20 points. But the  Oklahoma offense would have struggled to get to six points against that Canes team. 

Miami nearly lost two games that year, if memory serves me correctly. They were loaded with NFL talent, but that doesn't mean they were the best "team" ever. Best players and NFL talent, possibly. Best team? No, not even close.  Nebraska had no business being in that game, should have probably been Oregon.

• Fire 1
4 hours ago, Wunderkind said:

Miami nearly lost two games that year, if memory serves me correctly. They were loaded with NFL talent, but that doesn't mean they were the best "team" ever. Best players and NFL talent, possibly. Best team? No, not even close.  Nebraska had no business being in that game, should have probably been Oregon.

Very spot on. Miami almost lost a few games. They beat a Nebraska team by 23 that lost their last game of the season by 30+ to Colorado. I have never been enamoured with beating us by less than Colorado did. Lots of talent but I’m not in love with them as a team. Lots of better teams in history over 01 canes. 

28 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

Very spot on. Miami almost lost a few games. They beat a Nebraska team by 23 that lost their last game of the season by 30+ to Colorado. I have never been enamoured with beating us by less than Colorado did. Lots of talent but I’m not in love with them as a team. Lots of better teams in history over 01 canes. 

They let off the gas.  If someone told the '01 Canes they had to beat NU by 45 that night, or else, they cover and there's no "or else" 

• Plus1 1