Worst Call Ever In A Husker Game

Agree with most of the posts in this thread: The KSU facemask has always been the most obvious to me since everyone in the entire stadium saw it. I mean, some things can be questionable judgment calls, but it could not be more obvious. Inexplicable not to call that. I truly felt like NU would have scored on that drive and won the game. 

Agree on PSU and FSU being most costly: If replay existed in 1982 and 1993 NU would have two more national championships.

The entire TAMU game in totality was the biggest hose job I've ever seen. The other bad calls can be attributed to refs making stupid mistakes. But that TAMU game was a travesty that cannot have been unintentional.

• Plus1 5

5 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

No doubt there have been a handful of overly obvious bad calls but the one that cost us the most has to be the 82 Penn St out of bounds catch that led directly to them winning. That was our only loss and PSU ended up #1.

That's why I had no sympathy for them when they were crying about missing out on the National Championship in 1994.  Also, it was because their lame conference (yes, I called the Big Ten lame) put the Rose Bowl over the National Championship game in the old Bowl Alliance.

• Plus1 1
13 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

No doubt there have been a handful of overly obvious bad calls but the one that cost us the most has to be the 82 Penn St out of bounds catch that led directly to them winning. That was our only loss and PSU ended up #1.

Yep...this was instantly what I thought of when I read the title to this thread.  Sure, there was the phantom block in the back against FSU.  But, still, the PSU catch (that wasn't) remains the single one play that prevented us from winning an NC.

2 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

These might not be the "worst" calls in terms of blatant bad calls, but these were the costliest to NU in my opinion.

1)  Penn State's 4th down catch in 1982 in Happy Valley.  He was a yard out of bounds when he caught the ball inside the 5 yard line.  The game-winning TD also came on a trapped pass.  Gave NU it's only loss that season, and Penn State won the National Championship.

2)  Phantom clip call against Nebraska which wiped out a Corey Dixon punt return TD in the 1994 Orange Bowl against Florida State.

3)  Refs missing William Floyd's fumble at the goal line in the same game as #2.  I guess it was a close call, but it gave FSU a TD, which they didn't earn.

Sorry for the poor video quality, but this is the only thing I could find on YouTube.

Those were my top 3 as well - cost Tom 2 NC.  The 82 team overall was a better team than the scoring explosion team of 83. 

• Plus1 1