ESPN: First 2019 Way-Too-Early Top 25

6 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Based on the comments in this thread, it’s good to see that NU fans can get annoyed when ESPN doesn’t show NU enough love, and NU fans can get annoyed when ESPN shows NU too much love. 

I love when the media talks about Nebraska. It's great for our brand. But I do think thus far we've done nothing to deserve it.

On 5/7/2019 at 6:12 PM, Head Coach Scott Frost said:

I thought Oklahoma would fall of when Stoops left.  Since then they've had two playoff appearances and two Heismans.

By and large it's the proximity to the Texas recruiting hotbed. Existing brand name + sitting right on top of Texas + not hiring an idiot = still being a Top 5 team.

On 5/5/2019 at 3:23 PM, knapplc said:

Someone thinks the Husker Hype is a bit premature.  Some thinking in the opposite direction.

How dare Mr. O’Gara go against the Huskers!! To think, I played pickup basketball with the guy back in our Kearney days!

Actually, not surprised... at all.

16 hours ago, Undone said:

By and large it's the proximity to the Texas recruiting hotbed. Existing brand name + sitting right on top of Texas + not hiring an idiot = still being a Top 5 team.

Not hiring an idiot is where I'd put more of my chips. Texas has done a good job over the last decade of showing how impactful hiring an idiot is even when you're an elite recruiter.

Riley's successes are commendable so far. I'll admit I didn't expect two CFP appearances and two Heisman winners. They just need to figure out how to play defense. I think I'd trade some of those ungodly offensive numbers if I meant my team could get an extra few stops per game.

On 5/7/2019 at 1:57 PM, Husker in WI said:

I don't expect OSU to take a huge step back this year. 2011 was a complete dumpster fire for them, this is just a slightly awkward handoff coaching wise. I don't necessarily think Day can keep them at their current level, but who knows. Fickell wouldn't have gone 6-6 with this years team.

I agree...People don't appreciate what Meyer did.  9 losses?  4 conference losses?  That is insane!

If Day doubles that in his first 7 seasons it will be amazing and still not be close to what Meyer did.  

On 5/10/2019 at 8:12 AM, Enhance said:

They just need to figure out how to play defense. I think I'd trade some of those ungodly offensive numbers if I meant my team could get an extra few stops per game.

Yep. Imagine if Brent Venables had been convinced to stay on as DC...

15 hours ago, Nebfanatic said:

Romy does a nice job with his interviews and this one is good too. At 7:10, Romy asks about culture, he doesn't ask about how bad it was but the direction. I don't really care to hear about how bad it was, we all know it was. The next two minutes are boilerplate for Frost but it's always fun to listen to. Thx for the link.

On a somewhat related note, I guess Hoiberg won't have to worry too much about the prior culture, given that he's replaced almost the entire roster.

• Haha 1
  • Fire 1