suh_fan93

Duval's S&C - Year 2

That machine he is working out on, the t-bar, we had one of those at the college where I went, and you could sure tell the difference on that lift between the farm kids who were used to unloading and stacking two semi trucks of square bales, and the city kids. The city boys did reps of 15 and the farm boys could have measured their sets in minutes instead of reps. Really though that was about the only lift you could tell a difference , or maybe the 12 oz. curls

1 minute ago, 4skers89 said:

Hopefully our guys are in better shape this year and nobody gets rhabdomyolysis. 

https://sports.yahoo.com/second-oregon-player-sues-school-taggart-ncaa-200420435--spt.html

rhabdo started getting some attention among the wildland firefighting community too in the last ten years.  

I really think if you train right it shouldn't be an issue.  It is caused by a sudden spike of protein in the blood that shuts down the kidneys.  That protein is coming from destroyed muscle tissue.  Either take a break once in awhile or build up to those workouts.  This is football, not running up a mountain to get away from a Grizzly three days in a row.  Football is anaerobic.  >2:1 rest to work ratio should keep you out of trouble.

Up the water if you are hitting the supplements hard, like creatine.

If you ever smell ammonia when you work out, time for a few carbs and some water .

• Plus1 1

11 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Moiraine just wanted this thread split out so she could see some eye candy. 

She's going to love this more than T. Martinez and the Pipeline.

• Plus1 1

I'm excited to see Caleb Tannor and MW after a full off season of S&C. Both were late arrivals who didn't get any of it last year.

I hope MW's work also helps prevent future hits like this one at the 1:27 mark. I've watched this play over and over again and I'm still shocked at how much MW got rocked. Looks like a big part of it was he just peeled off at the end thinking he was going to be clear into the end zone, though.

• Plus1 1

21 minutes ago, Enhance said:

I'm excited to see Caleb Tannor and MW after a full off season of S&C. Both were late arrivals who didn't get any of it last year.

I hope MW's work also helps prevent future hits like this one at the 1:27 mark. I've watched this play over and over again and I'm still shocked at how much MW got rocked. Looks like a big part of it was he just peeled off at the end thinking he was going to be clear into the end zone, though.

Don't worry. Stanley is gone, so he can't block defenders so aggressively that they get drove through our RBs anymore. :laughpound:laughpound:laughpound

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Enhance said:

Honetly I think it had to do with physics. Stan 200 pounds+ defender ~200 pounds hitting 175 pound Washington at speed. 

3 hours ago, Enhance said:

He will get stronger...however I think this is a poor example to illustrate.

His momentum was already carrying him to the corner and the defender hit him on his backside shoulder.  MW had no momentum in the direction opposing the hit...might as well have been standing still.  Try it at home....stand there and let someone lay their body into one of your shoulders front side.  Let me know how it goes.

• Plus1 1

Man I forgot we were down 17-0 to Troy. I was unfairly expecting more out of MW last year, hope to see him turn the corner this upcoming season.  Definitely going to need him.

On 1/16/2019 at 8:17 PM, Scarlet Overkill said:

Meanwhile, at Oregon State’s weight room

• Haha 3

Last season we started to see video of weight room accomplishments or players talking about the S&C program after a couple weeks. Any updates on how things are going or when we might hear some progression news?

6 hours ago, Throw Dem Bones said:

Last season we started to see video of weight room accomplishments or players talking about the S&C program after a couple weeks. Any updates on how things are going or when we might hear some progression news?

Are you 84 husker law’s sock?

• Eyeroll 1

1 hour ago, Scarlet Overkill said:

I know - was kidding.  He often mentions wanting our guys’ performance numbers so fans can have something to talk about.

Ahhhh got it. But I would love some numbers so we have something to talk about!!

I haven't seen near as much marketing of the team during winter conditioning this year as I did in 2018 but I think that is probably a good thing overall. It could signal a movement into things that matter a bit more. Sort of like yeah... it's great to see you getting (figuratively) murdered in the weight room... but if you get blown off the ball against Iowa in November then that video in January suddenly seems not so cool.

I love seeing fresh content as much as the next fan but I think a quiet, hard-working winter is probably for the best.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Enhance said:

I haven't seen near as much marketing of the team during winter conditioning this year as I did in 2018 but I think that is probably a good thing overall. It could signal a movement into things that matter a bit more. Sort of like yeah... it's great to see you getting (figuratively) murdered in the weight room... but if you get blown off the ball against Iowa in November then that video in January suddenly seems not so cool.

I love seeing fresh content as much as the next fan but I think a quiet, hard-working winter is probably for the best.

I agree. The S&C updates and the hype last offseason was what we needed in order to keep up the excitement for Frost's inaugural year. It was chum in the water. We didn't really have anything else to grab ahold of at the time. The marketing machine was running hard all throughout new years day up and worked us all into a frenzy up until the stunning blue-balls moment of the Akron game. That level of hype for an incoming coach can really only happen once.

2 hours ago, Enhance said:

Hopefully this year the players are working out rather than talking about working out.

2 hours ago, Enhance said:

Makes me wonder if they will go the UCF weekly video of "the program" like they did in 2017 or just stick to a blue collar, lunchpale, no media coverage approach.

• Eyeroll 1

3 minutes ago, husker_fan_from_sweden said:

Makes me wonder if they will go the UCF weekly video of "the program" like they did in 2017 or just stick to a blue collar, lunchpale, no media coverage approach.

