1995 Nebraska and the myth of championship recruiting

2 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

as soon as everyone starts saying something like its fact, shortly after it is proven to be false. 

2 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

its cold in nebraska- you cant recruit there- they will never get back to the top- I think we look back in 5-10 years and laugh about that narrative.

Then why wasn't this proven false when people said it 15 years ago :( you said it would happen as soon as they said it and it didn't. Don't lie to me like this :(

• Plus1 1

1 minute ago, Landlord said:

Then why wasn't this proven false when people said it 15 years ago :( you said it would happen as soon as they said it and it didn't. Don't lie to me like this :(

Patience young grasshopper. The right pieces have to be in place- we had a bad administration and BAD coaching hires that have kept us down. The reason we have stayed down is not because we are some doomed program that just got lucky for a few years, flash in the pan. We are in the top 5 for all time wins- so I dont know why everyone thinks we got lucky on 2 hires and had success for like 35 years under devaney and osborne. Those 2 coaches would have only gotten us like 350 of the near 900 wins we have.

• Plus1 1

4 hours ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

One of my biggest (sports) fears is that this is true. We'll find out in 4-5 years, I suppose!

We reached national championship level in the 70s. Then again in the 80s- I understand they didn’t win one but were right there and capable. Then again in the 90s. Plus other decades of great success and wins that led us to nearly 900 all time wins- good enough for top 5 all time. I don’t know why it’s an anomaly. Other than the fact it doesn’t fit people’s narrative or agenda

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1

7 hours ago, Landlord said:

idk i mean

2010 Auburn somehow won a National Championship and I can tell you it wasn't because of Gene Chizik

Well, good consistent recruiting is one thing, but stumbling upon a once-in-a-lifetime transcendent player for one year is something else. 

I think you have to have both to win a national championship. You cannot win without great talent and you cannot win without great coaching. In most cases anyway. 

There is alot of teams who recruit great every year and have average coaching and never approach the playoff. Also teams who have great coaching but for whatever reason they are not a great recruiter so never make it past 10 or 11 wins.

On ‎1‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 12:21 PM, knapplc said:

That's a good article. I read somewhere that 1990s Nebraska is perhaps the biggest anomaly in all of sports. A team in a tiny state (by population), with no reasonable recruiting base, becomes a national power that not only wins, but routinely demolishes its opponents, most of whom are better situated vis a vis recruiting centers.  The premise was that, based on other schools and how the college football world works, Nebraska shouldn't have been Nebraska. At best they should be a combination of Kansas, Iowa State and another school, like Wyoming or something. 

I would say Devaney's run in the late 60's to early 70's was more of an anomaly than TO's run in the 90s primarily because of the information, video, etc. of recruits available to the coaches at the time.