Duval's S&C - Year 2

suh_fan93

3 minutes ago, husker_fan_from_sweden said:

Makes me wonder if they will go the UCF weekly video of "the program" like they did in 2017 or just stick to a blue collar, lunchpale, no media coverage approach.

Good question. Part of me thinks it will be more of the latter just because of the dynamic differences between UCF and Nebraska. They probably needed to do more things to engage the fans down there and just get them interested in the team again, whereas Nebraska is already a fish bowl and we'll sell out stadiums for a 4-8 team. :lol:

A little Riley S&C tidbit that came out over on RSS last week. During the 2017 season they didn't have the guys lifting PERIOD. If the players wanted to lift they had to use the rec-center or some other gym. Speaks to massive project Duval was left with, not surprising a couple guys got rhabdo doing workouts that had already been watered-down and we still had issues against stronger fronts. On the positive side this means all the more gains potential we have with Duval being able to hit the ground running this winter. 

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, Danimal said:

A little Riley S&C tidbit that came out over on RSS last week. During the 2017 season they didn't have the guys lifting PERIOD. If the players wanted to lift they had to use the rec-center or some other gym. Speaks to massive project Duval was left with, not surprising a couple guys got rhabdo doing workouts that had already been watered-down and we still had issues against stronger fronts. On the positive side this means all the more gains potential we have with Duval being able to hit the ground running this winter. 

I'm not buying that. The football team has its own weight room, so it makes no sense for Riley to make the effort to force them to workout elsewhere.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 2
48 minutes ago, Danimal said:

Oh my god!  No lifting at all?!  I can't believe it!  

I also can't believe that Riley mandated a 2 bowl minimum of frozen yogurt everyday before practice.  Ugh...that Riley!  He just has no clue.

Thank god everything is all fixed now.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 3
1 hour ago, Danimal said:

Not buying that story.

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

Not buying that story.

Dunno about the rec center part but it’s not wholly inaccurate.

I don’t remember when but someone asked Frost how the strength training would be different during the season than in years past and I believe his exact quote was “We’re going to lift.” It was clear he was implying they weren’t doing that during the season under Riley. 

Lifting may have been without emphasis, but the notion that guys had to go to the rec center if they wanted to lift? Not buying that. It runs contrary to what players from that time frame have said. Many of them still lifted. Plus, if that were the case, that would've been a huge story at some point. Somehow, only someone over at RSS knows about it? Nope.

• Plus1 1

3 hours ago, RedDenver said:

I'm not buying that. The football team has its own weight room, so it makes no sense for Riley to make the effort to force them to workout elsewhere.

First hand knowledge here, I can confirm for a fact that's false. Athletes went to the rec here and there, but you could still see players in the north stadium weight room as you walked by too. Dylan Utter was the only football player I saw consistently use the rec weight room

• Plus1 1
39 minutes ago, Swiv3D said:

First hand knowledge here, I can confirm for a fact that's false. Athletes went to the rec here and there, but you could still see players in the north stadium weight room as you walked by too. Dylan Utter was the only football player I saw consistently use the rec weight room

Things get exaggerated. Maybe they wanted to minimize the amount of lifting the players did during game weeks and there were a few rogue players who did more elsewhere.

• Plus1 1