Good question. Part of me thinks it will be more of the latter just because of the dynamic differences between UCF and Nebraska. They probably needed to do more things to engage the fans down there and just get them interested in the team again, whereas Nebraska is already a fish bowl and we'll sell out stadiums for a 4-8 team. :lol:

A little Riley S&C tidbit that came out over on RSS last week. During the 2017 season they didn't have the guys lifting PERIOD. If the players wanted to lift they had to use the rec-center or some other gym. Speaks to massive project Duval was left with, not surprising a couple guys got rhabdo doing workouts that had already been watered-down and we still had issues against stronger fronts. On the positive side this means all the more gains potential we have with Duval being able to hit the ground running this winter. 

• Plus1 1

2 minutes ago, Danimal said:

A little Riley S&C tidbit that came out over on RSS last week. During the 2017 season they didn't have the guys lifting PERIOD. If the players wanted to lift they had to use the rec-center or some other gym. Speaks to massive project Duval was left with, not surprising a couple guys got rhabdo doing workouts that had already been watered-down and we still had issues against stronger fronts. On the positive side this means all the more gains potential we have with Duval being able to hit the ground running this winter. 

I'm not buying that. The football team has its own weight room, so it makes no sense for Riley to make the effort to force them to workout elsewhere.

• Plus1 1
  • Upvote 2

48 minutes ago, Danimal said:

Oh my god!  No lifting at all?!  I can't believe it!  

I also can't believe that Riley mandated a 2 bowl minimum of frozen yogurt everyday before practice.  Ugh...that Riley!  He just has no clue.

Thank god everything is all fixed now.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 3
  • Eyeroll 1

1 hour ago, Danimal said:

Not buying that story.

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

Not buying that story.

Dunno about the rec center part but it’s not wholly inaccurate.

I don’t remember when but someone asked Frost how the strength training would be different during the season than in years past and I believe his exact quote was “We’re going to lift.” It was clear he was implying they weren’t doing that during the season under Riley. 

2 hours ago, Jason Sitoke said:

I also can't believe that Riley mandated a 2 bowl minimum of frozen yogurt everyday before practice.

W/ 2 tbsp of granola:D

Lifting may have been without emphasis, but the notion that guys had to go to the rec center if they wanted to lift? Not buying that. It runs contrary to what players from that time frame have said. Many of them still lifted. Plus, if that were the case, that would've been a huge story at some point. Somehow, only someone over at RSS knows about it? Nope.

• Plus1 1

Maybe it's fair to say then that Riley (possibly) didn't necessarily emphasize lifting in season? 

Regardless we're in very good hands with this staff as far as s & c go now it seems.

• Plus1 1

3 hours ago, RedDenver said:

I'm not buying that. The football team has its own weight room, so it makes no sense for Riley to make the effort to force them to workout elsewhere.

First hand knowledge here, I can confirm for a fact that's false. Athletes went to the rec here and there, but you could still see players in the north stadium weight room as you walked by too. Dylan Utter was the only football player I saw consistently use the rec weight room

• Plus1 1

39 minutes ago, Swiv3D said:

First hand knowledge here, I can confirm for a fact that's false. Athletes went to the rec here and there, but you could still see players in the north stadium weight room as you walked by too. Dylan Utter was the only football player I saw consistently use the rec weight room

Things get exaggerated. Maybe they wanted to minimize the amount of lifting the players did during game weeks and there were a few rogue players who did more elsewhere.

• Plus1 1

5 minutes ago, grandpasknee said:

Who is the dude in the lower right swinging the ropes?

Mike Williams

• Plus1 1

I will say,  been out a few years, but my last years at UNL were still under Mike Riley. I saw football players lifting at the rec multiple times. I don't buy it for a second that they were forced to use it. Maybe it was just closer to their dorms, they wanted to get some extra work in, blow a little steam off, get a break from being around the team? 

But watching D1 football players lift next to Joey who decided to put the XBox controller down long enough to hit the rec for a little bit was pretty comical. 

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Atbone95 said:

I will say,  been out a few years, but my last years at UNL were still under Mike Riley. I saw football players lifting at the rec multiple times. I don't buy it for a second that they were forced to use it. Maybe it was just closer to their dorms, they wanted to get some extra work in, blow a little steam off, get a break from being around the team? 

But watching D1 football players lift next to Joey who decided to put the XBox controller down long enough to hit the rec for a little bit was pretty comical. 

I'd have to read the report again but it was something to that effect.  I'm not sure it was absolutely no lifting but there have been a lot of reports from a lot of sources saying it was limited.  Some combination of times lifted, amount lifted, etc.  So this report was that guys who were still wanting to lift more/more often would go to the rec to lift.  It seems pretty plausible from all we've heard.

It was definitely different than the S&C under the Pelini administration...

in which I played football players in the university intramural flag-football league... 

Walking on to a field and seeing the other team has Imani Cross at RB was discouraging. 

• Plus1 2

1 hour ago, Atbone95 said:

It was definitely different than the S&C under the Pelini administration...

in which I played football players in the university intramural flag-football league... 

Walking on to a field and seeing the other team has Imani Cross at RB was discouraging. 

I was stupid enough to challenge some of the volleyball team to a match in the rec center the years Sarah Pavin was in school. I was scared for my life the first time she actually let a swing rip when I wouldn't stop running my mouth.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2