Duval's S&C - Year 2

suh_fan93

1 hour ago, Mavric said:

I remember having some chart to gain 50 pounds on my bench in 30 days (maybe it was 90 days)...me and two buddies followed that thing to the letter...It did not work.

I am trying to find it right now...it was so stupid.  They even had you doing negative reps.  I think at the end of it all I went up like 5 pounds.  I want to say it was from Muscle and Fitness magazine.  

1 hour ago, teachercd said:

I remember having some chart to gain 50 pounds on my bench in 30 days (maybe it was 90 days)...me and two buddies followed that thing to the letter...It did not work.

I am trying to find it right now...it was so stupid.  They even had you doing negative reps.  I think at the end of it all I went up like 5 pounds.  I want to say it was from Muscle and Fitness magazine.  

I was following a program where every 4 weeks you could up 12 RM on bench and shoulder press by 5 lbs and squat/deadlift by 10 lbs and I could hit those numbers. Duval’s numbers are reasonable for a 12 month time frame but they must have been working out in season. I seem to remember 1 lb muscle/mo is about the most that can be expected. Gaining strength takes time. If the upperclassmen had been achieving those kinds of gains their whole time then Duval could have said “Old Nebraska is back.

It doesn’t matter what program you follow without the right nutrition and enough sleep. You should look up that program. If it was 5 lbs in 90 days that proves that your partying ways held you back:D

• Haha 1

Question.

If you compared the 1995 Husker team to 2018 teams like Alabama, Clemson, OSU....etc.  How would they stack up?  Im not talking on the field.  I'm talking in the weight room.

Meaning, has this field advanced a lot since the mid 90s so that teams today are even head and shoulders above what our glory days were and so now we are trying to exceed what we had back then?  Or....are they at that level and we need to get back to it?

Keep in mind these are elite levels athletes with a much higher concentration of fast twitch muscle fibers, with amazing diet, recovery, and food programs. And well..just like Clemson they may be getting some stuff :funnyhahah. Of course they are going to see superior muscle and strength gains than a few natural regular guys. 

2 hours ago, teachercd said:

I remember the one summer I worked in a meat packing plant I had increased my bench max by over 40 pounds over the course of the summer. I never went to the gym within that time either. That was the most weight I had gained on bench in that amount of time and it wasn't even close

• Fire 1
8 minutes ago, jsneb83 said:

I remember the one summer I worked in a meat packing plant I had increased my bench max by over 40 pounds over the course of the summer. I never went to the gym within that time either. That was the most weight I had gained on bench in that amount of time and it wasn't even close

You were probably getting plenty of protein. If you worked in a widget plant, maybe only 20 lb gain.

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

Question.

If you compared the 1995 Husker team to 2018 teams like Alabama, Clemson, OSU....etc.  How would they stack up?  Im not talking on the field.  I'm talking in the weight room.

Meaning, has this field advanced a lot since the mid 90s so that teams today are even head and shoulders above what our glory days were and so now we are trying to exceed what we had back then?  Or....are they at that level and we need to get back to it?

I have no idea. But I would think with advances in technology they should be able to add more muscle faster (if they want) and be more healthy.

Technology limited research you could do in the 90s on the best strength training methods. Computers back then couldn’t handle the amount of data you can get on weightlifting and nutrition now. Then  have monitors that can be hooked to their bodies that measure 100s of variables and actually have the ability to analyze them now and find out the best way to do things

I would guess the biggest limiting factor right now would be finding strength coaches that are interested in the research findings. I believe an interview with Duval or Ellis led me to believe they are. You can have the best research team in the world on a subject but if you can’t make people understand it and accept it, it’s worthless. 

15 hours ago, Decked said:

Keep in mind these are elite levels athletes with a much higher concentration of fast twitch muscle fibers, with amazing diet, recovery, and food programs. And well..just like Clemson they may be getting some stuff :funnyhahah. Of course they are going to see superior muscle and strength gains than a few natural regular guys. 

You calling Teachercd natural - those are fighting words

• Haha 1