ESPN: First 2019 Way-Too-Early Top 25

9 hours ago, Nebhawk said:

I don't know what next season will look like, but we are a few classes away from what Clemson and Bama have in talent.  To be completely honest, we are few classes away from winning any kind of Big 10 hardware, but even further away from Clemson and Bama.

Good news is that I think after last nights debacle, Saban won't remain king for much longer.  Dabo Swinney is a much more relateable coach and gives credit to his players more than himself.  Bama's kids don't look like they enjoy playing the game, while Clemson's look like college kids having a blast.  Something to be said for that.

Good post. By "classes" I assume you mean "tiers," right? If so, I agree. Especially athletically on defense. 

Beating both Wisconsin and Iowa in the same season is a bigger feat than most fans probably realize or care to admit. If it happens this season I will be a little bit surprised. Winning one of the two could still possibly put us in Indy.

At any rate, nice to see us in the pre-seaon rankings mix.

18 hours ago, Moiraine said:

Not sure what everyone is on about with Wisconsin. We lose to them consistently but they’re not some national power. 13-1 was as much of an anomaly as 8-5. They’ve consistently won 10/11 games but occasionally win 9.

We almost beat them in Madison with one of the most head scratching inconsistent shoot ourselves in the foot teams in program history.  It just feels like the series is about to swing.

11 hours ago, Nebhawk said:

I don't know what next season will look like, but we are a few classes away from what Clemson and Bama have in talent.

Both of those programs have a lot more talent than Nebraska has currently.  Alabama, has taken running out of their ears and this year's class is no different.  Out of 28 commits, only one is not a 4* or 5* player.  That's absolutely nuts.  However, when looking at Clemson.  Their class is much more pedestrian.  Yes, it's better than Nebraska's.  I'm not trying to say Nebraska's is equal to them.

But, they have 2 - 5*, 11 - 4* and 13 - 3*

Nebraska has  0 - 5*, 6 - 4* and 19 - 3*

I actually think we will end up with at least 8 - 4* commits.

Yes, Clemson's talent is better.  No question about it.  But, if we keep improving in recruiting, I think we can get to their level.

Interesting thing about Clemson's class.  We all probably agree we need to dominate in the trenches and that's a large part of how Clemson beat Alabama.  However, only 2 of their 13 4 or 5* players are linemen.  Meanwhile, I think we will end up with 2 4* linemen also.

@BigRedBuster What I always notice is that when you look at the recruiting rankings, there's a clear top tier in the B1G of Ohio State, Michigan, and Penn State. We've typically been at the top of the second tier in the conference, but it's a pretty noticeable gap. And while this year's class ain't bad, overall it's still in that '#25 class, give or take' range we've been in for ages and a long way from closing that gap with the top-tier teams. (Though having a class that's even this good after back-to-back 4-8 years is perhaps a feat in itself.)

18 minutes ago, Toe said:

@BigRedBuster What I always notice is that when you look at the recruiting rankings, there's a clear top tier in the B1G of Ohio State, Michigan, and Penn State. We've typically been at the top of the second tier in the conference, but it's a pretty noticeable gap. And while this year's class ain't bad, overall it's still in that '#25 class, give or take' range we've been in for ages and a long way from closing that gap with the top-tier teams. (Though having a class that's even this good after back-to-back 4-8 years is perhaps a feat in itself.)

Yes, typically, OSU, MI, and PSU are getting those top 10 ranked classes.  We are the next team in the 20-25 range.  We need to get closer to them.  I think we can if we start winning the west and playing in the CCG on a regular basis.

13 minutes ago, Toe said:

And while this year's class ain't bad, overall it's still in that '#25 class, give or take' range we've been in for ages and a long way from closing that gap with the top-tier teams. (Though having a class that's even this good after back-to-back 4-8 years is perhaps a feat in itself.)

