ESPN: First 2019 Way-Too-Early Top 25

Nebraska and Minnesota are going to be the two big surprises in the Big Ten next year.

I don't want to take anything away from Nebraska, or diminish them in any way.  Let me just point out that our defensive personnel were too good to give up 53 points to Nebraska in 2018.  Our pts given up in Big Ten games before firing DC Robb Smith: 42, 48, 30, 53, 31, 55.  Pts given up after replacing Smith with Joe Rossi: 10, 24, 15, 10.  Things will be different in 2019.

• Fire 1
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

10 hours ago, Head Coach Scott Frost said:

It's cool and trendy to put Nebraska in the top 25, but we have not earned it yet.

For the most part, I agree. I'm betting this is a dynamic we'll experience all off season. Local fans/analysts/journalists tend to be harder or more critical on Nebraska because of the day-in, day-out nuances. The national folks are more inclined to put weight on 'year two' improvements or some relative surface level variables, whereas we'll let the little things weigh on us. The truth will probably be somewhere in the middle.

I'm expecting the team to be a fringe Top 25 team next year, but if we take this most recent preseason poll at face value, there's no way I could say Nebraska is the 17th best team in the country and I think that's fairly objective.

• Plus1 4

We will get to 8-9 wins this year, the schedule def helps us. I truly think we will get 10+ wins for 2020 and then the trend of always being a good football team will continue from there. Not saying we are going to win Natties, but we will def be the team to beat in the West more times than not. Think of the Bo Pelini standards with a few great seasons mixed in every few years. We should be able to finally break the trend of a conference title before Martinez leaves Lincoln. 

35 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

We will get to 8-9 wins this year, the schedule def helps us. I truly think we will get 10+ wins for 2020 and then the trend of always being a good football team will continue from there. Not saying we are going to win Natties, but we will def be the team to beat in the West more times than not. Think of the Bo Pelini standards with a few great seasons mixed in every few years. We should be able to finally break the trend of a conference title before Martinez leaves Lincoln. 

Completely agree for the most part. I've tempered my expectations for this season pending the health/availability of our skill position players. However, if Spielman and Robinson are healthy and Mo and Mills are available/on the team I think we can get to 10 wins this season. 

• Fire 1

1 hour ago, bugeater17 said:

Completely agree for the most part. I've tempered my expectations for this season pending the health/availability of our skill position players. However, if Spielman and Robinson are healthy and Mo and Mills are available/on the team I think we can get to 10 wins this season. 

I’m still very skeptical of the defense before I can get to that point. Some good this spring, but there is still a big drop off in results between full throttle and not. Some defenses are talented enough to get away with that, but this one can’t. With the numbers we have, a guy like Alex Davis needs to be the Ozigbo of this defense. 

The offense, minus some setbacks, should be enough to get a winning record. The defense has to be pretty exceptional to hit double digits.

1 hour ago, brophog said:

I’m still very skeptical of the defense before I can get to that point. Some good this spring, but there is still a big drop off in results between full throttle and not. Some defenses are talented enough to get away with that, but this one can’t. With the numbers we have, a guy like Alex Davis needs to be the Ozigbo of this defense. 

The offense, minus some setbacks, should be enough to get a winning record. The defense has to be pretty exceptional to hit double digits.

The addition of Daniels and Green will def help up front. I think outside of Barry, the LBs were not good last year either, Gifford played solid at times. Ferg is now healthy so hopefully he can be that guy, but now that we have 4 LBs on the field at all times we need more than one good one. Another year for Tannor and hopefully a breakout year for JoJo. On offense as long as we get Mo and Mills we are in good shape. The big concern is the interior line play and Woodyard/Williams. We need at least one of them to step up this year. All four losses below were due to letting someone running all over us, Illinois we won thankfully since they had no defense. Gotta man up this season. I think we will be improved on the d line. 

CAR YDS AVG TD LONG
J.K. Dobbins 23 163 7.1 3 42

CAR YDS AVG TD LONG
Mekhi Sargent 26 173 6.7 1 32

CAR YDS AVG TD LONG
Karan Higdon 12 136 11.3 1

CAR YDS AVG TD LONG
Jonathan Taylor 24 221 9.2 3 88

CAR YDS AVG TD LONG
AJ Bush Jr. 25 187 7.5 3 41
  • Plus1 1
18 hours ago, Head Coach Scott Frost said:

It's cool and trendy to put Nebraska in the top 25, but we have not earned it yet.

So which of those 25 teams have?  Considering it's a ball park guess on what teams are worthy and all you can base it off is the previous seasons results, what they return and who they play....yeah I'd say we are as deserving as the next team.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
43 minutes ago, Redux said:

So which of those 25 teams have?  Considering it's a ball park guess on what teams are worthy and all you can base it off is the previous seasons results, what they return and who they play....yeah I'd say we are as deserving as the next team.

It's also, imo, a guess at how good the teams will be. It's basically a prediction for where they think the teams will be at the end of the year. Clemson and Alabama haven't "earned" it either, seeing as they haven't played any games. They're just the easiest teams to make predictions for. There are teams every year that sucked or were mediocre the year before that end up ranked.