Roundball Shaman

Worst Call Ever In A Husker Game

After watching the utter fiasco of officiating that went against the Saints in the recent conference title game this got me wondering. What was the worst officiating call you ever saw that went against the Huskers? What's the call that cost the Huskers the most? What's the call that you still just can't forget all these years later?

• Plus1 1

Just now, Roundball Shaman said:

After watching the utter fiasco of officiating that went against the Saints in the recent conference title game this got me wondering. What was the worst officiating call you ever saw that went against the Huskers? What's the call that cost the Huskers the most? What's the call that you still just can't forget all these years later?

The "targeting" call on Nate Gerry 

• Plus1 3

These might not be the "worst" calls in terms of blatant bad calls, but these were the costliest to NU in my opinion.

1)  Penn State's 4th down catch in 1982 in Happy Valley.  He was a yard out of bounds when he caught the ball inside the 5 yard line.  The game-winning TD also came on a trapped pass.  Gave NU it's only loss that season, and Penn State won the National Championship.

2)  Phantom clip call against Nebraska which wiped out a Corey Dixon punt return TD in the 1994 Orange Bowl against Florida State.

3)  Refs missing William Floyd's fumble at the goal line in the same game as #2.  I guess it was a close call, but it gave FSU a TD, which they didn't earn.

Sorry for the poor video quality, but this is the only thing I could find on YouTube.

• Plus1 2

32 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

It was more of a no call.  Much like the no call PI for the Saints.  The no call face mask by K-State on Eric Crouch.

To be fair, his head didn’t go all the way around.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 3

22 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

These might not be the "worst" calls in terms of blatant bad calls, but these were the costliest to NU in my opinion.

1)  Penn State's 4th down catch in 1982 in Happy Valley.  He was a yard out of bounds when he caught the ball inside the 5 yard line.  The game-winning TD also came on a trapped pass.  Gave NU it's only loss that season, and Penn State won the National Championship.

2)  Phantom clip call against Nebraska which wiped out a Corey Dixon punt return TD in the 1994 Orange Bowl against Florida State.

3)  Refs missing William Floyd's fumble at the goal line in the same game as #2.  I guess it was a close call, but it gave FSU a TD, which they didn't earn.

This and the KSU face mask on Crouch that wasn't called.

• Plus1 2

The Crouch facemask against KSU made for some amazing photos.

NqKHyHY.jpg

QQW88.jpg

• Plus1 6

Agree with most of the posts in this thread: The KSU facemask has always been the most obvious to me since everyone in the entire stadium saw it. I mean, some things can be questionable judgment calls, but it could not be more obvious. Inexplicable not to call that. I truly felt like NU would have scored on that drive and won the game. 

Agree on PSU and FSU being most costly: If replay existed in 1982 and 1993 NU would have two more national championships.

The entire TAMU game in totality was the biggest hose job I've ever seen. The other bad calls can be attributed to refs making stupid mistakes. But that TAMU game was a travesty that cannot have been unintentional.

• Plus1 5

No doubt there have been a handful of overly obvious bad calls but the one that cost us the most has to be the 82 Penn St out of bounds catch that led directly to them winning. That was our only loss and PSU ended up #1.

• Plus1 2

5 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

No doubt there have been a handful of overly obvious bad calls but the one that cost us the most has to be the 82 Penn St out of bounds catch that led directly to them winning. That was our only loss and PSU ended up #1.

That's why I had no sympathy for them when they were crying about missing out on the National Championship in 1994.  Also, it was because their lame conference (yes, I called the Big Ten lame) put the Rose Bowl over the National Championship game in the old Bowl Alliance.

• Plus1 1

13 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Yep...this was instantly what I thought of when I read the title to this thread.  Sure, there was the phantom block in the back against FSU.  But, still, the PSU catch (that wasn't) remains the single one play that prevented us from winning an NC.

2 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Sorry for the poor video quality, but this is the only thing I could find on YouTube.

Those were my top 3 as well - cost Tom 2 NC.  The 82 team overall was a better team than the scoring explosion team of 83. 

• Plus1 1

2 hours ago, Jason Sitoke said:

I believe this was the last known sighting of defense in the Big XII

Remember the scene in Remember the Titan's movie  -- reminds me of the A&M Game.  But the Titans had a better outcome

Thanks for the memories Mike Riley, you worthless bag of sprinkled dog doodoo.

• Plus1 3

7 hours ago, GSG said:

I believe if I had been Pelini in the 4th quarter of this game I would have instructed one of our D linemen to pile drive that white hat SOB into the ground. Every time I've seen him on tv since then my blood pressure goes up about 30 points.

