Civil War: CFB Title Landscape

BIG ERN

6 hours ago, Big Red 40 said:

All of those teams except Ohio state lost their bowl games. Why would how would putting them in the playoffs against even better teams make it more exciting?

I guess I wouldn't have used a crystal ball to determine the 8 teams, seeing as they would have been the other 4 added if we had 8 teams get in.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Plus1 1

On 1/9/2019 at 1:21 PM, junior4949 said:

I think there are a couple of reasons the South is dominating.  One would be the coaching.  Take Bob Stoops for example.  He left Kansas State in a lateral move as defensive coordinator to become Florida's defensive coordinator.  Why?  He said the daily schedule was much shorter at Florida than at K State.  Typically, coaches in the South don't have to work as hard or as many hours as they do in the North because they are surrounded by excellent recruits.  Therefore, it's more likely to find the best coaches in the South rather than the North.  Why are the best recruits in the South?  It's the exact same reason that the best hockey recruits are typically found in the North instead of the South.  It's the weather.  More specifically, it's the amount of time as in months young athletes play football in the South when compared to the North.  When one considers the amount of club football played nearly year round in the South, it's of little wonder why those athletes are better prepared for the sport of football because they've simply spent many more hours honing their skills.  Has anyone ever wondered why most of the Bowl games are played in the South?  It's because of the weather and being a more enjoyable experience for the fans.  Well, it's also a more enjoyable experience for most of the players as well.  I know I'd much rather go play catch with my son when it's nice and sunny rather than cold and miserable. 

For a North team to become the next NC winner, I think it will take a couple of things.  First, it will take an experienced staff who has worked together for quite some time.  Second, it will take a staff that is geared to player development.  I don't necessarily think the best athletes are all found in the South.  I just think that they're ahead of most players in the North because of the amount more football they've played prior to college.  Helping the cold weather recruits catch up with the warm weather recruits will be key to leveling the playing field.     

We need to take advantage of local lineman. No father goes outside and does OL or DL drills with his son.  The skill and finesse position players are probably more abundant in warm weather areas.

On 1/11/2019 at 1:35 PM, Moiraine said:

“should have” is the key phrase. 

And it depends more on the conference, imo, than what the other teams were doing.

I agree.  The problem lies between what should be and what is.  Alabama gets a pass for what they've done in recent seasons.  Alabama gets a a pass for what conference they play in.  Never mind what teams they actually played from it in a given season - a CCG makes it all better.  Never mind that their out-of-conference slate is a joke - there's no rule against the late season FCS game.

Here's next year's Tide schedule:

Aug. 31 vs. Duke in Atlanta

Sept. 7 vs. New Mexico State

Sept. 14 at South Carolina

Sept. 21 vs. Southern Miss

Sept. 28 vs. Ole Miss

Oct. 5: Bye

Oct. 12 at Texas A&M

Oct. 19 vs. Tennessee

Oct. 26 vs. Arkansas

Nov. 2: Bye

Nov. 9 vs. LSU