Nebrasketball Game #18 - Michigan State: Thursday, January 17 - 7:00 (FS1)

Mavric

What will the game result be?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. What will the game result be?

• Nebraska single digit win
    • Nebraska double digit win
    • Michigan State single digit win
    • Michigan State double digit win

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 01/18/2019 at 01:17 AM

Let’s not forget 

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat."

Teddy Roosevelt 

Thanks to Watson, Copeland, Palmer, Roby, Allen, Harris, Borchardt, Aktenan, Heiman and anyone else I might’ve forgotten for having the guts to go out there and give their all. 

• Plus1 1

Disclaimer: I really didn't get to watch this game very closely.  I completely missed the first half and watched the second half while eating supper so...

It really seemed like we played pretty well .... other than shooting.  We "only" got out-rebounded by 4 against a team that is usually one of the best rebounding teams in the country.  Really kept them off the offensive glass which is huge.  Won the turnover battle.  And played pretty tough with the best team on our schedule (even if the final score might have been a touch closer than the game really was).

Really would have been nice to sneak one out at home with them missing their third-leading scorer who also was second in minutes played.

Have to wonder if we got pretty tired.  I know it's a bit tough to tell because we're prone to scoring droughts at any time.  But we're getting into the grind of the league schedule and the big four are playing 36+ minutes per night (if they're not in foul trouble).  That just takes a toll on the legs over the season.  Hope it doesn't bite us too badly the rest of the way.

Palmer and Watson - 9-34 from the floor (26.5%); 3-13 from 3 (23.1%)

Remaining Huskers - 13-33 from the floor (39.4%); 2-13 from 3 (15.4%)

That's not a recipe for success.  MSU is tough on defense.  But we struggle to find offense against good defenses.

1 hour ago, VitMan said:

Let’s not forget 

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat."

Teddy Roosevelt 

Thanks to Watson, Copeland, Palmer, Roby, Allen, Harris, Borchardt, Aktenan, Heiman and anyone else I might’ve forgotten for having the guts to go out there and give their all. 

giphy.gif

• Plus1 1
9 hours ago, Mavric said:

Disclaimer: I really didn't get to watch this game very closely.  I completely missed the first half and watched the second half while eating supper so...

It really seemed like we played pretty well .... other than shooting.  We "only" got out-rebounded by 4 against a team that is usually one of the best rebounding teams in the country.  Really kept them off the offensive glass which is huge.  Won the turnover battle.  And played pretty tough with the best team on our schedule (even if the final score might have been a touch closer than the game really was).

Really would have been nice to sneak one out at home with them missing their third-leading scorer who also was second in minutes played.

Have to wonder if we got pretty tired.  I know it's a bit tough to tell because we're prone to scoring droughts at any time.  But we're getting into the grind of the league schedule and the big four are playing 36+ minutes per night (if they're not in foul trouble).  That just takes a toll on the legs over the season.  Hope it doesn't bite us too badly the rest of the way.

Palmer and Watson - 9-34 from the floor (26.5%); 3-13 from 3 (23.1%)

Remaining Huskers - 13-33 from the floor (39.4%); 2-13 from 3 (15.4%)

That's not a recipe for success.  MSU is tough on defense.  But we struggle to find offense against good defenses.

This is a pretty good take. We played pretty darned well against the best team on our schedule ....except we couldn't buy a basket. Some of that was due to the MSU defense and some of it was due to not having any offensive game plan. The lack of having a coherent plan really hurts when the shots aren't falling and it gets exacerbated when you're a poor rebounding team. We seemed to have pretty good luck driving to the basket, the few times we actually did that. I've got to wonder what the hell it is that Miles actually does. He should be the one  noticing what is working and what isn't and making adjustments. But this team seems to solely rely on the skill level of the 5 starters and when 1 or 2 of them are off, we're screwed with no bench and no leadership.

You stated we only got 4 less boards than them but my stat line shows the deficit at 12. It's just frustrating to watch the complete lack of rebounding effort (and this game wasn't as bad as usual) especially when the shot selection is questionable and nothing is falling. But all in all they played about as well as can be expected. MSU is very good and that Winston is something else.

• Plus1 1

Weird game.  

With 4 minutes left this was turning into a blowout.  Huskers made a few plays and got a few breaks and made it a game (like it was pretty much for the first 35 minutes).

Goes to show how big that win at Indiana was...

Oh well...doesn't matter much as long as they don't lose to Rutgers, PSU or Illinois.

41 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

This is a pretty good take. We played pretty darned well against the best team on our schedule ....except we couldn't buy a basket. Some of that was due to the MSU defense and some of it was due to not having any offensive game plan. The lack of having a coherent plan really hurts when the shots aren't falling and it gets exacerbated when you're a poor rebounding team. We seemed to have pretty good luck driving to the basket, the few times we actually did that. I've got to wonder what the hell it is that Miles actually does. He should be the one  noticing what is working and what isn't and making adjustments. But this team seems to solely rely on the skill level of the 5 starters and when 1 or 2 of them are off, we're screwed with no bench and no leadership.

You stated we only got 4 less boards than them but my stat line shows the deficit at 12. It's just frustrating to watch the complete lack of rebounding effort (and this game wasn't as bad as usual) especially when the shot selection is questionable and nothing is falling. But all in all they played about as well as can be expected. MSU is very good and that Winston is something else.

This team takes bad shots, but there is no bench to set someone.  This something that we are going to have live with.  This loss was about missing wide open shots (3's, jump shots, layups); the whole team.  Mich. St. really got in their heads defensively, just like Texas Tech.  I thought we rebounded a lot better and something we can improve on.   I still think we can play with almost anyone.

1 hour ago, Mavric said:

Huskers.com shows 42-38

My "Score" app shows 42-30 :dunno

The 38 may be right. It did seem like we rebounded somewhat better than usual. It's just a pet peeve of mine to watch guys throw up a bunch of 3's and nobody seems to be in position to rebound, don't box out and everyone is headed back down court before the other team grabs the board. We just don't seem to stress it and are usually on the losing end of rebounds, especially offensive boards.

1 hour ago, Mavric said:

Huskers.com shows 42-38

So does the one on ESPN.  It also shows that we had 16 offensive rebounds to their 10.  It appears that 4 of the 16 were "team" rebounds where it was fumbled out of bounds off of MSU.  In fact NU had 8 "team" rebounds - 4 offensive & 4 defensive.  That probably explains the 8 rebound difference.