Duval's S&C - Year 2

suh_fan93

21 hours ago, GSG said:

I don't know if there's anything to this necessarily, but, I noticed that Damian Jackson is regularly in these photos/videos as a spotter or a lifter.

If I had to guess, I imagine they like his face being out there as an example to the entire team and people who follow the program. But, I also think the guy really embodies the team spirit and just wants to be there for his guys.

• Plus1 1

19 minutes ago, 307husker said:

"a bit high"

Lol, yeah, just a bit...

I wish they would put a lot less emphasis on 1rm numbers. 

This is a chance for them to show off before spring practice starts. We don’t know how much or little emphasis they’re putting on it. Could be they do this once or twice during conditioning.

Also, most of the guys are getting a lot better depth than this one. 

• Plus1 3

20 minutes ago, 307husker said:

"a bit high"

Lol, yeah, just a bit...

I wish they would put a lot less emphasis on 1rm numbers. 

I will trust Duval knows what he is doing.  For our powerlifters that depth isnt going to cut it, but his program seems to do a good job of getting guys stronger, faster, and we had very few soft tissue injuries last year.  

• Plus1 2
31 minutes ago, Calvin said:

Is it a thing now to be barefoot in the gym?  I've never seen that before, and I'd think you'd want at least something on your feet to protect them.  

I mean, it’s probably frowned on in most gyms, but it’s the way some people lift. I’ve heard of it mostly for deadlifts. Not that my two cents matters a lot here but I’ve always felt safer deadlifting barefoot.

20 minutes ago, Calvin said:

Is it a thing now to be barefoot in the gym?  I've never seen that before, and I'd think you'd want at least something on your feet to protect them.  

Barefoot squatting is fine as has been around forever. Being barefoot on hardwood (the middle section of the lifting platform is finished like hardwood in nice setups) is pretty stupid. If any sweat drips onto the floor it can become a slip-n-slide without shoes on. 

8 hours ago, Calvin said:

I went with low top chuck taylor because I got tired of taking my shoes off to squat or deadlift. Not that shoes provide much protection from dropped weights, I felt safer walking around or changing weights.

In some cases shoes actually may provide more surface area to the floor anyway. I always deadlift/squat in vans because it’s a nice flat bottom that you can press into the floor with. Powerlifting shoes are supposed to be pretty good too according to some of my buddies but I’ve never used them.