Duval's S&C - Year 2

suh_fan93

1 hour ago, MJM 1 said:

I think all that is concentrated on is pure power lifting.  Really bragging on how much weight a player can lift.  How many power lifters are in pro/ college football? None because they can't move,  no flexibility,  slow. Hmmm...

What??  Interesting take.  Our speed on the team has increased.  Our size of the team has increased. That is completely related to the fact our guys are more powerful and have more strength.   Not sure what our flexibility is.  

Husker Power was focus on  evidence-based outcomes.  Duval is all about the science.  Since power is a function of work/time, I would never be too worried about max bench or squat numbers.  I'd rather face a 500 pound bench that can only throw up 225 about fifteen times per minute than a 300 pound bench that can throw up 225 at twice the rate.  The big bench is impressive, but the rapid-fire 225 guy is more football relevant.  Everyone focuses on 40 times, but the box run and 10 yard is much more relevant to football.  Standing broad jump, vertical jump, hill climbs, and stair run are not often cited tests these days, but they are great ways to separate men from boys, too.  Power just is the least understood term when it comes to football.  But if you really want to win you really focus on the true meaning behind the term.

On 12/4/2019 at 7:56 PM, MJM 1 said:

I think all that is concentrated on is pure power lifting.  Really bragging on how much weight a player can lift.  How many power lifters are in pro/ college football? None because they can't move,  no flexibility,  slow. Hmmm...

Is the a 1/4 squat event in power lifting?

7 hours ago, madrat said:

I'd rather face a 500 pound bench that can only throw up 225 about fifteen times per minute than a 300 pound bench that can throw up 225 at twice the rate.  

You think there’s someone out there that has a bench max of 300 that can throw up 225 faster than a guy with a 500 max?  I’d be curious to see that. 

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1

Im pretty new to the site, huge Husker and Wyoming football fan.  Just my own observation when Duval was at Wyoming I've never seen our guys so slow and immobal, when the new S&C arrived from Oklahoma, after Duval, players that I knew told me that they didn't know what working out was like.  It was like night and day what I saw on the field, bigger, stronger, faster players.  Should Duval get credit at UCF?  Was he there only 1 year?  I personally think the team was stacked when he arrived, what impact did he really have at UCF? When Frost brought his staff from UCF that was the one position that I was really concerned with. 

One last thing it is my opinion that bulking up Martinez has really hurt his performance.  Oh, he can squat 500lbs, but now he can't move, slower than most D-Linemen.

10 minutes ago, MJM 1 said:

One last thing it is my opinion that bulking up Martinez has really hurt his performance.  Oh, he can squat 500lbs, but now he can't move, slower than most D-Linemen.

This was sooo obvious in the first game, but sooo controversial to talk about.  :lol:

By the way, I think Wyoming is getting close to being a very good team.

2 hours ago, Jason Sitoke said:

You think there’s someone out there that has a bench max of 300 that can throw up 225 faster than a guy with a 500 max?  I’d be curious to see that. 

The 300 pound bench presses are very common at the college level, but it is uncommon in the average population.  I've had the pleasure of experiencing taking on two different gents with claimed 500 pound bench presses and they had great strength.  I know what it's like to be head slapped by one of those brutes, and it hurt like being hit by a tree trunk.  But all that strength faded fast.  The trick is consistently stay on top with hand position so you never feel their great strength used against you.  People that study Judo should be able to relate to this.

If you learned hand technique then hand speed and arm length are golden.  Not too many big bench press guys have great endurance.  As endurance fades so does the hand speed.  If you aren't winning hand position you waste your strength.  Guys with much lower bench presses were consistently better as the game wore on.  Don't confuse being weaker on a weight bench with being weaker at football.  Will Shields was a good example of that.  Sucked at heavy weight on the bench press but could throw up 225 pounds at lightning speeds.