How long will it last?  

14 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

We don't have a shutdown topic, so I thought I'd make one.

I don't think Trump is going to give, so the Republicans will have to override the veto. Hard to imagine that happening either, but the elections are coming up. Right now they're refusing to do the right thing because their Trump supporting constituents would get upset if they overruled him. But I think they're going to lose more votes than they keep by doing nothing and hopefully they'll realize that soon.

As for the Democrats, I don't really want them to cave unless they get something out of it. The wall is a stupid idea, and they shouldn't give in because our president is a child who couldn't get Mexico to pay for his dumb idea.

• Plus1 3

Trump may start calling  various non-essential services as essential.  Thus giving him an 'out' while not backing down.   TSA, Food Inspectors, etc may all of a sudden be reclassified as essential.   We may end up on day 123 with one govt employee not getting paid - the guy who counts snail darters.  But Trump can still say he is still not backing down until he gets his wall.

27 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

Trump may start calling  various non-essential services as essential.  Thus giving him an 'out' while not backing down.   TSA, Food Inspectors, etc may all of a sudden be reclassified as essential.   We may end up on day 123 with one govt employee not getting paid - the guy who counts snail darters.  But Trump can still say he is still not backing down until he gets his wall.

Since Trump only dug in his heels because the right-wing media/talking-heads bullied him into it, the real question is whether the right-wing will say Trump isn't backing down.

Trump can make all those non-essentials essential, but if they strike, he'll either have to fire them and hire new people (who won't get paid) or he'll have to cave.

If TSA goes on strike, Trump is screwed. Or, as soon as some essential government function is missing and it affects the regular citizens, he's screwed.

A form of government where one or two people can shut down the entire thing because they want a specific piece of legislation approved is not a good form of government. A shutdown should require more approval than one man's.

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, knapplc said:

Trump can make all those non-essentials essential, but if they strike, he'll either have to fire them and hire new people (who won't get paid) or he'll have to cave.

If TSA goes on strike, Trump is screwed. Or, as soon as some essential government function is missing and it affects the regular citizens, he's screwed.

A form of government where one or two people can shut down the entire thing because they want a specific piece of legislation approved is not a good form of government. A shutdown should require more approval than one man's.

Congress can override his veto. He can’t shut the government down unless they go along with it. 

• Plus1 3
4 minutes ago, Clifford Franklin said:

Just throwing this out there - these are the only numbers that matter to Trump. That and his bank account. If these continue to worsen I would think he could begin to get more desperate. We'll see how long those around him can convince him they're fake news to protect him from himself.

I find the graph very interesting got watch.  One interesting thing they do is down below the graph, they compare Trump's graph with past Presidents.

Easily the least popular President in modern times.

I saw something the other day that is so true.  One major reason why Trump has not been able to renegotiate anything is because nobody trusts him.

So, now we have that he discontinued these programs like DACA immediately when he took office.  He then turns around and claims the Dems don't care about DACA people because they won't do anything to protect them.  He has not offered anything to protect them.  NOW....he's in day 31 of the shut down, his popularity is going in the tank with anyone who isn't a blind Trumpee.  He then comes out and makes an offer to give DACA people three year of protection if he gets his 51 billion for the wall.

Now...hmmmm....three years.  Gee.....isn't it interesting that the time runs out BEFORE he would leave office (if he gets reelected).  

The guy can not be trusted to feed a cat....let alone do something to help other people.

• Plus1 1