The feat will be getting such a class to respond on the field. The attrition rate has been so high the past few years that we aren’t hitting even normal levels of contribution. We may be hitting top 25 numbers on signing day, but we aren’t on Senior day.  That’s going to change, though, especially with this 2019 class. Some real go getters in this group. The coaches are very honest in their recruiting pitch, and while that may turn off some kids, I think we will get more out of the ones we do get.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
28 minutes ago, brophog said:

The feat will be getting such a class to respond on the field. The attrition rate has been so high the past few years that we aren’t hitting even normal levels of contribution. We may be hitting top 25 numbers on signing day, but we aren’t on Senior day.  That’s going to change, though, especially with this 2019 class. Some real go getters in this group. The coaches are very honest in their recruiting pitch, and while that may turn off some kids, I think we will get more out of the ones we do get.

I think the contribution % of a class is about normal at Nebraska.  Problem we have had over quite a while is that the top of our class doesn't contribute.  So, while we have a 20-25 ranked class, the guys who are contributing would probably make up more of a 40-50 ranked class.

I believe that will change under Frost and it's why I believe we will see a big improvement in the product on the field even though we haven't (yet) improved the rankings of our classes.

19 hours ago, everybody knows my name said:

Aggravating to this Gophers fan - after our 3-1 finish with blowout wins over Purdue, Wisconsin, and GA Tech, that Nebraska is ranked higher than Minnesota.  That, my Cornhusker friends, is the lingering benefit of Nebraska's longtime reputation.

It has to do with Nebraska beating Minny fairly easily and the fact Frost is in going into year 2 and Fleck is in year 0 (Version 3.0) or whatever he wants to call it.  Plus going 4-2 in  the final 6 games with the only 2 losses coming on the road to #3 OSU and Iowa.  Both very winnable games.  

• Plus1 2

On 1/9/2019 at 2:13 PM, BigRedBuster said:

I think the contribution % of a class is about normal at Nebraska.

No way. The coaching changes have gutted whole classes, and too many walk-ons have been forced to play significant roles to compensate for that.

We are in total agreement on Frost, though. 

5 minutes ago, brophog said:

No way. The coaching changes have gutted whole classes, and too many walk-ons have been forced to play significant roles to compensate for that.

We are in total agreement on Frost, though. 

Of course this coaching change has cause a huge turnover in players, which I find as a positive. 

The statement you quoted was meant to be about over the last 10+ years of our program floundering. 

23 hours ago, swmohusker said:

It has to do with Nebraska beating Minny fairly easily and the fact Frost is in going into year 2 and Fleck is in year 0 (Version 3.0) or whatever he wants to call it.  Plus going 4-2 in  the final 6 games with the only 2 losses coming on the road to #3 OSU and Iowa.  Both very winnable games.  

A lot of it is UCF. That’s what gives a neutral observer the benefit of the doubt on those last 6 games. Some of that is the success they had under Frost, some of that is the continued success they had this past year. It paints the picture that he knows how to get there, even if he hasn’t yet at Nebraska.

Minnesota also finished 4-2 after losing 4 straight. It just doesn’t feel like it because while Frost continually tries to raise the bar, Fleck seems to lower expectations. It diminishes his accomplishments, which were rather significant during the last half of the season.

• Plus1 2
30 minutes ago, brophog said:

A lot of it is UCF. That’s what gives a neutral observer the benefit of the doubt on those last 6 games. Some of that is the success they had under Frost, some of that is the continued success they had this past year. It paints the picture that he knows how to get there, even if he hasn’t yet at Nebraska.

Minnesota also finished 4-2 after losing 4 straight. It just doesn’t feel like it because while Frost continually tries to raise the bar, Fleck seems to lower expectations. It diminishes his accomplishments, which were rather significant during the last half of the season.

Maybe a little is UCF but if you look at what Frost brings to the table, you can see that forming in Lincoln.  You have a QB that is a Heisman caliber type QB that this offense can build around.  You have a running game that went from the laughing stock of the B1G to being towards to the top.  All things point to continued offensive improvement which is expected from a Frost led team.  While the defense was far from great, they also showed improvement without having the personnel to run that scheme.  Recruiting rankings also show that talent level should be trending up. 

Minny had a nice finish to their year, but I am not sure they have quite the identity formed to place them in the top 25.  They havent found a QB to take the reins of their program.  Right now I would much rather face the Fleck version of the Gophers than the Kill version.  We will see if this year Fleck can get over the hump, but I would bet on Nebraska over Minny right now.