Duval's S&C - Year 2

suh_fan93

2 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Ok ....serious question. 

They dont wear out, do they????

why would we need all new ones?

A couple possibilities:

They needed more because they have more players (someone else said this above)

They do wear out to the point that they don't look nice enough for the tours when they're showing off the facility. I have rusty/scuffed ones (they might be 20 years old) and they're pretty fugly.

5 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

A couple possibilities:

They do wear out to the point that they don't look nice enough for the tours when they're showing off the facility. I have rusty/scuffed ones (they might be 20 years old) and they're pretty fugly.

In the grand scheme of things, this means nothing money wise. 

Your first reason is understandable. The second one would just leave me shaking my head. 

I hope they donate the old ones to a high school somewhere that’s short of money. 

4 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

In the grand scheme of things, this means nothing money wise. 

Your first reason is understandable. The second one would just leave me shaking my head. 

I hope they donate the old ones to a high school somewhere that’s short of money. 

*shrug* it's part of the business. Even if it's silly. If you google best college football weight rooms, they all look pretty darn... pretty. I doubt they're tossing them out every year or anything.

• Plus1 2

13 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Ok ....serious question. 

11 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

A couple possibilities:

And even if the number of players were the same, I'm guessing it requires a lot more plates than when the players were lollygagging under Riley. More weight and more people actually using them.

• Haha 1
3 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

And even if the number of players were the same, I'm guessing it requires a lot more plates than when the players were lollygagging under Riley. More weight and more people actually using them.

That's quite possible too. We've heard multiple times their weights were limited. They are also doing a different type of squat now where you can naturally lift more weight (I can't remember which you can lift heavier on, back or front).

2 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Ok ....serious question. 

They do wear out. All bumper plates (so rubber, not metal) have a little metal ring in the center hole that the bar slides into. Every time that weight hits the floor the rubber around the metal ring compresses a very small amount. Eventually the material breaks down enough that the ring can become loose and the plate will break. Usually it breaks off with the ring and some rubber still on the bar and makes the plate look like a big donut. But it does take a lot of reps. Buying quality stuff means it takes even more reps. Likely tens of thousands before actual failure. You could just replace as needed but then you run into the problem of uneven wear so they tend to get replaced in groups.

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1
33 minutes ago, zeWilbur said:

They do wear out. All bumper plates (so rubber, not metal) have a little metal ring in the center hole that the bar slides into. Every time that weight hits the floor the rubber around the metal ring compresses a very small amount. Eventually the material breaks down enough that the ring can become loose and the plate will break. Usually it breaks off with the ring and some rubber still on the bar and makes the plate look like a big donut. But it does take a lot of reps. Buying quality stuff means it takes even more reps. Likely tens of thousands before actual failure. You could just replace as needed but then you run into the problem of uneven wear so they tend to get replaced in groups.

Good info on bumper plates but I don't think the ones above are bumper plates.  Iron Grip makes iron and urethane plates and the ones above look like iron

http://www.irongrip.com/products/olympicplates_ig.asp

It looks like Iron Grip does the engraving so I wonder if an individual could purchase Husker Power plates from Iron Grip.  

http://www.irongrip.com/products/customized.asp

• Plus1 1

Good bumper plates have an internal metal disc and that disc won't detach from the rubber portions like the cheaper Rogue stuff.  

More likely, they just get dirty and look "worn" after use and for a showpiece weightroom, it wouldn't be quite as sharp looking.

As far as squats:  Front<High Bar Backsquat<Low Bar backsquat.  There might be a 20% difference between front and high bar, and another 10% from high bar to low bar back squats.

1 hour ago, 307husker said:

Good bumper plates have an internal metal disc and that disc won't detach from the rubber portions like the cheaper Rogue stuff.  

More likely, they just get dirty and look "worn" after use and for a showpiece weightroom, it wouldn't be quite as sharp looking.

As far as squats:  Front<High Bar Backsquat<Low Bar backsquat.  There might be a 20% difference between front and high bar, and another 10% from high bar to low bar back squats.

Thanks. They switched from front to back then. I remember trying to calculate how much Farmer had improved his squat after he gave both #s. 

I think a lot of the supposed increases in strength were due to different styles of movements. In my opinion the front squat is far more you useful in football than a back squat but the numbers are smaller, especially amongst novice and intermediate lifters. Technique is certainly more sensitive in a front squat which limits a lot of non barbell athletes.