Which Schools are "Blue Blood" Programs?

Mavric

Blue Bloods  

81 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The top 8 of the list are shoo-ins for sure. No brainers.

The next 8 are iffy, but possibly warrant inclusion. 

- Washington and Auburn simply are not at the level of the other 16 on this list.

- I would disqualify Penn St, because without Paterno that program is nothing, and Paterno can burn in hell.

- The others are all up there in terms of total # of wins, and bowl wins and appearances. Tennessee and Georgia don't have the same championship hardware as the others but lots of wins.

- Florida, FSU, Miami, LSU, and Clemson all have multiple national championships spanning multiple coaches, but they don't have the same historical pedigree as the top 8. They are a solid second-tier historically. More of a new-money vs old-money sort of deal.

• Plus1 1

The top nine are all in the top 12 of all-time wins (with Yale, Harvard and Penn).  The next two D-1 programs on that list are Tennessee and Georgia.  I was going to include Georgia with the other 9 but since Tennessee has more wins and more national titles, I included both of them as well.

6 hours ago, Mavric said:

The top nine are all in the top 12 of all-time wins (with Yale, Harvard and Penn).  The next two D-1 programs on that list are Tennessee and Georgia.  I was going to include Georgia with the other 9 but since Tennessee has more wins and more national titles, I included both of them as well.

Ditto, but then it's questionable whether either should be in there. At best at the bottom of the blue bloods. If you could only do a top ten who would you take out, Tennessee or Georgia? Looking at the top nine we have 4 Big Ten, 2 Big 12, and only 1 SEC, PAC, and independent. 0 ACC. Top 11 brings us to 3 SEC.

Growing up I always thought of Clemson and Georgia as big programs even though they hadn't won any national championships since before I was born. They were just talked about a lot like they were big programs. I think if you subtract Clemson's last 5 years or so, they would be about equal with Washington or LSU or Auburn. (Admittedly, I don't know much about LSU or Auburn).

29 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Growing up I always thought of Clemson and Georgia as big programs even though they hadn't won any national championships since before I was born. They were just talked about a lot like they were big programs. I think if you subtract Clemson's last 5 years or so, they would be about equal with Washington or LSU or Auburn. (Admittedly, I don't know much about LSU or Auburn).

I don't think Clemson was a blip on the football map until we played them in the 82 Orange Bowl. If you subtract their last 5 years they wouldn't even be in the conversation. LSU has been a thing for quite a long time but for some reason I just don't consider them a blue blood program. Washington, not even close.