Duval's S&C - Year 2

suh_fan93

11 minutes ago, Undone said:

Have you guys ever thought about how our defense doesn't really go up against an offense during practice time that resembles Wisconsin's & Iowa's? No disrespect to our offensive line/tight ends, but I'd say that measuring the strength of our defensive front seven probably can't be accurately done quite yet against our own offense in practice.

I think we'll know against Colorado how much progress has really been made there. 

I think this definitely applied in the past.  I'm not so sure now.  Maybe we're a year off yet but I fully expect us to be just as physical, if not more physical, either this year or for sure next.

1 hour ago, Undone said:

Have you guys ever thought about how our defense doesn't really go up against an offense during practice time that resembles Wisconsin's & Iowa's? No disrespect to our offensive line/tight ends, but I'd say that measuring the strength of our defensive front seven probably can't be accurately done quite yet against our own offense in practice.

I think we'll know against Colorado how much progress has really been made there. 

They also don't go against our first-team offense to prepare for other teams, so depth is really important there. Even when our starting lines gets on Iowa/Wisconsin's level, it's the scout team that needs to prepare the defense. I'm not sure we can give the defense a great look at the moment, but we're getting closer.

1 hour ago, Undone said:

Our front 7 has been pretty bad for quite sometime now. That is how you beat those two teams (which we haven't in a while). I think we will be better there this upcoming year. Not fully where we want, but with the Daniels brothers and David Twins we should be solid at least, Stille as well...Ferg, Barry, Miller/Honas don't worry me - need that other OLB to step up Tannor, JoJo, Davis, Dixon.

18 hours ago, Undone said:

I think this is largely an overblown talking point among fans. I'm not saying it's irrelevant, just that it gets more attention than it deserves.

Nebraska just flat out hasn't had the dudes or the coaching to seriously compete in the B1G. So, if I had to assign concern levels, Nebraska not going up against offenses like Wisc. or Iowa's in practice is pretty low. The Huskers had success against those teams at times last year. Size and strength was still definitely an issue, but we also had guys just straight up blowing assignments too often.

13 hours ago, Enhance said:

So, if I had to assign concern levels, Nebraska not going up against offenses like Wisc. or Iowa's in practice is pretty low. 

This is a thread about our strength & conditioning program. Nobody said anything about "assigning concern levels."

1 minute ago, Undone said:

This is a thread about our strength & conditioning program. Nobody said anything about "assigning concern levels."

You suggested the fact that our defense doesn't go up against a Wisc. or Iowa type offense is a concern for measuring how far they've come. I provided context for why I don't think that is a big deal. What's so contentious about that?

1 minute ago, Enhance said:

You suggested the fact that our defense doesn't go up against a Wisc. or Iowa type offense is a concern for measuring how far they've come. I provided context for why I don't think that is a big deal. What's so contentious about that?

Ha, not much. I love you, Enhance.

14 hours ago, Enhance said:

Size and strength was still definitely an issue, but we also had guys just straight up blowing assignments too often.

Every big run was a blown assignment, or very near. Injuries weren’t a massive problem, but enough of one, especially in the front 7. That leaves a guy like Carlos trying to hold up at NG, which he can’t really do. Gifford is trying to be a pass rusher, which he really isn’t. So on and so forth. Colorado was the healthiest we were all year, and while we made enough mistakes to lose, it was also the game we were the most creative. As we had to move people around more, we had to simplify, too. Chinander has some good tricks in his bag, and I’m sure Tuioti brought some of Cal’s with him.

There were also some poor personnel choices, partly due to that. Safeties lining up on the LOS against Michigan’s jumbo sets, but playing 2 deep against a QB that can’t pass vs Illinois. I’m quite sure from what we’ve already heard this spring that Frost and Chinander will better adjust to the diversity of the Big Ten’s offenses this year.

If only two things happen this year I think we are massively improved as a defense: a pass rusher at OLB emerges and the Daniels bros hold up at NG. That allows the twins to penetrate more, which is where their strength is, and it allows us to play more man coverage which I think can be a strength.

