Duval's S&C - Year 2

suh_fan93

Here is hoping if we still don’t quite match up against teams like Iowa and Wisconsin physically, this happens in year three, and our team speed starts taking a toll on those two opponents. Even starting next season, we may see the end of Iowa’s dominance over us, and in the coming years, we rarely see the Hawkeyes beating us. I also can see the Corn winning more than losing against the Badgers because of Nebraska’s team speed. But of course I am bias, so keep that in mind. GBR!!!

5 hours ago, HuskermanMike said:

Third and short was a big struggle last year. 

Third down was awful last year, in particular the first half of the season where we were one of the worst in the nation. Another year in the system for both the offense as a whole, but specifically Martinez, will help tremendously. He tried at times too hard to make plays and that really affected his completion %.

1st down - 69%

2nd down - 66%

3rd down - 53% (0-9 yards - 51%)

4th down - 40%

On runs of 3rd and 3 or shorter we converted 27 first downs on 35 rushes (77%). A big issue were teams overloading the box. This is a much bigger problem for shotgun based offenses because the mesh point largely determines what side the run will go. So not only can they bring an extra defender, they can bring one to the correct side. Our best plays therefore became ones that involved the QB.

Expect more under center work this year, if for no other reason than to make Adrian comfortable with it for QB sneaks. At both the NCAA and NFL level sneaks are so ludicrously effective that they’re the right call even if expected.

• Plus1 1

Not drinking the kool-aid, but I do not know how we are not much improved on both sides of the ball after year 2 with the S&C program.  The conditioning level should be there to run the tempo Frost wants.  Per the always accurate eye-ball test, we look to be a much more physically fit team.  We have recruited well to get the size/speed Frost wants.  Throw in year 2 in the system.  I'm ASSumng 100% buy in.  The DB's with the same coach in what feels like 20 years (actually feels that way for a lot of positions), new DL coach assisted with the Cal turnaround and says stopping the run is a priority and better depth/experience (at some not all spots) we should be improved.  

I'm planning on seeing stuff that looks like football and no strain.....

7 hours ago, Pedro G said:

Here is hoping if we still don’t quite match up against teams like Iowa and Wisconsin physically, this happens in year three, and our team speed starts taking a toll on those two opponents. Even starting next season, we may see the end of Iowa’s dominance over us, and in the coming years, we rarely see the Hawkeyes beating us. I also can see the Corn winning more than losing against the Badgers because of Nebraska’s team speed. But of course I am bias, so keep that in mind. GBR!!!

Coaching changes will catch up to Wisconsin at some point in time and they will hits one that doesn’t keep the train rolling. 

7 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

They have gone through a number of coaches. Every program eventually gets a bad coach. 

I think Paul Chryst has picked up where Gary Andersen left off. They've taken a bit of a downturn from where they were at though, but not by a lot.

2 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Sometimes it can fake a while to expose its self that the program has dropped. 

I think it's more likely to be the assistant coaches. Their offense should continue to be solid under Chryst, he knows what he's doing there. But I feel like their defense taking small steps back comes from replacing Aranda with Jim Leonhard. He'll probably develop into a good coordinator, but they threw him the keys early IMO. It'd basically be like making Ruud the DC this year, after one year as a position coach. 

Well find out more this year, but the ridiculous LB depth they had seems to be gone (and to a lesser degree DL). Maybe those guys just need the chance to prove themselves, but the defense is trending down and they need it to be excellent to contend with top 15 teams. 

6 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

I think it's more likely to be the assistant coaches. Their offense should continue to be solid under Chryst, he knows what he's doing there. But I feel like their defense taking small steps back comes from replacing Aranda with Jim Leonhard. He'll probably develop into a good coordinator, but they threw him the keys early IMO. It'd basically be like making Ruud the DC this year, after one year as a position coach. 

Well find out more this year, but the ridiculous LB depth they had seems to be gone (and to a lesser degree DL). Maybe those guys just need the chance to prove themselves, but the defense is trending down and they need it to be excellent to contend with top 15 teams. 

Yes....and at some point Chryst might not be there and the next guys offense isn’t as good....etc.