Duval's S&C - Year 2

suh_fan93

2 hours ago, cheekygeek said:

I'm sure I will take flack for it, but I'm pretty sure that black men in chains (and only black men in chains) is not a good look.  Gold chains, sure. But seriously, you couldn't have put them on ONE white guy in the photo? I'm both a photographer and a marketing guy and this is Not Good.

giphy.gif

This is one thing wrong with our society today. 

Yes, I’ve had 3 beers so I’m loose lips. But good god. GTFOOH with that nonsense. 

I mean seriously. Gtfo. 

• Thanks 1
20 minutes ago, Stumpy1 said:

Usually is when it comes to women. ;)

I don’t get the joke. Or if it’s a sexual/weight lifting joke. Maybe you can give a real reply. The players aren’t doing 1/4 squats. Most I’ve seen are close to parallel. I know you think they should go parallel, but you’re exaggerating when you say they go 1/4 of the way down or are doing a 1/4 squat. I’ve only seen one video where it was close to that and Duval replied on the tweet thread saying he should go lower. 

8 hours ago, cheekygeek said:

I'm sure I will take flack for it, but I'm pretty sure that black men in chains (and only black men in chains) is not a good look.  Gold chains, sure. But seriously, you couldn't have put them on ONE white guy in the photo? I'm both a photographer and a marketing guy and this is Not Good.

Never noticed any of that. 

16 hours ago, Stumpy1 said:

Its a little dig to be honest.  I know his reasoning for them but would like to see them do a$$ to grass also.  I don't care for the videos that show our guys doing 800 lb squats and they only go down a 1/4 of the way and then post saying it.  Thats not a true 800 lb squat in my eyes.   

What is the reasoning for these 1/4 squats?  I believe you once called them sprinter squats?  Personally I think they'd be better off reducing the weight and going to parallel.  

26 minutes ago, 4skers89 said:

What is the reasoning for these 1/4 squats?  I believe you once called them sprinter squats?  Personally I think they'd be better off reducing the weight and going to parallel.  

It doesn’t matter what the reasoning for a 1/4 squat is is because there’s only been 1 example posted where they were close to doing a 1/4 squat and Duval admitted the player didn’t squat deep enough.

As I said, it’s an exaggeration.

36 minutes ago, 4skers89 said:

They aren't doing 1/4 squats, just stopping a little too early on parallel.

Here is a reason for doing 1/4 squats:

A primary reason is more practical strength focus. Football players spend almost no time engaged with other players in a parallel (or lower) squat position. Using full range movements sound great but the weaker links in the chain will never be strong enough to handle the weights that the stronger portions can. Hence a reason for not being too strict with parallel. The potential trade-off is muscle imbalance. Usually this shows up in injuries across the team in obvious patterns, i.e. the Pelini era and hamstrings. As we do not know everything that Duval is doing, and why, to offset this it is just grumpy speculation. 

The safe answer is the 'old school' answer. Sacrifice maximal performance to limit injuries. That is a great answer for high school. However, in a cutting edge college training environment you will always be behind. 

• Plus1 3
8 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

It doesn’t matter what the reasoning for a 1/4 squat is is because there’s only been 1 example posted where they were close to doing a 1/4 squat and Duval admitted the player didn’t squat deep enough.

As I said, it’s an exaggeration.

I would call them 3/4 squat but it depends on one's nomenclature.  Maybe 1/4 squat refers to within 1/4 of the way to parallel.  Stumpy was either exaggerating or that is what he calls them but to avoid confusion I used his terminology.

18 hours ago, Stumpy1 said:

Its a little dig to be honest.  I know his reasoning for them but would like to see them do a$$ to grass also.  I don't care for the videos that show our guys doing 800 lb squats and they only go down a 1/4 of the way and then post saying it.  That's not a true 800 lb squat in my eyes.   

I Agree with you. And more of the muscle fibers are recruited with depth. The stance that a defensive linemen attacks from is usually not as deep as an offensive linemen so training that range of motion at ultra-heavy weight still is beneficial but I agree with you for sure.

14 minutes ago, zeWilbur said:

They aren't doing 1/4 squats, just stopping a little too early on parallel.

Here is a reason for doing 1/4 squats:

A primary reason is more practical strength focus. Football players spend almost no time engaged with other players in a parallel (or lower) squat position. Using full range movements sound great but the weaker links in the chain will never be strong enough to handle the weights that the stronger portions can. Hence a reason for not being too strict with parallel. The potential trade-off is muscle imbalance. Usually this shows up in injuries across the team in obvious patterns, i.e. the Pelini era and hamstrings. As we do not know everything that Duval is doing, and why, to offset this it is just grumpy speculation. 

The safe answer is the 'old school' answer. Sacrifice maximal performance to limit injuries. That is a great answer for high school. However, in a cutting edge college training environment you will always be behind. 

I was going to say it seems like hamstrings could get tight over time since going to parallel or lower helps to stretch them.  Then I considered that if they haven't been lifting much in the past it could be that they aren't able to get to parallel.  Your explanation makes sense as to what they might be trying to accomplish and maybe Duval has some way to offset the potential for muscle imbalance.  I believe Stumpy's point might have been that we shouldn't get too excited about the weight these guys are lifting since they couldn't lift that much if they were doing strict squats.

Full depth, thighs parallel to ground, knees and thighs breaking 90 degrees, there are several schools of thought with good arguments. However, most of the college football players squatting huge weight I've seen aren't going full depth. I think it's safe to say that Nebraska is comparable to those schools on their technique.

6 minutes ago, WyoHusker56 said:

Full depth, thighs parallel to ground, knees and thighs breaking 90 degrees, there are several schools of thought with good arguments. However, most of the college football players squatting huge weight I've seen aren't going full depth. I think it's safe to say that Nebraska is comparable to those schools on their technique.

Agree with this. But I also agree with Stumpy's original comment that unless you go at least roughly parallel, you can't count it.   :)

• Plus1 3