• Plus1 4
21 minutes ago, brophog said:

Every big run was a blown assignment, or very near. Injuries weren’t a massive problem, but enough of one, especially in the front 7. That leaves a guy like Carlos trying to hold up at NG, which he can’t really do. Gifford is trying to be a pass rusher, which he really isn’t. So on and so forth. Colorado was the healthiest we were all year, and while we made enough mistakes to lose, it was also the game we were the most creative. As we had to move people around more, we had to simplify, too. Chinander has some good tricks in his bag, and I’m sure Tuioti brought some of Cal’s with him.

There were also some poor personnel choices, partly due to that. Safeties lining up on the LOS against Michigan’s jumbo sets, but playing 2 deep against a QB that can’t pass vs Illinois. I’m quite sure from what we’ve already heard this spring that Frost and Chinander will better adjust to the diversity of the Big Ten’s offenses this year.

If only two things happen this year I think we are massively improved as a defense: a pass rusher at OLB emerges and the Daniels bros hold up at NG. That allows the twins to penetrate more, which is where their strength is, and it allows us to play more man coverage which I think can be a strength.

First off, +1 - great post.

If Stoltenberg had been healthy all season, we still lose 8 games. And the 'Gifford as a pass rusher' thing was something I talked about all season long; it didn't work, at all. 

I also do think we have more options for our down linemen and I think that if buy-in in the weight room occurs this offseason that whole situation gets even better. But this is where I'm at - Chinander has to really use his brain when we play Wisconsin & Iowa. I'm not saying that I predict we'll lose to them both again this year necessarily but I will say that if they chip us for four yards per carry with an overall large rushing total and both beat us I will very much call out all of the excuse-making that will ensue for our 3-4 scheme.

• Plus1 1
22 hours ago, Undone said:

First off, +1 - great post.

If Stoltenberg had been healthy all season, we still lose 8 games.

We’ve talked about Mick before, I’m not going to pile on. The point, though, was as we had to move/replace guys the calls had to be simplified. Despite much better play in the secondary as the year went on, we became much less disruptive. Of our 25 sacks, only 11 came in the 9 conference games and only 5 came on the road. 

That shouldn’t be as big of a deal in Year 2 because that pool of guys coaches trust will have grown. That’s really where the hope is...how many of these guys that got limited time last year will we see have a big year.

On 3/13/2019 at 10:01 PM, Enhance said:

I think this is largely an overblown talking point among fans. I'm not saying it's irrelevant, just that it gets more attention than it deserves.

Nebraska just flat out hasn't had the dudes or the coaching to seriously compete in the B1G. So, if I had to assign concern levels, Nebraska not going up against offenses like Wisc. or Iowa's in practice is pretty low. The Huskers had success against those teams at times last year. Size and strength was still definitely an issue, but we also had guys just straight up blowing assignments too often.

Their defenses shouldn't match up against our  offense either. We need to get the right guys in and execute.   The rest will take care of itself. 

I think that if Davis was truly 325lbs last season, and continues a good trajectory in the S&C program, adding weight to his stockier frame, he could surprise at NG, especially with a second year in Duval's S&C program. Although, it does really seem the coaches are fond of the Daniel's brothers at NG, so I could be completely off-kilter and he trims down for DE. 

We need to win the battle in the trenches and this year we should be making tremendous strides. Easier said than done. A pass rush of any sort next year should also be improved as we will be bigger and faster this year. The Oline needs to push the other teams around so we can get tough yards when we need them. Third and short was a big struggle last year. 

Football injuries happen and so I don't really attribute that to poor S&C. We should also see our guys last longer and be more durable as the season wears on.

In year two we still aren't where we need to be, but we are almost there. The days of getting pushed around are over though. It would also be cool to see us blow a few teams out this year because we are not only a better-conditioned team but just a better overall team. 

Seems like a common quote amongst coaches in spring interviews has been the “pace” at which all positions are able to get to now v last spring/season. 

Point blank, the players couldn’t practice at the capacity/stamina  the coaches wanted. Now it seems they are getting there. That alone will bump the team and players up a notch.  Not X’s and O’s but just the competitive level expectation is finally getting met (and I’d guess it’s still at the low thresh) which means the coaches can finally start to implement their real scheme. 

Exciting times to watch how advanced training once again pushes our Cornhuskers to elite levels for football.