Nebrasketball Game #17 - @ Indiana: Monday, January 14 - 5:30 (FS1)

Mavric

What will the game result be?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. What will the game result be?

• Nebraska single digit win
    • Nebraska double digit win
    • Indiana single digit win
    • Indiana double digit win

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 01/15/2019 at 12:51 AM

4 minutes ago, swmohusker said:

Nice Win!  We look great on defense when the other team doesn't have a true big.  Best defense I have seen us play in awhile.  Watson was awesome and made some huge buckets.  We need to be able to play with Roby on the court. That kid is already in foul trouble for the MSU game coming up.  

Just depends on the officiating.  It seems like he has been hit with some fouls for just standing there.  The announcers last night even said that 2 of his fouls should not have been called.  Hopefully at home, the officiating will be better.

11 minutes ago, SouthLincoln Husker said:

Just depends on the officiating.  It seems like he has been hit with some fouls for just standing there.  The announcers last night even said that 2 of his fouls should not have been called.  Hopefully at home, the officiating will be better.

I agree. Last night that one foul call was bad.  But, if it is happening every game then it is a problem that needs addressed.  It isnt just unfortunate luck when the outcome is this consistent. 

1 hour ago, swmohusker said:

Nice Win!  We look great on defense when the other team doesn't have a true big.  Best defense I have seen us play in awhile.  Watson was awesome and made some huge buckets.  We need to be able to play with Roby on the court. That kid is already in foul trouble for the MSU game coming up.  

Basketball is all about matchups.  NU has great interchangeable players 1-5 and they can play great defense, as long as the other team doesn't have 1 or 2 bigs.  

Last night's win was simultaneously some of the best and worst basketball I've seen this team play. That, coupled with some of the worst officiating I've seen outside of a Big XII football game vs. Texass, made for one madcap road game. 

Glad to see the kids come away with the 'W', but it was in no way clean, and there's still plenty to work on.  But I'm glad to see the kids do well. 

14 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Basketball is all about matchups.  NU has great interchangeable players 1-5 and they can play great defense, as long as the other team doesn't have 1 or 2 bigs.  

I agree with being able to switch on everything is a great advantage.  I just think with that lineup we will struggle to guard the 5 spot if the other team has a good one. Which seems to be the case for a lot of B1G teams.  It requires us to help down from the perimeter and allows other teams to play inside out.  

• Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, swmohusker said:

I agree with being able to switch on everything is a great advantage.  I just think with that lineup we will struggle to guard the 5 spot if the other team has a good one. Which seems to be the case for a lot of B1G teams.  It requires us to help down from the perimeter and allows other teams to play inside out.  

Yes, the current lineup for NU isn't a great fit for the Big Ten, but if NU can get into the tournament, they could make some noise.  It will all depend on the matchups.

• Plus1 1
53 minutes ago, swmohusker said:

Except Miles is often pretty stubborn on not sending the double-team from the perimeter. I always preferred to double down until they proved they could hit the outside shot, if not you end up with the kind of night the Maryland kid had on us (18/17). It isn't a problem that's going to go away, that's for sure.

• Plus1 1

2 hours ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

Except Miles is often pretty stubborn on not sending the double-team from the perimeter. I always preferred to double down until they proved they could hit the outside shot, if not you end up with the kind of night the Maryland kid had on us (18/17). It isn't a problem that's going to go away, that's for sure.

Sometimes you are damned if you do, damned if you don't when it comes to doubling a big guy inside.  If the team is ready for it, they are able to pass it around the perimeter and it gets wide open 3's.  Also, with the defense scrambling to find shooters, it leaves them more susceptible to an offensive rebound.  Based on analytics, a contested, post-up shot is one of the worst shots in basketball.  Maybe that goes into Miles' line of thinking.  Unfortunately, sometimes that post-up turns into an easy layup and can also get Roby and Copeland in foul trouble, which messes up things on the offensive end.

• 2 weeks later...