OT Nolan Rucci [Wisconsin - Signed LOI]

Mavric

HuskerBoard Predictor  

11 members have voted

1. 1. To Which School Will Rucci Commit?

• Nebraska
    • Penn State
    • Michigan
    • Wisconsin

This poll is closed to new votes

• Mavric changed the title to OT Nolan Rucci [Wisconsin Commit]
8 minutes ago, BigRedN said:

Wisky continues to bring in top OL talent.  Since our trenches in the DL seem to be our toughest area to recruit and develop ... I'm curious how we reverse the trend against their power running game.

I foresee s DT or 2 coming in to start bldg this spot.   This next season (???) will be a challenge and if the defense can get a big jump from DE/LBs generally, our DTs will not seem quite so bad.  The coaching is there but we have lacked the big difference makers. The talent has not been stellar but it has been adequate.  Last couple years its been the LBers imo that were only fair at times.  They stop the run and help contain those TEs from ripping off big gashes at those critical times.  We are getting better and will improve over the years.  Have faith. The coaches we have on D know their stuff.  

13 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

I foresee s DT or 2 coming in to start bldg this spot.   This next season (???) will be a challenge and if the defense can get a big jump from DE/LBs generally, our DTs will not seem quite so bad.  The coaching is there but we have lacked the big difference makers. The talent has not been stellar but it has been adequate.  Last couple years its been the LBers imo that were only fair at times.  They stop the run and help contain those TEs from ripping off big gashes at those critical times.  We are getting better and will improve over the years.  Have faith. The coaches we have on D know their stuff.  

Great get for them. Didn't hurt they are one of the best in developing OL, but even more that he has a brother already on campus so he knew everything he needed to know(PSU would've had NR had they taken his brother).

Their class is perfectly situated to deal with COVID, and couldn' t have gone any smoother. They have pre existing relationships with many of their top commits (Or they are in state or close by), where the reliance on visits does not impact them like other places. I'll even say their class likely doesn't look much different if everything was business as usual.

On paper this is a massive get, for us it would be massive on paper and in actuality. They routinely take 3 and 4* kids and make them good to great OL in 4-5 years. With Rucci they adding a naturally, immensely talented OL that may only be there 3-4 years instead of 4-5. Nebraska just needs to focus on adding girth up front and speed in the back 7. 

Just my .01

1 minute ago, Treand3 said:

Great get for them. Didn't hurt they are one of the best in developing OL, but even more that he has a brother already on campus so he knew everything he needed to know(PSU would've had NR had they taken his brother).

Their class is perfectly situated to deal with COVID, and couldn' t have gone any smoother. They have pre existing relationships with many of their top commits (Or they are in state or close by), where the reliance on visits does not impact them like other places. I'll even say their class likely doesn't look much different if everything was business as usual.

On paper this is a massive get, for us it would be massive on paper and in actuality. They routinely take 3 and 4* kids and make them good to great OL in 4-5 years. With Rucci they adding a naturally, immensely talented OL that may only be there 3-4 years instead of 4-5. Nebraska just needs to focus on adding girth up front and speed in the back 7. 

Just my .01

Agreed.  Wiscy does have very solid O lines.  We are getting better after years of mediocre performance.  Time will tell.  We will not over power Wiscy for a long time.  We dont need to.  If we get near them in quality we will be just fine.  The trenches need to be good, and will be, but we will beat them with the rest of the team being better.  imo.  The pipeline is returning, over time as it cant be slapped together in a couple seasons.  

10 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Agreed.  Wiscy does have very solid O lines.  We are getting better after years of mediocre performance.  Time will tell.  We will not over power Wiscy for a long time.  We dont need to.  If we get near them in quality we will be just fine.  The trenches need to be good, and will be, but we will beat them with the rest of the team being better.  imo.  The pipeline is returning, over time as it cant be slapped together in a couple seasons.  

I really like the work Austin is doing, but it will go unnoticed as his kids aren't high in recruiting rankings, with the exception of a few. People will notice once things come to fruition, but they have to actually do, but I'm confident.

You're right we don't need to over power Wisconsin, it's a losing battle if you try, and it's exactly what they want. You build a defense that is stout enough up front with DL that can disrupt their blocking schemes and alter the LOS. With fast LBs and DB to make tackles. Conversely, your offense needs to be efficient with the ability to snap off chunk plays so that the Bagders have keep pace on offense and not shorten the game.

56 minutes ago, Treand3 said:

I really like the work Austin is doing, but it will go unnoticed as his kids aren't high in recruiting rankings, with the exception of a few. People will notice once things come to fruition, but they have to actually do, but I'm confident.

You're right we don't need to over power Wisconsin, it's a losing battle if you try, and it's exactly what they want. You build a defense that is stout enough up front with DL that can disrupt their blocking schemes and alter the LOS. With fast LBs and DB to make tackles. Conversely, your offense needs to be efficient with the ability to snap off chunk plays so that the Bagders have keep pace on offense and not shorten the game.

Agree mostly but I am content with getting first downs and sustaining scoring drives. Chunk yards are nice but not so important as first downs.  I know people like those big plays but the best news is when the refs move those chains.  We need to be able to score TDs when we get inside the redzone.  If we fail, take the 3 and keep field position under control.  Make teams go 80 and you have a chance in most games. 

