Discontent in the AD?

Cdog923

1 hour ago, knapplc said:

Despite the fact that they have accounts on most message boards or at least visit them to take the temperature of the fans almost daily. Then crack on them afterwards. It's that kind of elitism that turns people off of journalists.

Amen!

1.  We all know they post/read this s#!t (it makes sense that they would)

2.  We all know that they use some of the stuff we discuss (makes sense)

3.  We all know that they do have some connections, but frankly so do certain posters on certain boards and really I would not be shocked if some posters are in the North offices right now, it makes sense that they would do that too.

4.  They poke fun at us, I get it, that makes sense as well but when you run with a "story" that was on twitter and then basically get smacked in the face for being super wrong, own it or...stop talking about it at all.

5.  Their sources for the most part are other guys doing the same job covering the same team.  Benning might be the only one that gets a little more info.

1 minute ago, teachercd said:

Amen!

1.  We all know they post/read this s#!t (it makes sense that they would)

2.  We all know that they use some of the stuff we discuss (makes sense)

3.  We all know that they do have some connections, but frankly so do certain posters on certain boards and really I would not be shocked if some posters are in the North offices right now, it makes sense that they would do that too.

4.  They poke fun at us, I get it, that makes sense as well but when you run with a "story" that was on twitter and then basically get smacked in the face for being super wrong, own it or...stop talking about it at all.

5.  Peterson, last night, tried saying that he has all these sources and that people don't know who he talks to daily...yeah we do...you talk to the other Husker guys.

Josh Peterson or the Hail Varsity Peterson? I can't see either having to many sources.

• Fire 1

1 minute ago, teachercd said:

Josh, on 1620...

They have "sources" but it isn't like they have awesome sources, that takes time and everyone in the North stadium is pretty much new.

Sources, lol.... Their best chance at a source is probably Sipple. Which isn't bad since he may be the most connected member of the media.

• Fire 1
9 hours ago, DrinkinwitTerrellFarley said:

It's got to be frustrating as a journalist or legit media member when terrible sites like Saturday Down South throw crap against the wall to draw attention and stir the pot

TBH, I sometimes wonder if OWH should be included in that category. They certainly have no qualms with stirring the pot now and then...

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

1 hour ago, Toe said:

TBH, I sometimes wonder if OWH should be included in that category. They certainly have no qualms with stirring the pot now and then...

The OWH operates in a territory that's high risk, high reward. Sometimes, their persistence and strategy pays off in the form of really solid journalism. Other times, it can be perceived as "stirring the pot." This runs contrary to the Journal Star (especially Sipple) who tend to operate in the other spectrum of low risk, low reward. I think the JS is often afraid to push because of their proximity and connection to the university and the fact that more than 50% of their site traffic is Husker related. If I have a choice I take the former and not the latter.

@B.B. Hemingway @teachercd Josh Peterson's (and most of the radio guys') "sources" are just local media members. The radio guys don't do the grunt work of interviewing coaches/players, building relationships, etc. IMO it's just the nature of our local sports radio. Most of them share opinions based off the actual journalism of other people so, in the end, I think they're more personality than anything else.

• Fire 2
2 hours ago, Cdog923 said:

A-****ing-men. I used to listen to 1620 during my morning commute, at work, and on my way home, but that business with Schaefer and Benning made me drop them cold turkey. 

that show is pure trash whenever Gary sharpe isn't on. i used to like benning's commentary, but over the past year or two it's really gotten weird. self-serving, i-know-more-than-you-but-i-won't-say-but-i'll-let-you-know-i-do-know, e.t.c.

• Plus1 4
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1
3 minutes ago, thatguy said:

that show is pure trash whenever Gary sharpe isn't on. i used to like benning's commentary, but over the past year or two it's really gotten weird. self-serving, i-know-more-than-you-but-i-won't-say-but-i'll-let-you-know-i-do-know, e.t.c.

Is that you Schillerberg? #Don'tBlameShane

• Haha 2
4 minutes ago, thatguy said:

its honestly more so benning than anything. I enjoy Nick Bahe as well as the guys on Unsportsmanlike Conduct. It really is just benning in the morning with his smarter than everyone else attitude he spews on the air that makes me not worry about turning it on until 11am when Bahe shows up. 

• Plus1 1