Discontent in the AD?

Cdog923

54 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

Unnecessarily diminishing Matt's role around the athletic department seems odd. I would imagine that Matt has done more than simply show up for game days throughout his time at Nebraska. At the very least he's had to have made connections, and formed relationships deep inside the athletic department, and among boosters. And as I said, he'd have plenty of people around him, like Marc Boehm,  to help along the way.... It'll be somebody thats been around the program, or a part of it in some way. I can't see another outsider.

I'm not even saying he'd be the most qualified. I just think he'd be worth considering. He's one of "us". He's young, and would likely stay in the role awhile. And unlike you, apparently, I think he's probably picked up on some things over his many years around the department. Assuming Frost is succt, you'd also think his presence would help keep Frost here if the NFL ever came calling.

Being around the Nebraska AD isn’t enough in my opinion. If I was hiring I’d at least want someone who’s experienced overseeing a large group of people and that large group of people is doing something important. I think he needs more time as an assistant AD before I’ll believe his experience is enough. Davison would make more sense than a lawyer, though. 

• Plus1 2
Just now, teachercd said:

Dude loves to party but more than likely it is not interfering with his job...what it is interfering with is the boosters that LOVE TO sooooo much and know that TO frowns upon fun.

With that said, Moos is very much used to being an AD in a place where no one knows who he is and can go out and have fun.  That doesn't work as well in Lincoln.

This is well said.  Definitely an old guard of boosters that are in lock step with TO's values.  

2 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Being around the Nebraska AD isn’t enough in my opinion. If I was hiring I’d at least want someone who’s experienced overseeing a large group of people and that large group of people is doing something important. I think he needs more time as an assistant AD before I’ll believe his experience is enough. Davison would make more sense than a lawyer, though. 

Yeah, you're probably right.

5 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Dude loves to party but more than likely it is not interfering with his job...what it is interfering with is the boosters that LOVE TO sooooo much and know that TO frowns upon fun.

With that said, Moos is very much used to being an AD in a place where no one knows who he is and can go out and have fun.  That doesn't work as well in Lincoln.

If the rumors are to be believed, his drinking is affecting his job.  He's not been fundraising, he's not working on facility upgrades, he's ignoring other sports.  

Just now, StPaulHusker said:

If the rumors are to be believed, his drinking is affecting his job.  He's not been fundraising, he's not working on facility upgrades, he's ignoring other sports.  

Well, if there is one thing I know about fundraising...you have to know when to ask.  This is not a HS bake sale where you are hoping to bring in 700 dollars.

I am not sure how he is ignoring other sports.  Didn't he just hire a new tennis and golf coach?  And wasn't there just an article about upgrades again?

Maybe the rumors are true but it just doesn't seem like they are to me.  Who knows though, maybe the dude is a total mess.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

I'm not even saying he'd be the most qualified. I just think he'd be worth considering. He's one of "us".

I think that would have a similar vibe to when a smattering of people were clamoring for Frost back in '07-'08. I said then that I thought Frost would've been a bad... or at the very least incredibly risky... move. Same with MD right now. It's a lot of risk for a young guy with virtually no experience. Hell, some people care a lot more about who the AD is than who the governor is. That's a lot of responsibility.

My understanding of MD's role is that there isn't a lot of actual department administration going on. He's sort of a "Frost needs, I get" type of guy, and then whatever job duties or roles fall into that.

2 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Well, if there is one thing I know about fundraising...you have to know when to ask.  This is not a HS bake sale where you are hoping to bring in 700 dollars.

I am not sure how he is ignoring other sports.  Didn't he just hire a new tennis and golf coach?  And wasn't there just an article about upgrades again?

Maybe the rumors are true but it just doesn't seem like they are to me.  Who knows though, maybe the dude is a total mess.

If he's been drinking to the point of passing out (again a rumor) then perhaps he hasn't been asking.

Ignoring other sports is more or less meaning that he doesn't care.  This isn't ME saying it.  It's, again, the rumors.

On December 3rd, he was quoted as saying that we rank 8th or 9th out of 14 in the B1G but yet there is nothing they are planning to upgrade right now.  There should probably always be something going on every year for facility upgrades.

I don't know if they are true or not.  All I was saying that if they are, then the drinking is definitely playing a factor here.

15 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

I thought Tom approved of The Moos?

I agree, that's what it makes this so weird.  It's not like Moos all of a sudden turned into a party monster.  This had to be fairly common knowledge.  At the same time...sometimes words don't do things justice.

• Fire 1
3 minutes ago, Enhance said:

I think that would have a similar vibe to when a smattering of people were clamoring for Frost back in '07-'08. I said then that I thought Frost would've been a bad... or at the very least incredibly risky... move. Same with MD right now. It's a lot of risk for a young guy with virtually no experience. Hell, some people care a lot more about who the AD is than who the governor is. That's a lot of responsibility.

My understanding of MD's role is that there isn't a lot of actual department administration going on. He's sort of a "Frost needs, I get" type of guy, and then whatever job duties or roles fall into that.

Yep. I get all that, and that's probably an accurate comparison (I wasn't calling for Frost in 07-08, and not really even in 2014-15). There's just something about Matt's demeanor that I've always liked. While I understand it'd be much more responsibility than he's ever handled, I've got a feeling he'd be up to the task. Though, could probably use some grooming, as others have mentioned.