Mike Riley loved to talk about chunk yards but didnt win enough for many reasons but mainly, imo, because he tried to be OK in everything and not really good at anything offensively.  

Frost wants to be multiple and diverse offensively so far.  I tend to think he really hopes to get much stronger in the run game but who knows?   I am sure he would say its still not where he intends his offense to be.  Its early yet so I will withhold judgement on Frost’s offense.  Its not what I prefer but I am very patient because I know he knows how to win football games. 

42 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Agree mostly but I am content with getting first downs and sustaining scoring drives. Chunk yards are nice but not so important as first downs.  I know people like those big plays but the best news is when the refs move those chains.  We need to be able to score TDs when we get inside the redzone.  If we fail, take the 3 and keep field position under control.  Make teams go 80 and you have a chance in most games. 

Mike Riley loved to talk about chunk yards but didnt win enough for many reasons but mainly, imo, because he tried to be OK in everything and not really good at anything offensively.  

Frost wants to be multiple and diverse offensively so far.  I tend to think he really hopes to get much stronger in the run game but who knows?   I am sure he would say its still not where he intends his offense to be.  Its early yet so I will withhold judgement on Frost’s offense.  Its not what I prefer but I am very patient because I know he knows how to win football games. 

I do too but when you look at Leonhard's defense they are the epitome of keeping everything in front and not allowing the big play. Look at their games against OSU. When the Buckeyes have made their moves against their defense they have been explosive, quick strikes plays.

9 minutes ago, Treand3 said:

I do too but when you look at Leonhard's defense they are the epitome of keeping everything in front and not allowing the big play. Look at their games against OSU. When the Buckeyes have made their moves against their defense they have been explosive, quick strikes plays.

If our WRs block much better, there will be more plays with gains of 6 to 15 yards (chunk yards to me).  Plays over 15 I put in the big play range.   Actually, with better perimeter blocking, the inside the tackle runs will grow by 2 yards a carry and become exactly what we all want.  It will make defending us much harder because those swing passes and quick hits to Wandale will make the LBs and Safeties play further back thus giving our RBs a lot more chances to pop some chunks up the middle or cut outside and use those blocks to get around the corner with some steam.  

Enjoyed this discussion @84HuskerLaw and @Treand3.

What I find fascinating is that last year they added Brown, a 5* at OL and Tippmann, another 4* at OL.  As you guys have stated, they already have the "pipeline" built ... but now they are really adding in a couple of real studs in the trenches every year.  Since it takes longer for the OL and DL guys on average to develop, when the competition is getting 5* type guys who don't need that extra year ... well, even if you are developing guys you are still a year behind. 

I'm not "negative Nancy" here in my words or mind ... it's just the facts of what Wisky is doing.  We are going to have to out work Wisky and come up with all of what you guys are talking about in your posts ... because Wisky already is beating us in recruitment at OL and I would put their development/pipeline in the "A" category.  Honestly, I don't know where I would put ours ... perhaps C+ to a B- [the next two years we will know for sure].  In any event, Wisky isn't going away ... so we are going to know soon enough by the win/loss column.  

2 minutes ago, BigRedN said:

What I find fascinating is that last year they added Brown, a 5* at OL and Tippmann, another 4* at OL.  As you guys have stated, they already have the "pipeline" built ... but now they are really adding in a couple of real studs in the trenches every year.  Since it takes longer for the OL and DL guys on average to develop, when the competition is getting 5* type guys who don't need that extra year ... well, even if you are developing guys you are still a year behind. 

I'm not "negative Nancy" here in my words or mind ... it's just the facts of what Wisky is doing.  We are going to have to out work Wisky and come up with all of what you guys are talking about in your posts ... because Wisky already is beating us in recruitment at OL and I would put their development/pipeline in the "A" category.  Honestly, I don't know where I would put ours ... perhaps C+ to a B- [the next two years we will know for sure].  In any event, Wisky isn't going away ... so we are going to know soon enough by the win/loss column.  

Yes, I agree but I may not give Wiscy an A (B+ maybe). NU has been maybe a D+/c- over past 7 years roughly.  If I had to grade us the last 2 seasons, maybe a C+ in 2018 and D+ last year but the serious drop was Center play and I think that changes markedly.  I’d venture a guess for year 3 to be a B-    Harder to forecast 2021 without knowing who returns or plays before that.  

38 minutes ago, BigRedN said:

Interested yes, fascinated nope...because it's their bread and butter(Can put LB there as well). I also think talent evaluators have given Wisconsin kids more respect lately and you're seeing it in their in state talent.

I just feel it's less about out working Wisconsin but rather maximizing what we have/get. Yes they've been better at developing players but can you honestly say we got any in notable amounts at any time in the B1G from Pelini or Riley(Frost is still TBD). Any program with strong development program would've outshined Nebraska. We've been one of the most unstable programs in the conference.

Where they are now recruiting wise, though I think they still have a ways to go(yes we do too), has been the result of 10-2(Division title) - Undefeated Regular season (Division title) and 10-2(Division title). I'd debate with anyone if Nebraska had success like that, we'd be firmly in the top 15 flirting with the top 10, and we'd have OSUs attention. I can tell you right now, OSU is hardly batting an eye at what they are doing.

Nebraska's biggest hurdle has always been Nebraska imho.

• Plus1 1
  • Mavric changed the title to OT Nolan Rucci [Wisconsin - Signed LOI]