Brexit Plan Gets Drubbed in Parliament, Teresa May now having to defend against "No Confidence" vote

To take a break from all things Donald, Mitch, and the rest of their comrades, I figured I'd look into how the conservative government in the U.K. is getting along since the Brexit vote, as the deadline to strike a deal with the EU is coming up, an--oh holy s***, Teresa May is almost as incompetent as Trump:

https://www.dw.com/en/uk-parliament-rejects-brexit-plan/a-47093072

British Prime Minister Theresa May's government suffered a devastating defeat in the House of Commons Tuesday evening, the largest in Britain's democratic era. She lost by 230 votes as the tally came in 432 members in favor to 202 against her EU withdrawal agreement.

That wasn't just a sound trouncing of her Brexit plan--that was *THE* biggest 'no' vote in the House of Commons since the end of the first World War. 

Hot on the heels of this historic rejection, Jeremy Corbyn (Labour party) has tabled (means the opposite there than here) a motion of No Confidence in May. Should the No Confidence vote pass, the Parliament has until the end of January to structure a new government and Prime Minister. If that doesn't happen, Parliament dissolves January 31st, and elections are held the beginning of March (at the earliest). 

All the while, the UK has until March 29th to strike a deal with the EU on their Brexit plan, or they have to:

a) leave the EU cold turkey and negotiate each and every individual thing piecemeal from scratch, from immigration, to trade/tariff agreements, to telecommunications, travel...so on and so forth.

b) ask the EU for an extension on their Article 50 declaration, thus kicking the can down the road but giving the new government time to reach a deal.

c) ask the EU to rescind the UK's Article 50 declaration, which the EU may or may not accept (depending on how many bridges May's government has burned with her incompetence and how the new government looks).  

Long story short...it's chaos in the U.K. right now. Even if May survives (currently 60/40 odds she doesn't), there's no reasonable expectation that she'll be able to get a "Plan B" together that would pass muster in the House of Commons *AND* be looked upon favorably by the EU. 

And if/when the UK leaves the EU, expect the markets to take a big tumble until it all gets sorted out...anything European or from the U.K. is going to take a hit, and it may be a long time before they rebound. 

• Thanks 1

Seems like the best thing for the U.K.'s economy is to stay in the E.U. They very narrowly voted to leave on the basis of a misleading campaign featuring rampant anti-immigrant sentiment and some help from our friends in Russia.

May seems like she's toast, though. This vote yesterday was the culmination of months and months of negotiations and work with the E.U. to try to secure her country the best possible deal since it seemed like there was no coming back from the eventuality of leaving - and it got absolutely crushed.

It may well cost her her job, and potentially re-open the door to remaining in the E.U. Labour, the party who would ordinarily be in favor of such a move, is now campaigning flat out to consider another referendum or just stay in the E.U.

1 minute ago, Clifford Franklin said:

Fresh off the wire - it looks like May very narrowly survived her confidence vote today, meaning she'll remain as PM.

Amazing that her historic incompetence is still not enough for change. Getting likely that the UK gets booted from the EU and that will finally be the end of May and the conservative government.

25 minutes ago, Clifford Franklin said:

Seems like the best thing for the U.K.'s economy is to stay in the E.U. They very narrowly voted to leave on the basis of a misleading campaign featuring rampant anti-immigrant sentiment and some help from our friends in Russia.

May seems like she's toast, though. This vote yesterday was the culmination of months and months of negotiations and work with the E.U. to try to secure her country the best possible deal since it seemed like there was no coming back from the eventuality of leaving - and it got absolutely crushed.

It may well cost her her job, and potentially re-open the door to remaining in the E.U. Labour, the party who would ordinarily be in favor of such a move, is now campaigning flat out to consider another referendum or just stay in the E.U.

Misleading? How so? I have a friend that lives in the UK, and she says the heavy flow of immigration is crippling just about every government related program the UK has. And then there is the influx of Sharia Law safe zones, especially in England. Something like 80% of the Muslims in the country live off the government.... That country is going to hell quicker than this one.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

Misleading? How so? I have a friend that lives in the UK, and she says the heavy flow of immigration is crippling just about every government related program the UK has. And then there is the influx of Sharia Law safe zones, especially in England. That country is going to hell quicker than this one.

Are these real?  I thought they were debunked a while ago...

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/uk-no-go-zones-muslim-sharia-law-third-poll-hope-not-hate-far-right-economic-inequality-a8588226.html

• Thanks 2
13 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

Misleading? How so? I have a friend that lives in the UK, and she says the heavy flow of immigration is crippling just about every government related program the UK has. And then there is the influx of Sharia Law safe zones, especially in England. Something like 80% of the Muslims in the country live off the government.... That country is going to hell quicker than this one.

https://fullfact.org/news/muslims-uk-viral-poster-factchecked/

Your 80% number is false and doesn't account for the fact Muslims are discriminated against when it comes to finding employment. 

I think a good point to remember is that there are people in all nations that are susceptible to "fake news"....

I'm sure there are plenty of people in England that are sure tens of thousands of Americans are being raped and murdered by drug-dealing Mexicans because their American, Infowars watching, friend told them about it...

• Plus1 1

12 minutes ago, funhusker said:

There are religious communities "that prefer to police themselves", as the local police departments have put it. The friend of mine I mentioned has said that there are places in London that the police just don't go. Out of fear of being accused of discrimination, racist, etc.

9 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Your 80% number is false and doesn't account for the fact Muslims are discriminated against when it comes to finding employment. 

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/4411913/just-one-in-five-muslims-are-in-work-as-report-finds-they-are-held-back-by-racism/

This article claims racism to be the reasoning as well.

1 minute ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

There are religious communities "that prefer to police themselves", as the local police departments have put it. The friend of mine I mentioned has said that there are places in London that the police just don't go. Out of fear of being accused of discrimination, racist, etc.

Do the Police volunteer this information?  Is she a police officer?  How does she know?

The article I posted says this is false.  Police have cracked down on the Muslims that tried to "police themselves" and Muslim leaders have publicly condemned the "self policers (sp)"  :dunno

1 minute ago, funhusker said:

Do the Police volunteer this information?  Is she a police officer?  How does she know?

The article I posted says this is false.  Police have cracked down on the Muslims that tried to "police themselves" and Muslim leaders have publicly condemned the "self policers (sp)"  :dunno

If they had to crack down on them policing themselves, than it must have a been an issue. 

The quote from a police department was in  this link:

3 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

If they had to crack down on them policing themselves, than it must have a been an issue. 

The quote from a police department was in  this link:

I guess.... It also shows that there are no places in London that Police won't go if they are called to enforce the laws of London and/or England.  Which is the opposite of what your friend told you.  Maybe I'm misunderstanding....

14 minutes ago, funhusker said:

I guess.... It also shows that there are no places in London that Police won't go if they are called to enforce the laws of London and/or England.  Which is the opposite of what your friend told you.  Maybe I'm misunderstanding....

I think her point was that the presence of Sharia law has at least dulled the effectiveness of the local police in those areas.

26 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

Not being full time employed and living off the government are two very different things. Especially considering by that measure 65% of the rest of the population is in the same situation.