Duval's S&C - Year 2

suh_fan93

1 hour ago, madrat said:

S & C had nothing to do with Martinez's bad knee that was fully visible with a brace.  Martinez had to two step turns which is the hesitation people witnesses.  Opposing coaches had no problem identifying this issue which adds even more bewilderment why Frost stuck to him when he had become ineffective at running laterally and repetitive failing to deliver on time to his teammates.  Martinez has an old man knee and it seem to have been worse over the course of the season.  His delivery mechanics were very poor and did not reflect his throwing motion the previous year.  He often short armed his throws with no thumbs down follow through, which made even simple passes needlessly more dramatic.  The sudden decline in his throwing motion hints at a shoulder injury, which again has nothing to do with S & C. 

Wandale had a hip injury that was serious enough to hold him out of practice yet he was allowed to participate at game time.  Clearly he was not anywhere near full speed against Iowa.  Instead of Duval, maybe fans should be asking about the athletic trainers letting injured athletes continue to play.

... A shoulder injury from lifting heavy would be from the S & C. Should’ve had him focus on staying around 215, instead of ballooning up. A bum knee can be from improper form when heavy lifting too.

By the way, the athletic trainer leaves injuries that can be played through up to the head coach. 

If your quarterback is already heavy enough to take hits from what was a terrible OL at the start of the season, tell him to work on the accessories important to him being healthy... A la what Alabama did with Jalen Hurts. 

10 hours ago, Landlord said:

I'd love to see any actual examples on video of Martinez hesitating as a runner. People have talked about it all year but I've never seen it; I've just seen him not be able to get as quick of a step.

Exactly.  It's that first step or two that doesn't have the burst he did in 2018.  

6 hours ago, dspanther05 said:

It was brought up by about every announcing crew as the season progressed. 

6 hours ago, Comish said:

Eh,  see Exhibit 1.... SEASON  2019....

4 hours ago, ActualCornHusker said:

Martinez's indecision was on full display all year. His 2nd half vs Illinois was the exception to that

Okay, so got any examples?

12 minutes ago, Lightfighter214 said:

There was a game on tv where frost starring chewing him out because he wouldn't take off running.

Lots of examples,  just cause you cant remember them doesnt mean i have to go find video for you

That's more when he was scrambling on a pass. On an actual designed run he was fairly decisive but his cutting was slow as hell as well as his straight line speed. I do believe on the zone read vs Iowa where he was tackled for little to no gain that either Vedral or McCaffrey wouldve have had a way better chance at getting to the corner to get a better chance at making a decent gain

5 hours ago, CalhounHusker said:

... A shoulder injury from lifting heavy would be from the S & C. Should’ve had him focus on staying around 215, instead of ballooning up. A bum knee can be from improper form when heavy lifting too.

By the way, the athletic trainer leaves injuries that can be played through up to the head coach. 

If your quarterback is already heavy enough to take hits from what was a terrible OL at the start of the season, tell him to work on the accessories important to him being healthy... A la what Alabama did with Jalen Hurts. 

Source?

8 hours ago, CalhounHusker said:

Not knocking you, but you realize Hurts squats like 600 lbs....AM is 5 lbs heavier. And the same height.

9 hours ago, CalhounHusker said:

If your quarterback is already heavy enough to take hits from what was a terrible OL at the start of the season, tell him to work on the accessories important to him being healthy... 

Just as an interesting data point, I specifically remember Frost addressing his weight at some point last year in a presser. He said something along the lines of “he weighs about as much as I did when I played.” 

And then added (and this isn’t verbatim) “if we can get him up to around 225 I think we can do just about anything we want with him.”

I can’t and won’t take the time to find the clip, but I do remember the conversation. So, they wanted him heavier.

11 minutes ago, Undone said:

Just as an interesting data point, I specifically remember Frost addressing his weight at some point last year in a presser. He said something along the lines of “he weighs about as much as I did when I played.” 

And then added (and this isn’t verbatim) “if we can get him up to around 225 I think we can do just about anything we want with him.”

I can’t and won’t take the time to find the clip, but I do remember the conversation. So, they wanted him heavier.

I remember something like that being talked about but cant remember who said it so ill take your word for it.  It is more than just weight though.  Maybe his knee is worse than we thought? And some of it seems mental.  10-15 pounds doesnt slow you that much if your a college athlete.  

27 minutes ago, BigPeterJ said:

I remember something like that being talked about but cant remember who said it so ill take your word for it.  It is more than just weight though.  Maybe his knee is worse than we thought? And some of it seems mental.  10-15 pounds doesnt slow you that much if your a college athlete.  

I concur with @Undone  I remember Frost commenting about AM being his size when he played.......And wanting him to get a little bigger to take the pounding.

The three dual threat guys in the playoffs are all about the same size.  Joey at 6'4, 216....Hurts and Fields 6'2 (219 and 223 respectively).  AM 6'2 @225.....not a lot of difference.  The 3 in the play offs are straight up ballers.  (Tua is 6'1 and 218)

Looks like he gained maybe 20 lbs since arriving on campus......Showed him at 205.

5 hours ago, gobiggergoredder said:

I kind of have to agree here.  His hesitation has been out there all year.  Why pick one clip?  Just watch a game.

I watched the game and didn't see what others claim to see. Him keeping his eyes downfield on a passing play when he could have ran for the first down might be bad decisiveness, but isn't what I'm perceiving people to mean when they say hesitancy in the running game, and I haven't seen Martinez be particularly hesitant as a runner. I've seen him "give up" on runs when he knew there wasn't anything extra to be had, and I've seen him try to bounce runs outside because that's what he does as a runner, and I've seen him try to make moves but fail because he's lost a step, but I haven't seen that.

Hence, I'm curious for examples of what people are talking about. Nobody has to give me one, but I'm interested in what people are seeing that I'm not.

4 hours ago, BigPeterJ said:

I could have sworn I read that he put on 30 lbs of muscle between last season and this one.

• Plus1 1