Duval's S&C - Year 2

suh_fan93

2 hours ago, MJM 1 said:

Im pretty new to the site, huge Husker and Wyoming football fan.  Just my own observation when Duval was at Wyoming I've never seen our guys so slow and immobal, when the new S&C arrived from Oklahoma, after Duval, players that I knew told me that they didn't know what working out was like.  It was like night and day what I saw on the field, bigger, stronger, faster players.  Should Duval get credit at UCF?  Was he there only 1 year?  I personally think the team was stacked when he arrived, what impact did he really have at UCF? When Frost brought his staff from UCF that was the one position that I was really concerned with. 

One last thing it is my opinion that bulking up Martinez has really hurt his performance.  Oh, he can squat 500lbs, but now he can't move, slower than most D-Linemen.

Interesting. We had only heard good things about Duval from UCF and when he was working with local youth sports in Omaha. 

I’m not too happy with how we looked this year on this front (see Martinez), but I’m willing to give Duval time to get it right. 

1 hour ago, I am I said:

What the university released to the public on weights and conditioning, the team improved across the board at speed, strength, weight, vert, quickness, and stamina. 

You could see it on the field. I personally believe we are just a “winning mentality” away from going 9-3/10-2 instead of 5-7. To me it’s mental, not physical 

Both.  Plus, leaders & a couple of playmakers. 

• Plus1 1

A lot of the game is won and lost by the non-stars (journeyman).  The stars look pretty good by the time they are seniors, regardless which coach recruited them.  It really is the journeyman that has to get better across the board.  Wilson got his job with hustle.  We're finally getting to the point where guys with ability should be given the chance to beat him out of his position.  Honestly, we don't have a single OL superstar and all the jobs need to be under a competition.  This includes projects like Jurgens.  The same goes for every position across the board.  The men will separate from the boys under competitive conditions.  Most coaches mistake the product in practice conditions as equal to competitive situations.

4 hours ago, Lightfighter214 said:

could argue his hesitation was a bigger cause of him looking slower

I'd love to see any actual examples on video of Martinez hesitating as a runner. People have talked about it all year but I've never seen it; I've just seen him not be able to get as quick of a step.

• Plus1 1
5 hours ago, Landlord said:

I'd love to see any actual examples on video of Martinez hesitating as a runner. People have talked about it all year but I've never seen it; I've just seen him not be able to get as quick of a step.

Eh,  see Exhibit 1.... SEASON  2019....

• Plus1 3

S & C had nothing to do with Martinez's bad knee that was fully visible with a brace.  Martinez had to two step turns which is the hesitation people witnesses.  Opposing coaches had no problem identifying this issue which adds even more bewilderment why Frost stuck to him when he had become ineffective at running laterally and repetitive failing to deliver on time to his teammates.  Martinez has an old man knee and it seem to have been worse over the course of the season.  His delivery mechanics were very poor and did not reflect his throwing motion the previous year.  He often short armed his throws with no thumbs down follow through, which made even simple passes needlessly more dramatic.  The sudden decline in his throwing motion hints at a shoulder injury, which again has nothing to do with S & C. 

Wandale had a hip injury that was serious enough to hold him out of practice yet he was allowed to participate at game time.  Clearly he was not anywhere near full speed against Iowa.  Instead of Duval, maybe fans should be asking about the athletic trainers letting injured athletes continue to play.