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I developed Tourette's Syndrome during the 1994 Orange Bowl.  Cussed out loud while reading your post lol

82 Penn State game easily.  They win the national championship that year and our only loss of the year is of course to them.  Those refs were paid.  

• Plus1 1

8 hours ago, Huskinator said:

When Kirk says it’s questionable, it’s questionable. Man hates Nebraska. 

This year,  before the northwestern game,  kirk was picking Big Red to go bowling.  I'm not sold he hates nebraska.  

• Plus1 2

20 hours ago, Ulty said:

Agree with most of the posts in this thread: The KSU facemask has always been the most obvious to me since everyone in the entire stadium saw it. I mean, some things can be questionable judgment calls, but it could not be more obvious. Inexplicable not to call that. I truly felt like NU would have scored on that drive and won the game. 

Agree on PSU and FSU being most costly: If replay existed in 1982 and 1993 NU would have two more national championships.

The entire TAMU game in totality was the biggest hose job I've ever seen. The other bad calls can be attributed to refs making stupid mistakes. But that TAMU game was a travesty that cannot have been unintentional.

Was there.Was pissed!

22 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Penn State's 4th down catch in 1982 in Happy Valley.  He was a yard out of bounds when he caught the ball inside the 5 yard line.  The game-winning TD also came on a trapped pass.  Gave NU it's only loss that season, and Penn State won the National Championship.

It's the PSU "catch" out of bounds and nothing else is even close.

• Plus1 3
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, StPaulHusker said:

Kirk Herbstreit does not hate Nebraska football.  I would suspect he's not a fan of our fan base.  But he is very, very realistic in how he sees Nebraska football.  

ding ding ding. He's about as objective as they come. I really wish the kirk hates Nebraska narrative would die. He spoke highly of frost and even had us as one of his surprise teams prior to the beginning of the season. Some people need to learn how to let a manufactured argument go.

• Plus1 6

A lot have posted other bad calls on here that I had in mind but here’s another one from the 10’ season. 

AK from Iowa State trying to rip Burkheads head off. Legate from Nebraska saw the dirty play and threw AK off of Burkhead and the officials flagged Nebraska instead of AK from Iowa State. 

Boy the officals were not kind to Nebraska in 10’

https://youtu.be/FKpdcxtigEY

• Plus1 1

23 hours ago, JoeHuskers! said:

Surprised to see no one mention the 2009 Big12 championship game 

I agree, Can we pick an entire game to add to the list !!!!

• Plus1 1

The Penn State play still makes my blood pressure shoot up even after all these years. And I was just a kid then.

That the Gill-Rozier-Fryar era never won a title is always my biggest lament as a Husker fan. Those were the first teams I saw and until 93-97 there were none better.

The Kenny Bell block is the worst one I think I've seen. 

Close runner up would be the entire offensive game plan in the 09 Texas game.  

2 minutes ago, wiuhusker said:

Close runner up would be the entire offensive game plan in the 09 Texas game.  

You have to actually have an Offense to have an Offensive Game Plan.  The 2009 squad did not have that, otherwise my name would be 2009 Redux in honor of the Natty we won under Bo Pelini who would be entering his 11th year as coach of the Huskers this season.

• Plus1 2

19 hours ago, southernoregonhusker said:

I thought it was the right call.  Had it not hit that damn handrail.

Watching that play, IF McCoy isn’t running for his life from Suh, I think he might have ran more time off the clock, pass goes out of bounds and it’s truly game over.  Can’t be mad at Suh for trying to kill a man!

48 minutes ago, Redux said:

You have to actually have an Offense to have an Offensive Game Plan.  

This is also very true. It's truly amazing we won some of the games we did that year with the offense we trotted out on the field. 

48 minutes ago, OTHusker said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3X6neDRuvLk

Easy 1978 OU/NU the kickoff hit where ball was clearly fumbled- they didnt call it-

I think everyone probably forgets about this one because they won the game. In an alternate universe where Oklahoma wins, it might go down in lore as the worst of the lot.

I suppose it is easier to remember the ones that cost you national championships. And I can say confidently that two have been stolen.

• Plus1 1

Worst call, for me, has to be the Frost's pass that was kicked up in the air and caught by Davison.  

I was at that game and still never understood why there was not more outcry.  It was called a deflection but it was a clear kick to me.

We not only came back and won that game but also a Natty.

I was not been able to complain about bad calls for quite a few years after that.  :-)

PS.  I realize that the focus of this post are the worst calls that went against us (that's implied) ... but still, always been grateful for this one that went out way.

• Confused 2
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Upvote 1