Going Gluten Free, need help

How strict is your diet?  Gluten is in grains - wheat, barley, rye.  Oats might be OK.  

I have a mild form of gluten intolerance - I can have a slice of pizza once in awhile, open faced sandwich, etc. so I am lucky. My starches of choice are potatoes and rice.

If you are strict the problem is gluten in small amounts is a thickener - its in ketsup, for Pete's sake.

Twenty years ago I tried gluten free substitutes for bread - tasted like cardboard but I think it has improved since then.

Good luck

There are a LOT more gluten free options than there were a few years ago. My suggestion is to get a gluten-free cookbook and just try recipes to see what you like.

While it's not a gluten issue, my wife is allergic to corn and soy, so we started making all of our meals from scratch. The Joy of Cooking is the best cookbook for making everything from scratch if you go that route. The internet can also help you find gluten-free alternative ingredients for recipes that you already like.

2 hours ago, huKSer said:

How strict is your diet?  Gluten is in grains - wheat, barley, rye.  Oats might be OK.  

I have a mild form of gluten intolerance - I can have a slice of pizza once in awhile, open faced sandwich, etc. so I am lucky. My starches of choice are potatoes and rice.

If you are strict the problem is gluten in small amounts is a thickener - its in ketsup, for Pete's sake.

Twenty years ago I tried gluten free substitutes for bread - tasted like cardboard but I think it has improved since then.

Good luck

This is definitely a fact.  HyVee's healthy food section has quite a bit of gluten-free options.  

We are going to go strict for a couple of months.  Hopefully, we'll build a bit of a tolerance to gluten in that time.  Then we can enjoy a cheat day every now & then. 

My original thought was to eat like a caveman.  Lean meats, fruits and veggies.