Discontent in the AD?

Cdog923

On 1/23/2019 at 1:57 PM, Moiraine said:

More seriously, I assumed Moos would take a wait and see approach with Miles. His seat has been warm since Moos got here. If they don’t stop losing games like the Rutgers game, he should probably be fired.

My understanding is that the unofficial threshold to keep his job was for Miles to make the NCAA Tourney and win a game. If neither happen, especially with the talent on the roster, he's gone. 

Is that not the case any longer?

13 minutes ago, hskrfan4life said:

So after basketball should we focus on baseball?

An emphatic yes. Our program was one of few in the nation (~15) when DVH was here that actually made money. Since we picked the wrong assistant coach post-DVH, we're spiraling the drain and pissed away all that DVH helped build. 

I really don't see Erstad taking us to the next step in getting back to regular post-season play and CWS appearances. Maybe he'll get it figured out this season, but if not, Moos probably needs to cut bait sooner rather than later. 

• Plus1 2
6 minutes ago, VectorVictor said:

My understanding is that the unofficial threshold to keep his job was for Miles to make the NCAA Tourney and win a game. If neither happen, especially with the talent on the roster, he's gone. 

Is that not the case any longer?

An emphatic yes. Our program was one of few in the nation (~15) when DVH was here that actually made money. Since we picked the wrong assistant coach post-DVH, we're spiraling the drain and pissed away all that DVH helped build. 

I really don't see Erstad taking us to the next step in getting back to regular post-season play and CWS appearances. Maybe he'll get it figured out this season, but if not, Moos probably needs to cut bait sooner rather than later. 

The baseball program has been absolutely maddening since DVH left for Arkansas.  Nebraska does a really nice job in the HS ranks churning out prep talent and the fact that UNL consistently misses on talent is a head scratcher.  It's like a bizarro version of Riley where we just pass on in state kids despite them being quite good (I realize I'm way oversimplifying).

• Plus1 1

3 minutes ago, Xmas32 said:

The baseball program has been absolutely maddening since DVH left for Arkansas.  Nebraska does a really nice job in the HS ranks churning out prep talent and the fact that UNL consistently misses on talent is a head scratcher.  It's like a bizarro version of Riley where we just pass on in state kids despite them being quite good (I realize I'm way oversimplifying).

I have heard that the relationship between DE and certain HS coaches and programs is a bit icy. 

• Plus1 2
2 hours ago, The Dude said:

2 of the top qualifications for the job imo.

Exactly.

I'd bet the vast majority are on board as long as football is taken care of. We can whine about Miles and basketball all we want, and there is no reason it shouldn't improve, but it just isn't important. Hasn't been....forever.

I will not believe there is any discontent with Moos or the AD department until I see solid proof instead of unfounded hearsay and rumors. And then I would be much inclined to side with Moos over any higher ups. As long as football is the priority and other things don't get royally f'd up, all is good.

• Plus1 1
20 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

I have heard that the relationship between DE and certain HS coaches and programs is a bit icy. 

Ditto. And IIRC, we've lost in-state talent to out-of-state schools. 

Part of a coach's job is doing PR within the general vicinity of the school to lock down that talent. If Erstad isn't doing that...I don't care how little we're paying him--he needs to fix it. 

18 hours ago, JLord said:

Moos likes to drink. Often. And boosters aren’t happy about it. 

Main concern is football and doesn’t take much interest in other sports. 

Bad blood with Moos and Green. Basically a power struggle. 

Works more like an interim AD. Hangs out all day and is lazy. 

13 minutes ago, teachercd said:

These are literally all the things that an AD was back in the day and should be today.

1.  Drinking...all of their events, golf, dinners, lunches, games...it should be social, period.  

2.  Main concern should be football first, second and third.  Period

3.  Bad blood, no s#!t??  That is because one has the job that is fun and social and the other is Green

4.  What does "hangs out all day" even mean?  WTH is he supposed to be doing?  Putting air in the footballs?  Folding the teams uniforms?

ADs are there to raise money (check) and hire good coaches (check).

And dance on top of the tables and bar at the Elks club. Can't forget that important prerequisite. 

The JLord criticisms are also something I'd expect from a jilted ex-wife, and not from boosters (or Green...) upset with how Moos is operating. Starting to think maybe the problem we've had the past two decades is more about myopic, petty boosters than Harvey the Wonder Chancellor and inept ADs. 

• Fire 1

13 minutes ago, teachercd said:

These are literally all the things that an AD was back in the day and should be today.

1.  Drinking...all of their events, golf, dinners, lunches, games...it should be social, period.  

3.  Bad blood, no s#!t??  That is because one has the job that is fun and social and the other is Green

4.  What does "hangs out all day" even mean?  WTH is he supposed to be doing?  Putting air in the footballs?  Folding the teams uniforms?

Well, one of the other points that was made in the original discussion by Schaefer and Benning is that Bounds wants to be sort of a Shadow AD; which is why you generally see him at more events than Moos. Part of me wonders if this extends to Green? 

I am not super connected with HS baseball here but I have never heard anything bad about DE (or good).  But he seems like he can be a little annoying and sort brings that "I am a super try hard, gritty, hard nosed player/coach that gives it his all" attitude, which can rub people the wrong way, especially when DE was actually a crazy gifted talented athlete and not just this total blue collar guy.  Dude was gifted.

3 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

Well, one of the other points that was made in the original discussion by Schaefer and Benning is that Bounds wants to be sort of a Shadow AD; which is why you generally see him at more events than Moos. Part of me wonders if this extends to Green? 

That could be and I think Bounds is trying really really really hard to be the "cool guy" president.  You see this a lot in education now, superintendents making song parodies about snow days and using twitter to relate to students.  I think Bounds wants to be "that guy" nothing wrong with that at all.

22 minutes ago, teachercd said:

I agree that Moos seems like a throwback guy like Devaney.  He would probably enjoy a night or 2 at the Legion Club.  

You have to admit he is a complete opposite of an AD to what SE or TO was. They were both all administration nose to the grindstone guys.  I think you need a mix of it though.  Moos just might be too much of a back slapper for some boosters.  Plus he doesn't seem like the type of guy that is going to take any advise from boosters.  

With all that said, I never thought he was a long term guy at Nebraska he is at most a 5 year guy.  I think he was 67 when he was hired. 

• Plus1 1
13 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

I heard an associate AD was let go today.  Anyone else hear that?

No, but when I search 'Athletic Director Nebraska' on Google, it returns with Dave Rimington. :o

Confirmed that Moos has been fired!?!?!?!?!

2086345687_NewNebraskaAD.thumb.png.0ed8b46c20916298a62513de4770cc31.png

Not really. C'mon guys, I know better--someone probably just hasn't updated Wikipedia yet.