Duval's S&C - Year 2

suh_fan93

12 hours ago, suh_fan93 said:

I have to imagine, to a player, the staff still didn't like the S&C of the team up to this point, meaning they felt they still had a ways to go to maximize the potential of the current players. One year in a rigorous S&C program probably isn't enough, especially if the players are directionless and unaware of what to expect, which was partially the case last December.

Then there are also guys like Maurice Washington who barely had any time to bulk up last year. I'm excited to see what he looks like in the fall after an entire offseason with Duval.

• Plus1 2
16 minutes ago, Enhance said:

I have to imagine, to a player, the staff still didn't like the S&C of the team up to this point, meaning they felt they still had a ways to go to maximize the potential of the current players. One year in a rigorous S&C program probably isn't enough, especially if the players are directionless and unaware of what to expect, which was partially the case last December.

Then there are also guys like Maurice Washington who barely had any time to bulk up last year. I'm excited to see what he looks like in the fall after an entire offseason with Duval.

Yeah I've thought the same about MW as well.  I also love how Frost definitely gets it as far as how important s & c is.  Never heard a peep about that from the previous coaches after Osborne at least.

8 minutes ago, gobiggergoredder said:

He said it in the post game.  Basically they got beat because Iowa was bigger and stronger.  Also something like that's not going to happen anymore.

Yep, and they're still not in the position they want to be from a recruiting/roster standpoint. Nebraska only had one off-season recruiting to the 3-4 with Diaco and now half the players from that class aren't here for a variety of reasons. That's dreadful. Follow that up by a 'let's do the best we can' class in Frost's first year and now this class.

It's probably still going to be about two years until the lack of size/strength is no longer an issue. Probably about the time someone like Ty Robinson is weighted up and producing significant PT.

• Plus1 1

Speaking of the roster, @Mavric posted (somewhere) that 11 players in this recruiting class are 6’4 or taller and 17 on the current roster are 6’4 or taller.

If we get no more tall guys this class and get 30 players that’s 37% of the incoming class vs 12% of the roster. If we assume the 17 are scholarship players, it’s 20% of the scholarship players.

Regardless, the staff is definitely changing the type of player we’re going to have. 

• Plus1 1
23 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Speaking of the roster, @Mavric posted (somewhere) that 11 players in this recruiting class are 6’4 or taller and 17 on the current roster are 6’4 or taller.

If we get no more tall guys this class and get 30 players that’s 37% of the incoming class vs 12% of the roster. If we assume the 17 are scholarship players, it’s 20% of the scholarship players.

Regardless, the staff is definitely changing the type of player we’re going to have. 

If we bring in 30 scholarship players, then there's maximum of 58 possible current scholarship players because of the 85 limit with an additional 3 oversigned. 17 of 58 is 29%, so while it's a change, it's not that big of a change.

23 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

If we bring in 30 scholarship players, then there's maximum of 58 possible current scholarship players because of the 85 limit with an additional 3 oversigned. 17 of 58 is 29%, so while it's a change, it's not that big of a change.

My % is assuming @Mavric is talking about the roster for 2018.

Edit: it might also have been the 2 deep roster. Not sure. There are 29/114 6’4 or taller on the 2019-2020 roster but that includes walk ons. 

19 hours ago, Moiraine said:

I don't know if the following was published anywhere, but Benning made some comment this morning about having talked to Chinander recently about the biggest thing he learned with the B1G in year one. Apparently, Chinander said it was just understanding what kind of competition they were up against and what they need to combat it. They had a pretty good idea but it was one of those things you have to be enveloped in to truly understand.

And then this all gets back to some of the comments Frost made all year - there were too many times this year that Nebraska wasn't the biggest, strongest and fastest team on the field.

• Plus1 1

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, San Diego Husker said:

this is tongue in cheek stuff.  nothing more..  if you have ever had a huge worked out after a lay off walking strait can be a goal for a day..  lol.

I hadn't done a leg day in a while and when I finally did I could walk for the next 5 days

On 12/23/2018 at 1:29 AM, suh_fan93 said:

Maybe I've just missed the information but where is the 'sports information' from the Athletic Department anymore?   I have fully expected and impatiently been waiting for the raw data / numbers on the team (the basic weights, measures, times, etc) for the testing and development from last year and hopefully we'll see the numbers from pre-winter conditioning testing for the upcoming season.   They may be taking some time off although since we didn't have any bowl prep or formal practices since late November, I would assume the players have been hitting the conditioning, lifting, etc some since then and ought to be going full bore shortly.   The team - reportedly - made some good progress in year one of Duval, etal strength and conditioning although all I ever heard were generalized statements of 'the team is in much better shape' and such.   Where are the hard numbers such as players weights, lifts, times, indexes, etc?    It may well be that the numbers were bad, they opted to keep it secret so as to not encourage the opposition but on the other hand it seems the fans need to hear some good news beyond 4 -8 is not the same as 4-8 and the eye test suggests the team is much improved.   

Who is the SID by the way?    We used to hear from him in interviews, public statements, etc.   Has Duval or Epley been interviewed recently?   If they don't want to release individual data, they can surely put together some team averages, body fat % s, etc etc etc.   Fans need something to talk about and something to really hold on to as they try to stay positive and encouraged for the future.     I know I am far away in upstate NY(so info is limited). but still I would expect something to ponder and actually discuss and read about 

• Haha 1