Civil War: CFB Title Landscape

BIG ERN

There has only been 1 team in the last 20 years from the North to win a National Title - Ohio State (twice). Before them you have to go to 1997 and Nebraska/Michigan. The title numbers from the North have slowly been diminishing since the modern era of college football (1970). If you cut the USA map in half you will quickly find out how much powers are in the South. To be fair there are more higher populations, but simply better high school football is being played. Will the old North powers be able to make a return in the coming years? It seems like getting over the hump has become increasingly difficult. It has never helped that NYC and Chicago have always been basketball cities in regards to high school kids. That leaves very few major cities that can contribute. Michigan and Notre Dame have proven they can get to that top 10 level as of late, but seem to lay an egg when getting to the big post season games. I truly feel Frost in time will get us to this point as well, but who will be the next North team to win a Natty? 

Most recent National Titles: 

Ohio State - 2014

Nebraska, Michigan - 1997* (tie)

Washington - 1991 (tie)

Colorado - 1990 (tie)

Notre Dame - 1988

Penn State - 1986

BYU - 1984

Pittsburgh - 1976

• Plus1 1

15 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

I truly feel Frost in time will get us to this point as well...

Right after the Iowa game I wasn't feeling this sentiment, admittedly. But after seeing this recruiting class filling some of the holes we have, I see Frost as a visionary and a guy that really can eventually recruit Top 15 talent. I agree that betting on him to get to this level does feel like more of "when" than "if," but the recruiting has to keep trending up (which it is).

15 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

...but who will be the next North team to win a Natty? 

If Urban Meyer was still at the helm my answer would definitely be Ohio State. But I don't see them doing it with Ryan Day.

I predict Harbaugh will be like the Andy Reid of the college game - constantly falling short. I still do think Brian Kelly has a shot. But I don't think it's insane to bet on Frost being the next one to break the trend...it could just take a lot longer than we think.

I think there are a couple of reasons the South is dominating.  One would be the coaching.  Take Bob Stoops for example.  He left Kansas State in a lateral move as defensive coordinator to become Florida's defensive coordinator.  Why?  He said the daily schedule was much shorter at Florida than at K State.  Typically, coaches in the South don't have to work as hard or as many hours as they do in the North because they are surrounded by excellent recruits.  Therefore, it's more likely to find the best coaches in the South rather than the North.  Why are the best recruits in the South?  It's the exact same reason that the best hockey recruits are typically found in the North instead of the South.  It's the weather.  More specifically, it's the amount of time as in months young athletes play football in the South when compared to the North.  When one considers the amount of club football played nearly year round in the South, it's of little wonder why those athletes are better prepared for the sport of football because they've simply spent many more hours honing their skills.  Has anyone ever wondered why most of the Bowl games are played in the South?  It's because of the weather and being a more enjoyable experience for the fans.  Well, it's also a more enjoyable experience for most of the players as well.  I know I'd much rather go play catch with my son when it's nice and sunny rather than cold and miserable. 

For a North team to become the next NC winner, I think it will take a couple of things.  First, it will take an experienced staff who has worked together for quite some time.  Second, it will take a staff that is geared to player development.  I don't necessarily think the best athletes are all found in the South.  I just think that they're ahead of most players in the North because of the amount more football they've played prior to college.  Helping the cold weather recruits catch up with the warm weather recruits will be key to leveling the playing field.     

This is why I always root for the northern team in the playoffs.  OSU, PSU, ND, MI, MSU, Wis...etc. have the fan bases and athletic department budgets and facilities.  We need coaches and players.  We finally have a playoff system where we have a better chance of playing ourselves into a chance at an NC without the media always believing the SEC is so great they should just be given the NC.

We need to just make it happen.....somehow.

1 hour ago, knapplc said:

Nebraska's most recent National Championship was 1997.

Starting in 1998-2017. Did anyone believe we had a coach leading the program who was a National Championship caliber head coach? 

Frank Solich, Bill Callahan, Bo Pelini, Mike Riley? Hell No

Do we have a guy who many people- even nationally will be a national championship caliber coach? Yes we do.

17 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

I see it that way as well, but many online archives show as 1998 

Whatever site you're seeing that in is wrong.

The rings say 1997.

dSocrxA.jpg

The Trophy says 1997.

2POOkeT.jpg

Nebraska's publications say it was 1997.

Nebraska's website says it was 1997.

We celebrated the 20th anniversary of the 1997 National Championship in 2017.

I'm super curious to see what source says Nebraska won the 1998 National Championship.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
47 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

Starting in 1998-2017. Did anyone believe we had a coach leading the program who was a National Championship caliber head coach? 

Frank Solich, Bill Callahan, Bo Pelini, Mike Riley? Hell No

Two guys who coached in a national championship game, one who coached in a Super Bowl... and Mike Riley.

2 hours ago, Ulty said:

Image result for it's been too long gif

tumblr_nrv920XMTU1sx2peuo1_r1_250.gif

38 minutes ago, RedSavage said:

An 8-team playoff would go a long way to putting an end to that

I assume it will go to this, but I don't know if that is the best formula. Notre Dame got blown out and Bama - Oklahoma was over at halftime. Do we need to see teams 5-8 get stamped as well? 

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

I assume it will go to this, but I don't know if that is the best formula. Notre Dame got blown out and Bama - Oklahoma was over at halftime. Do we need to see teams 5-8 get stamped as well? 

Yea and maybe that still holds true but I think you see a lot more upsets and the championship becomes much more unpredictable than it is now.  Maybe Bama doesn't make it this year with an 8-team playoff.  Not that anyone would have likely beat Clemson but maybe a more northern team gets in.  I think with an 8-team playoff the likelihood of a northern team making it to the championship increases, which obviously would create much more opportunity for one to win it.