Well this is interesting...

Cornfed

39 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Have they out recruited us or out developed us?

I tend to believe it's the latter....for the most part.

I think its more about knowing who to recruit and then developing them.

Being able to recruit a certain kid who might not blow away the recruiting services and be able to take 3 years to train him up is where they have had success.

• Plus1 1
4 hours ago, knapplc said:

They have kicked our butts in recruiting on both lines. That's the difference.

I don't think they have. I think they've developed offensive linemen better. The recruiting ranks of the offensive linemen from 2015-2017 are in Nebraska's favor every year. We recruited at least the same number of 3 and 4-stars all 3 seasons and had higher ranked OT and OGs every year. 2017 is a little closer because Wisconsin had 1 4-star and 1 3-star and we had 3 3-stars. In 2016 we had 2 4-stars and 2 3-stars. Wisconsin had 1 4-star and 1 3-star that year, and a 2-star LS.

Even if you don't fully believe in recruiting rankings, they didn't kick our butts. I'm guessing at worst, it's been even the past 4 years.

• Plus1 1

11 minutes ago, Husker from Kansas said:

He has the potential to be the best QB they've ever had. He will at least make teams respect the pass

Potential is great, but we'll see. Bart Houston was rated about the same coming out of high school, and he's not making anyone's list of great Wisconsin QBs. Injuries may have been a factor there, I don't really remember - but not every 4 star QB becomes a stud. He's also rated pretty close to what Martinez was (although I think it's easier for dual-threat QBs to make an immediate college impact), so maybe he will be phenomenal.

I'm intrigued, and clearly the Wisconsin coaches love him because they were willing to burn Coan's redshirt for a low-mid tier bowl game. He shouldn't be asked to do too much with their run game, but not every freshman QB is ready right away.

• 2 weeks later...

5 hours ago, bazinga22 said:

Didn't  Bart Houston beat LSU and won the cotton bowl he wasn't awful as a senior.He played well vs PSU in title game in close loss as well

He was splitting time with Hornibrook all season so he must not have been great. That teams strength was their defense.

• Plus1 1
  • 3 months later...