Duval's S&C - Year 2

suh_fan93

2 hours ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

Would have been nice to see a starting point to all the number when they do post them tho.  That way we can actually see improvement 

If you don't see improvement on the field it doesn't really matter how much they are lifting. Probably better to just let it go than embarrass kids that were just doing what they were told.

• Plus1 1
29 minutes ago, WyoHusker56 said:

I knew it was bad, but I didn't realize it was don't publish the numbers they are embarrassing bad. That's scary...

I would think there may have been more of a - let's don't tell our opponents just how fat, slow and out of shape our team really is -  than the concern over embarrassing individual players.   They could easily have reported out team totals, averages, position groups, or something similar.  In these cases one would tend to supect that 'no news is bad news' on the topic of team athletic ability, strength, speed, etc.  Surely, the team made gains in speed, body fat reduction, etc.   It would be nice to hear atleast some team wide numbers to indicate the reality of the strength and conditioning program.   Frost says we made major improvements in these areas.   Give us some kind of numerical indication of the improvement if not the current status.  We know the progress will continue.   This is the beginning of year 2.  Frost has only been in charge for about 18 months.  By game kick off Sept 1, 2020, the improvement should be up near 90% of the way to having the team in the shape Frost expects.   I would guess we're around 75% of the way - maybe - at the start of fall camp.

• Fire 1

3 hours ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Frost says we made major improvements in these areas.   Give us some kind of numerical indication of the improvement if not the current status.

You'll be able to see from the photos that'll come out during fall camp just by looking at guys how much improvement has been made.

11 hours ago, Undone said:

You'll be able to see from the photos that'll come out during fall camp just by looking at guys how much improvement has been made.

Hopefully our DB's put some meat on their chicken legs.  I thought it was thinner thigh pads over the years but looking at other teams (presumably wearing similar thigh pads) I concluded nope, chicken legs.  I wasn't surprised when Duval said their group was the least motivated in the weight room but started taking S&C more seriously this year.

• Plus1 1

Couple of things I found interesting in the updated roster related to S&C:

Garrett Nelson is listed at 6'3 260 already - I'm buying him as a contributor this year with his motor if he's anywhere near that size. Size was really my only question with him, he's a good enough athlete and just plays harder than other guys.

Washington is still fairly small at 190, but if he's actually 190 this year (and plays) that's huge. From what I remember hearing he was in the 170s most of last year.

Tannor at only 220 is kind of surprising, and makes me wonder what he actually played at last year - 200? I don't know how big he's supposed to get, but with the other huge gains in years 1 and 2 I expected him over 230.

Ben Stille didn't have a huge jump (290 to 295), but similar to Washington if he's actually near the listed weight that's big. He got mauled against Iowa, it was painful when he would slide down to the A gap. Think I remember hearing upper 270s for him last year, 15-20 lbs would help a lot.

I'm hoping the refs let them play in the defensive backfield, because our corners are huge and should be able to push receivers around. Bootle is the exception, but Jackson, Taylor, and Clark are all 210+ and Wright and Newsome have the frames to be that size as well.

• Plus1 2
14 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

Garrett Nelson is listed at 6'3 260 already - I'm buying him as a contributor this year with his motor if he's anywhere near that size. Size was really my only question with him, he's a good enough athlete and just plays harder than other guys.

Washington is still fairly small at 190, but if he's actually 190 this year (and plays) that's huge. From what I remember hearing he was in the 170s most of last year.

Tannor at only 220 is kind of surprising, and makes me wonder what he actually played at last year - 200? I don't know how big he's supposed to get, but with the other huge gains in years 1 and 2 I expected him over 230.

Ben Stille didn't have a huge jump (290 to 295), but similar to Washington if he's actually near the listed weight that's big. He got mauled against Iowa, it was painful when he would slide down to the A gap. Think I remember hearing upper 270s for him last year, 15-20 lbs would help a lot.

I'm hoping the refs let them play in the defensive backfield, because our corners are huge and should be able to push receivers around. Bootle is the exception, but Jackson, Taylor, and Clark are all 210+ and Wright and Newsome have the frames to be that size as well.

Frost commented this week that Washington is “doing a pretty good job in the weight room.”

1 hour ago, Husker in WI said:

Here's one too, Ty Robinson is listed at 6'6" and 315. If he's actually close to that and plays at that then holy cow he should push for major playing time and contribute. 

• Plus1 1