Civil War: CFB Title Landscape

BIG ERN

3 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I think where the confusion is, is when they list the bowl game that was won, to win the championship.  Honestly, I always get confused with it to when thinking back.

OK....to win the 94 championship, we won the 95 Orangebowl.  To win the 95 championship, we won the 96 Fiesta Bowl...etc.

Yeah it's why I wish we could play the title game on like last Saturday of December.  It would make things much simpler.

17 hours ago, Waldo said:

Hate this argument. No matter how many teams are in the playoff, people will complain about the one that got left out, similar to college basketball. I think the top 4 teams this year were fair and the right choices. LSU got stomped by Bama at LSU. Bama would more than likely beat Ohio Sate or UCF 9 out of 10 times. 

This has been brought up alot on Twitter and it's annoying. It doesn't matter what happens 9 out of 10 times, all that matters is what would happen in that one time.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
47 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

I would argue that Pelini was a National Championship caliber coach who couldn't recruit.  Take that second off the clock against Texas and I give him a decent shot to win that game behind a huge effort by Suh.  Pelini had a plethora of issues but he was great at the X's  and O's when he had dominant talent.  

My opinion differs. To be a national championship caliber coach you have to be great at X's and O'x AND recruiting. Thats why few coaches reach that level. Because you have to be excellent at all aspects of your job as a coach. Many can coach but lack recruiting, many can recruit but lack coaching and both scenarios can lead to alot of wins but not the BIG games. 

For someone to be a great coach in my mind does both. Good coaches do 1 or the other.

• Plus1 2

1 hour ago, Waldo said:

Yea ok. Then let’s have a 120 team playoff 

That has absolutely nothing to do with what I said... I simply said They aren't playing 10 times, they are playing once.  It doesn't matter AT ALL if Alabama would win 9 or 8 out of 10 times. All that matters is the ONE time they are playing. Don't know why you felt the need to bring up a 120 team playoff. That's the beauty of College Football, anything can happen in that ONE game.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
18 minutes ago, hskrfan4life said:

That has absolutely nothing to do with what I said... I simply said They aren't playing 10 times, they are playing once.  It doesn't matter AT ALL if Alabama would win 9 or 8 out of 10 times. All that matters is the ONE time they are playing. Don't know why you felt the need to bring up a 120 team playoff. That's the beauty of College Football, anything can happen in that ONE game.

• Plus1 2

As far as north vs south goes I think it’s a talent issue . I don’t have stats to back it up but I’d bet the south produces more 5 star talent than the north and proximity to home weighs on those players college choice . 

As far as a playoff I think this year proved the system works as is . The 2 teams in the championship game were the 2 best teams all year and proved it. 

18 minutes ago, Waldo said:

Because using hypotheticals to argue anything can happen in a game is just as valid. 

Well...with your reasoning, we wouldn’t even play the regular season because everyone knows Alabama and Clemson should beat everyone at least 90% of the time. 

Now, don’t you think reasonable discussion is somewhere in between?

3 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Well...with your reasoning, we wouldn’t even play the regular season because everyone knows Alabama and Clemson should beat everyone at least 90% of the time. 

Now, don’t you think reasonable discussion is somewhere in between?

Considering they were preseason 1 and 2, one could argue that the regular season was in fact pointless (not that I believe this).

I just think this season, more than ever, has shown disparity between the top 2 or 3 teams, and everyone else. If they move to an 8 team playoff, people will argue the 9th rated team should be in. 

I also attribute this to a losers mentality. If we were all Bama, Clemson, or OSU fans, I don’t think as many people would be advocating for change.  Teams have to bring it every week in college football and that’s what makes it different from other sports and leagues.  

2 hours ago, Big Red 40 said:

As far as north vs south goes I think it’s a talent issue . I don’t have stats to back it up but I’d bet the south produces more 5 star talent than the north and proximity to home weighs on those players college choice . 

As far as a playoff I think this year proved the system works as is . The 2 teams in the championship game were the 2 best teams all year and proved it. 

Using 247’s ratings over the past 3 years (2017-2019), 5 star talent isn’t evenly distributed.

I basically used the 37th parallel, plus all of California to separate north vs south. This would make NC, TN, AR, OK, NM, and AZ be the northern borders. 

The southern states had 77 five star players to the north’s 19. I added Tua (HI) to the south. This will be slightly skewed, as I didn’t look into  hometowns for those that play at prep schools. That is over 80 percent of the 5 star talent in just 47 percent of the US population. The talent seems to stay in the south, as 21 of the 96 players went to Northern colleges. 

I am too lazy to go further, as it would be even better to look at more players (maybe the top 100) each year, to get a more accurate talent distribution. But it’s crazy how much more talented southern schools are. 

To further show this, in the past 3 years, Georgia has recruited 15 five stars on 247, to our 18 four stars. 5 Nebraska recruits have either left town or never made it: Blades, Gebbia, Johnson, Lindsey, and Roberts. I don’t know Georgia’s situation, but that just isn’t fair lol. 

• Plus1 1