Discontent in the AD?

Cdog923

I was a bit triggered listening to USC on the way home from work yesterday while Josh/John tried to explain away some media members' behavior over the last week or two.

It has little to do with media members hearing rumors and trying to confirm or deny those rumors. That's a journalist's job. What I take issue with is speculation in public platforms like radio and social media. Hell, Mike Schaefer sat on Sharp & Benning last week and said there are a lot of questions about Moos and his lack of visibility, and then a lot of other "noises" coming from the athletic department about certain things. Sure, he referred to it all as speculation, but the damage is done. And then Benning openly states that he feels like there's a story people want to tell and haven't yet.

I get that it's radio, but my God have some integrity. Newspapers and TV stations don't run to print or the air with that kind of hot garbage, yet all bets are off on radio and social media apparently.

• Plus1 5

1 minute ago, Enhance said:

I was a bit triggered listening to USC on the way home from work yesterday while Josh/John tried to explain away some media members' behavior over the last week or two.

It has little to do with media members hearing rumors and trying to confirm or deny those rumors. That's a journalist's job. What I take issue with is speculation in public platforms like radio and social media. Hell, Mike Schaefer sat on Sharp & Benning last week and said there are a lot of questions about Moos and his lack of visibility, and then a lot of other "noises" coming from the athletic department about certain things. Sure, he referred to it all as speculation, but the damage is done. And then Benning openly states that he feels like there's a story people want to tell and haven't yet.

I get that it's radio, but my God have some integrity. Newspapers and TV stations don't run to print or the air with that kind of hot garbage, yet all bets are off on radio and social media apparently.

Not to mention Benning is the one that brought up issues in the AD and made it mainstream....

I remember back to the time between Bo being fired and Riley being hired. Everyone was talking about how their sources were saying Frost, Gill, Tressell, etc. Not one single solitary person said "Hey my source says Mike Riley." Not one. I made a mental note at the time to not get sucked into the online "sources" and buffoonery that surrounds this kind of stuff again. I failed at that and feel foolish for posting the content that I did. 

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1
33 minutes ago, Enhance said:

A-****ing-men. I used to listen to 1620 during my morning commute, at work, and on my way home, but that business with Schaefer and Benning made me drop them cold turkey. 

42 minutes ago, Enhance said:

The constant act of being above social media speculation, and the rumor mill is what bothers me. There's an arrogance with the local media (probably everywhere), they turn their nose up to Twitter users, and message boards all the time. I don't think they realize how many people could do their jobs. The OWH played a role in circulating those Moos rumors, and than when the statement was released you get tweets like the one directed towards @knapplc saying, "the internet rumor mill remains undefeated"....Give me a break, Chris!

• Plus1 2
42 minutes ago, Mavric said:

None of that means it was easy to get him to come here.  Or are you just ignoring the part where Osborne basically had to talk him into taking the job a couple days before it was announced?

That was Frost seeking reassurance.  When bringing an entire staff, Frost didn't just get talked into it a couple of days before it was announced.

Do I think it was tough for him to say goodbye to the UCF team?  Absolutely.

1 minute ago, TheSker said:

That was Frost seeking reassurance.  When bringing an entire staff, Frost didn't just get talked into it a couple of days before it was announced.

Do I think it was tough for him to say goodbye to the UCF team?  Absolutely.

Didn't he agree to the contract, and then reportedly have cold feet until he spoke with Coach Osborne?

• Plus1 2

5 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

The constant act of being above social media speculation, and the rumor mill is what bothers me. There's an arrogance with the local media (probably everywhere), they turn their nose up to Twitter users, and message boards all the time.

Despite the fact that they have accounts on most message boards or at least visit them to take the temperature of the fans almost daily. Then crack on them afterwards. It's that kind of elitism that turns people off of journalists.

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1
2 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Despite the fact that they have accounts on most message boards or at least visit them to take the temperature of the fans almost daily. Then crack on them afterwards. It's that kind of elitism that turns people off of journalists.

I thoroughly enjoy when they get into the X's & O's of the sports they are covering. It can be comical. I'm way more familiar with the X's/O's side of basketball, compared to football, because I've played the game my whole life, and coached it for a bit. Not to pick on Chris Heady, but his analysis of Nebraska's basketball team when he joins TBL?.... Well, let's just say Chris doesn't know much about the intricacies of the game.

• Plus1 2
23 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

I thoroughly enjoy when they get into the X's & O's of the sports they are covering. It can be comical. I'm way more familiar with the X's/O's side of basketball, compared to football, because I've played the game my whole life, and coached it for a bit. Not to pick on Chris Heady, but his analysis of Nebraska's basketball team when he joins TBL?.... Well, let's just say Chris doesn't know much about the intricacies of the game.

Good lord, this. I laugh at least once when he's on there. 

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

Yet here he is with a top 20 recruiting class close to his parents with his son and wife and TO with an administration without Harvey. It's almost like Scott wanted to be here and it was his....dare I say dream job? I once remember a coach who had the name or Scott Frost who held the belief that Nebraska was his dream job....crazy to think right? 

Look Redux obviously neither of us will ever agree and I'm cool with that. 

You dont think it was as easy as I do and it's all water under the bridge at this point. We are both happy it turned out the way it did I'm sure. 

So can we agree to drop it? Our back and forth is going to result in neither of us bowing down.

You're arguing the wrong point.  Yes firing Eichorst and ousting Perlman helped land him before Moos was even hired.  Had that not happened we have someone else right now like Bret Bielma.  I'm saying once Moos was hired, landing Frost wasn't as easy as you say it is.  There were plenty of hires that could have made this not happen.  Believe what you want, just stop spinning the yarn that what you're saying about TO orchestrating this like some puppet master is true.

• Plus1 1
13 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

Good lord, this. I laugh at least once when he's on there. 

The Peterson kid from Hail Varsity is another one....may even be worse.

My two favorite local journalists right now are probably Evan Bland, and Parker Gabriel. Evan is a fantastic storyteller, and I've actually heard him say "I don't know" when asked a question about a detailed side of the sports he covers. Sam, as much as he can be annoying, delivers a lot of content, and it's usually pretty detailed. I admire his work ethic on that front.

• Plus1 2