What Position Groups Are We Most Confident And Least Confident About Heading Into 2019?

Confident-

QB-AM and Vedral.  Maesker in am emergency later in the year and mccaffrey if injuries hit hard early

TE- Solid and versatile young group

CB- bootle is a stud and LJ came along last year.  Like clark and taylor too.

Concerned-

OLB/LB- need a true OLB type and someone to replace young.  Lot of potential but also unknowns with this group.  If we arent good at lb we will comtinue to struggle with iowa amd wiscy.

Safeties- lost top 3.  Love our young guys but this a scary place to be young

Optimistic-

RB- MW can be a stud and a ton of young talent coming in.  Easy position for young guys to contribute. 

WR- JD will need help.  Need Jaevon, hunt, m will, warner and freshmen to step up.  Good potential

DL-  return a lot and should be better and deeper.  Lot to prove this year with this group.  

OL- Austin did a great job with this group.  Jamies, farniok, and wilson are solid.  I am sure they will shore up the other spots and take a step forward.  

• 2 weeks later...

Optimistic

qb- as long as Martinez stays healthy

vedral wasnt impressive, hopefully mccaffrey comes in and learns the system

rb- mo is great in space and catches ball well. Mills looks like a strong every down back, Robinson in the hybrid role will be impressive. The 2 other incoming freshmen probably need a year before contributing a bunch but like their film

Neutral lb 

Barry is a stud

honas will be ok

good talent coming in

oline Optimistic

The coaching and strength program

makes these guys

top rbs a quarterback who can run and great play calling will make these guys look better than they are 

Cb optimistic 

bootle has improved dramatically 

that’s half of the equation nailed down 

neutral

wr- Stanley is huge loss

spielman is stud

importang to keep him healthy

warner is possession by who blocks well but not much of threat 

robinson in hybrid role will shine

need a true big body guy here badly 

need good depth not Warner type depth

like the tight ends too- Allen is stud

Pessimistic

safety

lost a bunch here

not confident here

tough position to learn for incoming freshman

dl- hopefully Daniels can plug middle and Robinson sees the field as advertised 

On January 10, 2019 at 6:51 PM, 84HuskerLaw said:

I would not expect as large a contribution from this year's freshmen class than we saw from the younger guys last year because the rest of the team (older and now wiser/better) will play larger role.   A handful of frosh may be factors but the guys new to the roster come fall will be hard pressed to beat out any of the returning players in my view. 

Frost has said the opposite about several positions. The young ILBs need to be ready. OLB could also see immediate playing time. Opportunity in the secondary, particularly at Safety. RBs need to be ready. Wandale is a day one starter as he almost has his own position. WR is wide open. I don't think Benhart can gain enough weight fast enough to initially start, but wouldn't surprise me if he's forced into action at some point.

Granted, in some cases it's a JUCO or transfer that may see time, like Daniels or Mills, but if this team is to do much this incoming class has to play a big part. It's just been too big of a roster turnover for it to be otherwise.

I think there's a good argument out there that says that our pass coverage was about as much to blame for the lack of getting to the passer as it was talent/size/strength of the three man front itself.

We have to create a blanket of coverage. We have to cover for that extra second longer per pass play so that our pass rushers can actually do something. I have quite a bit of faith that Jackson and Bootle are going to work their a**es off in the offseason and will continue their improved play from games 7-12 this year. But I'm a bit worried about our safeties to be honest.

I'm more confident in the whole team this year than i have been in a long time. I think we have a competent coaching staff, who recruited the right KIND of players, and will develop them into the best players they can be. Improved S&C, and a hard working, team mentality are great to see again too.

RB - I like this group. Decent depth and talent, competition will decide who sees the field the most .

WR/TE - I would like to see a big bodied WR brought in, but otherwise i think were fine here. We have speed guys, possession guys, and tight ends who can catch. Lots of weapons for AM. Another position i think someone were not expecting could emerge as a star.

OL - They were getting better end of last year and i think they've added some good pieces should be fine there . Not a lot of depth though hope everyone stays healthy.

DL -  I really like the older Daniels. Hes a proven talent already, and hopefully an on the field leader. I really wish we had a true pass rushing DE but that will come in time i think.

QB  - AM is great but a running QB always scares me . They get hurt. Vedral knows the system and is serviceable , I think McCaffery will emerge as much better than many people think he will.

DB  - Dont know much about this position. Bootle showed flashes as did Jackson, IDK is a guy like Pola Gates can contribute right away or not.

LB - Barry and Honas will be solid and we brought in some good talent here. I'm pretty confident with that group. 

• Fire 1
On 1/24/2019 at 2:52 PM, Hilltop said:

I'm most confident that our team will continue to improve and will produce better results than last year.

I'm least confident in our fan base being rational about the time it takes to put out the dumpster fire that Riley created.  

Zero evidence that the fan base won’t be patient with a very hard working and proven college coach like frost and staff

compared to the lazy 9-5 and 500 coach smilin mike was 

9 hours ago, Big Red 40 said:

I'm more confident in the whole team this year than i have been in a long time. I think we have a competent coaching staff, who recruited the right KIND of players, and will develop them into the best players they can be. Improved S&C, and a hard working, team mentality are great to see again too.

RB - I like this group. Decent depth and talent, competition will decide who sees the field the most .

WR/TE - I would like to see a big bodied WR brought in, but otherwise i think were fine here. We have speed guys, possession guys, and tight ends who can catch. Lots of weapons for AM. Another position i think someone were not expecting could emerge as a star.

OL - They were getting better end of last year and i think they've added some good pieces should be fine there . Not a lot of depth though hope everyone stays healthy.

DL -  I really like the older Daniels. Hes a proven talent already, and hopefully an on the field leader. I really wish we had a true pass rushing DE but that will come in time i think.

QB  - AM is great but a running QB always scares me . They get hurt. Vedral knows the system and is serviceable , I think McCaffery will emerge as much better than many people think he will.

DB  - Dont know much about this position. Bootle showed flashes as did Jackson, IDK is a guy like Pola Gate can contribute right away or not.

LB - Barry and Honas will be solid and we brought in some good talent here. I'm pretty confident with that group. 

Good post, but i have a question.  What have people seen that shows Vedral is serviceable?  He may well be, but in limited action, he hasn’t shown much (to me, anyway).  I thought he was decent at UCF as a backup, but I don’t yet have too much confidence in the backup situation.

• Plus1 1

21 hours ago, Scarlet Overkill said:

What have people seen that shows Vedral is serviceable? 

Benefit of the doubt, mostly. Most of what we’ve seen of Vedral has been with the backups, and considering the lack of depth at receiver and at o-line, that is pretty significant.

Frost seems to trust him a lot, so I assume he’s seeing things we aren’t. 

On 1/25/2019 at 6:54 PM, OTHusker said:

Zero evidence that the fan base won’t be patient with a very hard working and proven college coach like frost and staff

compared to the lazy 9-5 and 500 coach smilin mike was 

Seriously?  Our fan base was ready to can TO on more than one occasion.  I think most people in our fan base are rational but there is a % of us that just don't get how difficult it is to build a championship level team.If we win less than 9 games this year, that group will throw a fit.